1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS in MSP

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by hamham, Mar 24, 2014.

1. In Rochester, most places were limited to two bottles with one having a limit of 3. I paid anywhere from $4.49 (wife's discount) at one place up to $5.99 at most. Called the local bar who had some last year and they said that no bars got any this time around. Boo, was nice to go have one for $7 at the bar and cellar the ones at home.
  2. Talked to the bartender today and there was a new rule to get bottles from the distributor. You had to have a Founders beer on tap for the whole last year. Nobody in Rochester qualified.
  3. TboneRN

TboneRN Savant (290) Minnesota Mar 30, 2014

Tap house in rochester will have it May 22nd
  4. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Bottle sales were limited between 2-3 depending on location. I arrived at one store at 10 and was nearly shut out, the second store, same thing. I did get a few bottles but people were aware of the release and people were following the truck. Now, don't underestimate Roch as a craft wasteland. Rare releases do in fact go quick around here...see; Black Note, BCS etc....
    TboneRN likes this.
  5. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Quoted for troof....
  6. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Wouldn't first come first served imply the truck chasers having a better opportunity than a store holding some back for their loyal/regular customers? For every way a store chooses to sell a limited release there is always someone who things a different way is better ;)
  7. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Someone here should start a twitter account called TheTruck and only tweet beer releases...
    To make this KBS related, I was able to luckily get a few bottles of KBS in Rochester by going over my lunch break to two nearby stores and got essentially the last from both.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  8. Just hit Big Top St. Paul Midway - $4.99, 1 per
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  9. Still on tap as of lunch at Newsroom $9.50 a pour think it is a 8 oz. glass.
  10. AndrewPalmer

AndrewPalmer Savant (300) Minnesota Jan 11, 2013

MGM in St. Paul (suburban ave) has some. 1 bottle limit. I picked one up, behind the counter, did some shopping and checked out. Walking to my car I wondered why my purchase was so expensive. Checked the receipt, $9.99 for 1 bottle! I have never done this with beer, but I walked inside and returned it. Questioning my why I returned such a good beer I explained I have picked up other bottles for $5 and didn't care for the price gouging. Sad thing, this is a store I frequent often, and they have lost my business.
  11. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

Good for you, I would have done the same thing. $10 is crazy.
    BeerGoogler and Mnmaverick like this.
  12. nograz

nograz Aficionado (135) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

The unfortunate thing is they will sell it and returning it probably won't phase them.
  13. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

MGM Eagan had the new Bad Weather Due Date beer for $16.99, found it elsewhere for $10.99. Not sure I will be going back to a MGM, they mentioned they price matched when I walked out...
  14. AndrewPalmer

AndrewPalmer Savant (300) Minnesota Jan 11, 2013

I'm sure it is already gone
  15. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I saw it for $14.99 today up in the NW & about choked on my tongue, so it might just be all over the board. I actually like the people who run that place, I hope this was just an aberration.
  16. Mista

Mista Aficionado (195) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

this years KBS blows - bourbon county coffee runs circles around this beer
    brewseum, lonewolfcry and McRyan like this.
  17. I don't know if I'd use the term "blows," but there are definitely other cheaper and easier to find BA stouts that hold their own against it.
  18. $10.99 for Due Date? Whoever is selling it at that price isn't very good at making money. Each time they sell a bottle, they're straight up losing cash.
    McRyan, Ish1 and evilgenius1917 like this.
  19. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Advocate (695) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Guess I got lucky or the person that picked it up for me isn't good with numbers?

Thanks
  20. For those who haven't got any yet - Big Top in Eagan just facebook'd that they got their shipment in... Limit 1
    maximum12 likes this.
  21. Funny. I stopped in around noon and the employee assured me they were not getting any.
  22. TC Metro really only get 3 kegs of the stuff? (News Room, Yard House, BatB)?
  23. There are more around. A lot of places hold them for special events. I like how yard house did it... just tap a keg and not make a big deal of it so it lasted for a few days (oh and had happy hour pours at 6.50 for a huge chalice).
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  24. Another year of not looking for this beer. Why bother? I know it's a good beer but until there is a decent allotment to the state why bother burning up time and money when there is so many good beers to be bought that are readily available.
    TEdubbaD likes this.
  25. hamham

hamham Aficionado (160) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

tell us about more beers you don't buy.
  26. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (265) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

Walk to store, ask if they have it, they give you a bottle, you pay, walk out. Don't have to burn time (not sure what burning money really means, it costs money to buy beer.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  27. Monday April 21st at 4pm Republic 7 Corners will tap KBS and 3 other limited Founders Kegs, May 7th 5pm Pracna is holding a rare and vintage Michigan night with Bell's and Founders, they will also be tapping theirs.
    stinsonwbs, billhelm, McRyan and 2 others like this.
  28. Tapping Founders Sweet Repute, KBS, Smoked Porter, Backwoods bastard, curmudgeon , Imperial Stout, on May 27th at 5pm for a casual beer dinner at Bulldog NE. Reservations can be made on their web page, each pour guaranteed, and food to compliment the beer included... A steal at $70