1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS in MSP

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by hamham, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Total wine still had about half a case left, $5.99/bottle 1 bottle limit

2. I just drank the KBS I acquired and, honestly, I'd add Dragon's Milk to the list. KBS was nice, bit it isn't worth the trouble to have it a second time.

3. MNHazmat

MNHazmat Aficionado (175) Minnesota Oct 23, 2008

I just popped a 2009 vintage that I found hiding in my cellar. It's tasting great.

SwinginParty likes this.
  4. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (205) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

A year ago I would have been all over this hoping to get a 4 pack. Now.... I ain't got time for that. It's Friday night and I'm tired.

5. dave43

dave43 Aficionado (175) Minnesota Jan 29, 2007

With the law of diminishing returns and breakfast stout at $10 a 4 pack I don't understand this insanity.

JAGI410 likes this.
  6. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

I just hate it, so I don't do it

7. Agree its not worth the trouble or the price

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  8. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

North loop $8.50 per bottle
    Haskells DT $5.50 per bottle

2014 KBS HOT
    2013 KBS IDEAL

THAT IS ALL.

9. MGM calhoun had it, no limits, bought a case. Said they had 5 more cases in back (as of 9:30), had to ask as they didnt have it out.

b33rknuts and mothman like this.
  10. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Everyone now hates you

11. billhelm

billhelm Savant (380) Minnesota Feb 9, 2011

Zipps must have staggered releasing it- as a friend of mine told me he was able to get a bottle there last night.

12. I don't think so. I was there when it was brought out, and when it kicked. Others came in and were told that it was gone. They also tweeted that it was gone shortly after 2 pm.

13. seangibbs60

seangibbs60 Savant (275) Minnesota Oct 25, 2013

One of the guys at zipps told me they were planning on staggering the release so that people who worked the day would get a chance to get a bottle after work. Not sure if they did though.

14. billhelm

Yeah, I was there too in the afternoon. I was a little surprised when my friend told me that.

15. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I actually tried cellaring Old Rasputin, not terrible cellared but it didn't seem to improve enough for me to wait to just enjoy all I have and continue to buy regularly.

Heck even for a I'd say reasonably decent BA stout, Dragon's Milk ain't half bad for a year rounder and the price imo.

SwinginParty likes this.
  16. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Advocate (540) Minnesota Mar 27, 2013

Just called and they said wont get there til monday?

Was it really there?

17. will1256

will1256 Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

I think he may have taken a break from posing riddles to travelers who want to cross his bridge to make that post...

Mnmaverick, dzyneguru and BeerGoogler like this.
  18. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (205) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

I got a tip on a 4 pack near me today. But, I have to ask is anyone drinking it? Lots of FT: KBS on the web.

19. TboneRN

TboneRN Savant (355) Minnesota Mar 30, 2014

I had one yesterday, it was tasting good

20. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

I wont be drinking any more of mine for at least 6 months. This beast is hot!

21. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

i had one last night and thought it was a little hot.

McRyan likes this.
  22. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Will the Butcher & the Boar event be better this year?

23. TboneRN

Was the event bad last year?

24. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

KBS kicked in like 5 minutes last year, this year was superb, great event. Had KBS, Boiler Maker, BA Reds Rye and Backwoods Bastard.

McRyan, Mnmaverick and b33rknuts like this.
  25. Had the BA Red's Rye at the Muddy Pig Wednesday, that beer is the DEAL.

dzyneguru likes this.
  26. Last year was really brutal and embarrassing for many reasons. I learned my lessons and put everything I learned into making this one better. I think everything went really smooth and thank you so much to everyone who showed up today, couldn't have asked for better weather either.

Again, thanks a ton, hope those of you that made it enjoyed yourselves.

Cheers!
    -Ben Knutson

mnphish, XmnwildX12, SipIt and 2 others like this.
  27. Alpar

Alpar Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 13, 2009

Is the KBS still going at butcher?

28. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (510) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

No sir.
    Great bartenders in the beer garden. The guy said it was about 20 minutes last year. This year was about 45! Haha. Either way, great beers, great event. Fiancee and I were lucky enough to split the last 6oz pour they basically drained from the tap line. Glad it lasted 45 minutes this time.

29. All the other barrel aged beers were still going half hour ago.

30. BA red's rye was superb Good God

31. The event was awesome. Great weather and amazing beer and service. Had KBS, BA Reds Rye, boilermaker and Backwoods Bastard. Nice work B&tB!

b33rknuts likes this.
  32. I had some people over for a 4 year vertical last night. 13' was everyone's favorite because we thought 14 was a little hot and that the coffee had faded off a bit in the others.

McRyan likes this.
  33. MNBEERFAN

MNBEERFAN Zealot (95) Minnesota Nov 11, 2012

Anyone know if any place is getting it today? Or still has it (long shot I know). I missed it last week.

34. billhelm

Great event, @b33rknuts. Your beer list was great yesterday, as it always is.

Mnmaverick likes this.
  35. I've heard from a few folks that some stores will get their allotment this week. Not sure where or when though.

36. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I was in Lakeville this weekend and asked their liquor store about it and was told they were saving it for beer club members only. That's crap!

37. Maybe if you gave them $300 you could have a shot at it! Or for $1000, two rare beers!

But that would be ridiculous...

josephwa and McRyan like this.
  38. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Rochester got 10 cases today divided by 5 stores. 1 case is being withheld until Wednesday at one location. Otherwise, all gone already. Cheers to you truck chasers.

39. Were they limiting sales or did 9 guys buy a case each? I have a hard time believing there are enough people in Rochester seeking KBS that they would sell 9 cases that quickly! Or maybe the Twin Cities truck chasers have expanded their net.

40. TboneRN

I was able to secure a couple bottles, it was limit 2.....I have a feeling that a lot of people were after this beer in rochester. At Andys north there were quite a few 4 packs with peoples names on them...wasn't to thrilled about that, should be first come first serve