1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

KBS in Madison

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by SkippyChop, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Member

Places that have lottery lists: Steve's Liquor Fitchburg & Riley's
    Places that are first come, first serve: Star, Jenifer St Market, Woodman's West/East

I think it's coming out on Monday. Does anyone else have any other news about KBS in Madison?
  2. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Member

Madison beat Chicago in the race to create a thread for KBS truck chasing? Come'on people! This is embarrassing. ;)
    woodchopper, Stevedore and SkippyChop like this.
  3. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Member

I don't know if this is a BA Foul or not, but I'm just sharing what I've found out by calling around. :) Every first-come-first-serve store will have a bottle limit of some sort that I've talked to.
  4. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

Would be that I did, but you've clearly done your homework. I'm wondering if I can even get any, given that I have work all day Monday.
  5. Ri0

Ri0 Member

Steve, KBS should be easier to obtain compared to Black Note. I'm not saying it will be easy, but good luck to all.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

Lets hope there's some left by about 4pm on Monday :)

Also Steve's University is pretty non-committal about a particular date or how they're going to be doing it (though history shows they do first-come first-served), per their FB page.
  7. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Member

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd imagine it getting on the shelves after Monday. What do you think? And no, this is not a ploy to score all the KBS I can handle on Monday
  8. Benish

Benish Member

Let me know if there are some in Madison this Monday. I will keep my eyes open as well and perhaps stop at Steve's Liquor in the Afternoon. I'll get you some if I find it and I hope you would do the same if you find it!
  9. Dactrius

Dactrius Member

Unless there is far more distributed than last year I wouldn't expect any to be around by Monday evening, or to ever hit the shelf. I just shop at Steve's and Woodman's and only scored 2 bottles last year (Woodman's called people who put their name down to let them know it was in, very weird, only time I've heard of them doing that), and everything has been way harder to get my hands on this year than last. Last year things seemed to last for about 24 hours, now things seems to be selling out in minutes. That said, KBS went fast even last year from what I heard.
  10. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

I do wonder if their making 5x as much KBS this year as last year will affect Madison distro of KBS at all.
  11. stayclean

stayclean Member

I thought it was 3x as much? I imagine it won't have much of an effect since they've expanded distribution and whatnot.
  12. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Member

Jenifer St Market said that Founder's usually comes on Tuesdays. Woodman's West told me they expect KBS on Tuesday or Wednesday. I've also heard that it might be distributed by a sales guy driving around on Monday. Best bet is to probably call around on Monday to see.
  13. stoutbadger

stoutbadger Member

Woodmans West told me today that they expect KBS on TUESDAY, either 1PM or 4PM. They said it could be either time. They will have a TWO bottle limit.
  14. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Member

Steve's on University was indeed non-committal. First come first serve and check FB. Last year they apparently had a few cases. Jenny St. Market seems to hold on to stuff like this a little longer. They still had hopslam, PtF, and Behemoth when I was there yesterday. They also have TenFidy now, which I was very happy with.
  15. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Member

Two bottle limit? That seems pretty silly. It's sold in 4-packs.
  16. 71gto

71gto Member

You must be new haha. Shit most places sold singles last year. I cannot remember the last time I saw it in four packs
  17. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Member

I'm new to Madison, but I bought a four pack last year in Champaign, IL easy. There was also a bar there that had KBS for months and months because no one wanted to spend $9 on a bottle of beer. Funny funny.
  18. 71gto

71gto Member

Bigger the market the harder it is to get...doesn't surprise me much that you got a 4 pack in champaign, but Madison would be difficult to find I bet. $9 a bottle is insane and I wouldn't buy it either. That is crazy markup.
  19. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Member

I mean, it was a rare beer at a fancy whiskey bar. I agree it's marked up, but I'm also not too surprised given the circumstance. I'd rather pay $9 for a KBS than $5 for a Fat Tire.
  20. Dactrius

Dactrius Member

Yeah, $9 is a perfectly reasonable price at a bar for KBS. It better be because I bought two bottles at $12 or $13 a bottle at a bar in Racine where I even had to ask for a glass...

I see a lot of somewhat hard to find bombers that are $15 in the store sell for $30 or $35 at bars in the Chicago burbs, even $13 for a bottle of KBS isn't any worse than that.
  21. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

So, a bit off topic, but is Jennifer St. Market generally a good store? I've been to all the other typical shops (Riley's, all three Steve's locations, both Woodmans), but never Jennifer St.

Good luck to all on their search!
  22. 71gto

71gto Member

Did not see it was in a bar. Understandable price then, I thought you were saying in stores.
  23. Benish

Benish Member

At Steves on McKee, you have to enter your name in the lottery. I'm told it's not first come first serve. But then on University it is first come first serve.
  24. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Member

Jenifer St Market is a good place for beer. When Star runs out, Jenifer St probably still has some.
  25. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

So is it coming out tomorrow at all? Or is it definitely coming in Tuesday? I'll check in after work tomorrow I guess.

Also, JSM has a pretty good selection with decent prices. It's all the way out on the east side so I've only been there twice.
  26. Gotti311

Gotti311 Member

JSM is the best bottle store in Madison selection-wise. It is $1-2 more expensive, but their selection is unmatched.
  27. Benish

Benish Member

I will have to pay a visit to JSM someday! It is a bit out of the way but may be worth the trip.
  28. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

They definitely have the coldest walk-in cooler in all of Wisconsin! I remember seeing a coathook right outside with sweatshirts for customers who don't come in properly attired! I'd still say Woodman's has a better selection at better prices though.
  29. Ri0

Ri0 Member

No KBS at Steve's on UAve as of 12PM.
  30. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

Did they say that they thought they were getting it today, though?
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Member

"Soon" was the answer I got.
  32. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

Damn. They're always so sketched out about arrivals there. I get that it's to make it fair for everyone, but it's still pretty frustrating. I've never had the pleasure of KBS, so I'm really hoping to land some at one of the stores this year.
  33. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Member

Most liquor stores I've talked to predict tomorrow. I work :(
  34. SkippyChop

SkippyChop Member

Yea, I heard from a pretty reliable source that it will be tomorrow.
  35. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Member

Pretty sure Steve's on Junction is doing a lottery, for the working folk.
  36. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

It's probably all the beer hounds that have been prowling about Madison ever since last week's release party. Another BA who went in to ask at the same store just a bit ago got told the same thing before he even opened his mouth to ask after KBS.
  37. mattmcd4free

mattmcd4free Member

Tenuta's in Kenosha had it today (sold out) so it should definitely be in Madison soon.
  38. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

Yeah, I went in because I was in the neighborhood and before I could open my mouth, the cashier just said, "Soon." He wasn't a dick about it or anything and clarified that it was just to be fair to everyone, so I don't fault them. I just hope the yield increase of KBS will transfer over to it being easier to get than say Backwoods Bastard was. I'm hoping it'll be something like how Imperial Stout was, but I think that's probably being too optimistic.

On a sidenote, if anyone is still looking for some Founders Imperial Stout, they have some at the Viking Express Market in Baraboo for $10. Also, last I was in Mauston (it's around where I'm from, and I went home for spring break) there's still some 2012 GI BCBS at J&S liquor. Unfortunately it is $26 a four-pack and is obviously a bit off the beaten path, but I'm fairly sure that's damn near the last of it still on shelves in WI, at least in this general area.
  39. Benish

Benish Member

Sorry to go off the topic, but since most of you guys are from WI I thought this is a good time to ask, are there any stores in WI that sell Avery?

Also, a guy hung up on me when I called Steve's a couple days. All he said was wait till it is posted on Facebook and then hung up. Yes it definitely getting a little frustrating.
  40. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Member

Yes, Brennan's sells a lot of Avery.