1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS Rationing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nas4atu, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    I was just curious about how your beer stores are handling the KBS release in regards to whether they are selling them by single bottles or the 4 pack? I keep hearing from my store owner that they are only allowing 2 bottles per customer, but I swore it came in a 4 pack.
  2. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

It comes in a 4pk. I have one on hold for me when it comes in.
  3. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (685) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

It all depends on the store.. some limit it to 1 bottle, 2 bottles, 4pk, or no limit at all. It really comes down to how the store owner wants to do it. Some like to divide it so they can share the wealth with their customers and some just want to get rid of it as fast as they can. The demand gets higher each year..
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  4. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

I wish people would police themselves a little better and leave some for the community. Nothing is more grating to me than one person buying an entire stores supply. Free-market is great and all, but be considerate people. It's a hobby, not a black friday sale.
  5. I agree, I highly support the logic of one 4 pack per customer on these types of releases. Our store here in Hickory is only getting ONE case of KBS, which made me start thinking that maybe they will only sell it by the bottle. But again, I don't know, the owner seemed to think it came by single bottle rather than 4 pack, so I'm not entirely sure of his intentions. Oh well, my name is the first on the list anyway, so I'll get something regardless.
    Willbfun likes this.
  6. Everything I'm hearing is that stores are getting less and less of this beer. Some number I've seen is that Founders is only shipping 80% of what they shipped last year. Last year I was able to get a 4-pack from my local store but this year my guy said it may just be 2 bottles/person. I know that founders just expanded their brewery and mentioned that in a couple years they'll be able to more widely distribute and brew more of the beer.
  7. The store I use back in MA has a limit of a 4 pack per customer.
  8. I expect there to be a bottle or 2 limit and to get slaughtered by markup. Should be a fun time.
    FanofHefe likes this.
  9. My and my buddies are planning on re-creating the opening robbery scene from Heat on one of the heavier loaded distributor trucks. I'm not too worried...
    JG-90, Dools9, Weebay and 2 others like this.
  10. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

this is what happened last year. if there's a way for it to be worse, i'm sure some places will figure it out.
  11. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Both stores I've bought this beer at have sold it as singles; no lists; one had a limit, the other didn't*.

*I found the bottles at this store in July or something, so I guess they weren't concerned with limits after the hype had died down.
  12. the store's i frequent were 2 bottle limits/ 1 4pk last year i expect the same this year but with more demand just 2-3 years ago it sat on the shelf for easy pick up
  13. cem1701

cem1701 Disciple (60) Pennsylvania Mar 23, 2010

Don't go to a store that slaughters you on markup. I keep the same profit margin on craft that I do on BMC.
  14. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

Breaking up 4 packs is pretty commonplace with releases like this nowadays. Most of the places I know of that had KBS last year were doing 2 bottle limits. The same thing happened with the latest Bourbon County Brand Stout release, in Michigan anyway.
  15. I have seen single, 2-bottle and 4-pack limits since I have started getting KBS. The worst offender I have seen (one of the most popular stores in MA) sold them as singles for $9 each, with a 1 or 2 bottle limit. My friend and I got one bottle. My girlfriend was given 2 bottles, strange eh? Pretty much stopped shopping there after that. The best situation I have seen here in MA was $22/4-pack. I hope to see this situation again.
  16. fargoth

fargoth Aficionado (175) Florida Oct 6, 2010

It's turned into a "you gotta know someone who knows someone" type of deal, which is a real pain in the ass for beer. I thought I'd be smart this year and hit the brewery and pick up a case but that didn't turn out like I'd thought... Still happy I got a half, way more than I would have anyway.
  17. n2185

n2185 Advocate (615) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

This batch was brewed in their own brewery before going into the barrels for a year. Next year's batch (which is being brewed soon or just has been) will be in their new facility. Next year's KBS will launch with 3x the bottle count of this year's.
  18. I'm guessing singles around Chicago which was pretty standard last year.
  19. TexasStout

TexasStout Savant (255) Texas Jun 22, 2007

I usually get two 4-packs each release, but this year only one. The demand has been unreal and I feel sorry for the stores having to turn away regular customers.
    DevilsCups likes this.
  20. Two years ago the limit at the store I go to was a four pack but the guy tried to talk me out of buying it. "There's a limit of one four pack per person. It is 11% alcohol. It is $20.99. Are you sure you still want it?" Last year it was one bottle per person. This year I assume it's probably going to be one bottle per person and you probably have to be on their new list of preferred customers.
  21. Beerlover

Beerlover Savant (380) Minnesota Mar 15, 2012

I WORK at a liquor store and even I am able to only get a single bottle of kbs... so much for the "perks" of working at a liquor store! I think a lot of this is to do with how much this beer is hyped up, like almost all of Surly's beers. Sure its a FANTASTIC beer for its style but people seem to forget there are other bourbon stouts out there that are just as good (central waters) or BETTER (bourbon county) in my opinion, and easier to come by...for the fact that they arent as hyped up, but if everyone found out these are just as good or better it'd be just as hard to find them which would be very sad for me... so everyone just forget i said anything!
  22. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Aficionado (180) Michigan Sep 15, 2012

At Least some of you get one my local stores sold out in 40 minutes
  23. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) New York Nov 30, 2007

first time in ny
    ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  24. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

4pks and singles at the two stores I got it at. It varies
  25. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Actually breaking up 4 packs of beers packaged in 4 packs has become commonplace these days with breweries such as Founders who cannot adequately supply their current distribution footprint, however, continue to expand despite that fact. As a result, people now have to run around to multiple stores in hopes to secure one 12 oz. bottle, sometimes at severely inflated prices. (However I'm not doing that this year.)

We all know there is increased demand these days, however, when people are lucky to secure a 12 oz. bottle of a beer that is intended to be sold in 4-packs in areas that have been part of a brewery's distribution footprint for a long time, and that brewery continues to focus on expanding their distribution rather that adequately supplying their current distribution footprint (taking into consideration the increased demand), then it's frankly short-sighted and a terrible business decision.
  26. Nectar

You can't just simply MAKE more KBS....

11 1/2 months out of the year they have very little problem supplying their markets with product but since not everyone is getting all the KBS they want, now all the sudden I'm seeing a ton of posts like this.
  27. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Totally agree with you if I was in charge at Founders it would be a brewery release only. They'd make more money and be able to sell it at lower prices since their wouldn't be any distributor or store that needed to make money. On top of that I think they should support the people who are local and visit their bar more often. Founders claims their going to make 3x more KBS next year but good luck with keeping quality while doing it and it won't even make a dent when they keep expanding distribution. Best idea keep expanding distribution but keep the limited releases either brewery only or MI only.
    craigo19 and theCoder like this.
  28. BlackDragon

Yes so if they can't supply enough KBS or any other limited to that many markets make a exception and only send it to the number of markets they can reasonably support.
    TomClem and Jleo897 like this.
  29. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Not sure how it works in Michigan, but from what I understand, typically the brewery will make the beer, sell it to the distributor, and then buy it back from the distributor to sell at the brewery. Can someone confirm/deny?

Not that it affects your point much, but I'm curious
  30. Nectar

Based on founders production capacity of other beers, I would bet that the choking point of production lies in the barrel aging portion of KBS. expanding would certainly allow them to make more with no sacrifice in quality.

And making it a brewery only release? You wouldn't say that if you lived anywhere but Michigan so don't try to pass it off as logical lol.
    JimDH, DCgolfpro, DanH83 and 4 others like this.
  31. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

KBS is also a great marketing tool. It didn't used to be this hard to get, I used to buy 3-4 cases a year he first 5 years Founders sold here in Missouri. In 2009 CBS on tap was available for the better part of a week. Reading the other threads, a majority are just wanting to try it. The current craft beer trend (07-now) has been fueled by beers like this, so they coencide.
    Holsie likes this.
  32. Nectar

What is "reasonable support"? Because if some of the people complaining today had their way, everyone eould get a case before it was "reasonable"

Everyone is so damn entitled when it comes to beer. If you don't get one, that sucks but its a beer. You're suggesting that since some people couldn't get some they should pull out of an area so NOONE gets some.
    JimmyW, KhakCane, regularjohn and 3 others like this.
  33. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Yes you can make more. Not by tomorrow, but they have the physical capability to make more of that product. You have to admit that it's fucking looney tunes to package a product in a 4 pack knowing full well a large portion of your customers will only be able to buy a single bottle of it if they're lucky. If you want to sell a 4 pack of your beer make enough to be able to send it throughout your distribution footprint so that the majority of stores in that state get more than a case so they can sell a 4 pack.

And if by "not getting all the KBS I want" you mean a single bottle, then yeah, I'm not getting all the KBS I want
    TomClem likes this.
  34. Nectar

Just curious, how would you change their process so that they can produce more KBS? You're right, they DO have the capability to make more KBS, as long as you don't want yours barrel aged.
  35. BlackDragon

If they didnt make Backwoods Bastard or Doom I'd agree with you they clearly have both the barrels and space to do it so don't make Doom or Backwoods Bastard and make more KBS and if they can get the maple barrels CBS:)
    TomClem likes this.
  36. Where in New York?
  37. Nectar

May not be as simple as that. KBS is aged in barrels underground which I believe has something to do with them wanting it to sit at a certain temperature during the aging process. I could be wrong but there is so much more to all of this then some of you are making it out to be. They can't tie up their entire barrel aging footprint all year long for 1 beer...
  38. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Single bottles only, maybe 9 cases in total for the entire triad.
    Nectar likes this.
  39. bigk84

bigk84 Aficionado (165) Michigan Jun 2, 2011

I ran around yesterday trying to find some, the main store I went to did a 2 bottle limit @$5 each, then I heard another store had some so I went there and ended up wanted to punch the guy, $25 PER BOTTLE! Yes, this is in Michigan...
    Marti403 and RacerX5k like this.
  40. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (160) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Single bottles only in VA Beach, local spot only received two cases.
    Cubatobaco likes this.