1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS Rationing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nas4atu, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Amazing how some stores truly try and take advantage of their customer base on special releases. I would limit the number of trips back to that establishment...
    RacerX5k likes this.
  2. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Single bottles in Newport News as well. Did your Total Wine get them yesterday?
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Stores near me had a 1 bottle per person limit, one had a two bottle limit. All were gone within an hour of arriving it seemed.
  4. Cubatobaco

Where are you at, Hanzo?
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Southside, Chesapeake to be precise. You?
  6. Cubatobaco

I'm in Gloucester, but work in Newport News. Lived in VA Beach for 10 years, but recently moved back to the other side of the water.
  7. Where are you that it is $25 a bottle? I overpaid the first time I had it a few years ago, but $25 is out of control
  8. Where I live there is no limit, but one bottle shop is selling by the 4 pack ($22), the other is selling by the bottle ($7 per bottle). What is nice is that the wholesaler is distributing with a staggered approach. Sent some out on Monday. Sent more out yesterday, and I believe more will get sent out next week.
  9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I'd be lying if I said I knew. Thats a question for Founders. I'm sure there may be a reason and I'm interested in why as well.
  10. Admittedly, I don't know what the variables that contribute to expanding production are. However, I recall reading something about how bourbon barrels are in very limited supply and aren't tremendously accessible. Again, not 100% sure on that one. Anyone else know more?
  11. bigk84

bigk84 Aficionado (165) Michigan Jun 2, 2011

Holiday Market in royal oak had it for $5 , some random liquor store near Farmington for $25, I left.
  12. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I paid $8 each for the 1st 2 bottles at a local bottle shop , and at my favorite bottle shop I paid $5.99 each for 2 more bottles... I'm done searching for this year, I figure 4 bottles is good enough... I know $8 is expensive but I figured I'd burn a bunch of gas searching all over town... I live in the Atlanta area(Marietta/East Cobb), GA
  13. bigk84

I'd pay $8, the extreme price gouging is obnoxious. Waiting in line talking with other people have also noticed it at a lot of places.
  14. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Savant (255) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

Who was selling it for $25 a bottle? I'd like to know so that I can make sure to never shop there again.
  15. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Savant (255) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

Founders ages their barrels in caves because the cave space is available and probably for pretty cheap. Grand Rapids used to be mined extensively for gypsum. My parents used to go on field trips to the mines when they were kids. Many companies, and the government, use the mines for long-term storage of paper and electronic records. I also believe the mines are also used for growing mushrooms. The caves are the ideal temperature for aging barrels of beer. Founders is also building an on-site barrel storage area. This area will undoubtedly be temperature and humidity controlled at temperatures similar to the mines. I don't know if they plan to continue to use the mines or not. I doubt that they will. It is probably a pain in the ass to move the beer from the brewery to the mines and then back to the brewery again for bottling.
    Eriktheipaman and Nectar like this.
  16. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

We had stores in the same metro area that took different approaches. Most did a single 4-pack. I heard one was doing a 3 bottle limit. I also was at a bar last night that had it on tap and the first 4 people who bought a glass for $7 received a free 12 oz. bottle. Since it was half price beer night I got quite the deal.
  17. joshodonn

joshodonn Savant (310) Florida Jan 21, 2011

I came across a store in Birmingham doing this last year... They found out what people were paying for KBS on eBay and as soon as they realized what they were sitting on they pulled it off the shelf and marked it up to $20 per bottle. I was super pissed about it so I sent an email to Founders. They called me back right away to thank me for bringing this to their attention, and low and behold, that store didn't get any KBS this year. I hadn't been back to that store since that incident last year, however I did stop in on Tuesday just to ask if they had any, and they didn't.
  18. I echo the sentiment that some people are downright greedy and will buy out the entire supply if they are allowed to. Those people likely then turn around and trade it at inflated value, rather than doing what is supposed to be done with an amazing beer: DRINK IT! That being said, in a perfect world I would be able to pick up two bottles. One to drink as soon as it is properly chilled, and one to age until the fancy strikes me (or share with someone who appreciates good beer!).
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  19. My store was 1 bottle per customer, he only had 2, 4 packs so i guess its fair.
  20. dmnielsen likes this.
  21. Are you in metro Detroit? What store was $25? I mean $10 is pushing the limits of outrageous....but $25?
  22. bigk84

Yes metro, this was some liquor store near Farmington Hills, I was stopping by my buddies that way and he heard they had some so I stopped, asked and walked out. Don't remember the name off hand, I was at Holiday Market in Royal Oak, 2 bottle limit @ $5 , talking with people there they also noticed the markup elsewhere.
  23. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Fixed that....

I'm not holding my breath for that or for it to be any easier to get...plus who knows maybe they'll send all the extra to California or something....
  24. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

You should consider sending an email to [email protected] and let them know. They frown upon crap like that.
  25. yea Ive heard from a few places that Founders has a little pull with distributors as to what goes where.
  26. My store got 2 cases and had a one 4 pack limit. So 12 people got some.
    craigo19 likes this.
  27. bcm75

bcm75 Advocate (575) Illinois Mar 23, 2013

I paid $6-something for a single bottle at my normal store, and $11 at one I don't frequent as much. Large markups can be a bit short-sighted on the retailer's part. Yes, one can definitely mark them way up and sell out. But watch how often I take my business back there in the future.

And consider this - even if a store ends up with 24 bottles to sell, jacking them up an extra $5 is only $120. Heck, they lost that much in sales from ME ALONE not going there for one visit. :)
  28. At my local shop, there was a crowd waiting for the distributor to get there. More people waiting than they were allocated. So their entire shipment was out the door in about 5 minutes. :mad:
  29. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

You may have gotten one bottle, but I'll bet you didn't have to hustle nearly as hard for it as we did.
  30. I work at a distributor that wholesales Founders. We only got 12 cases and its hard to pick and choose who to send them to. Even the grocery stores have special people they hold KBS for, to the point where they tell our other employees that they never received any when they did and don't put it on the sales floor. With places like that we've tried to give them less KBS and other places, that we know would do the right thing with it, more but it's hard to do when Founders wants you to send it to your top Founders accounts.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  31. I would contact Founders, they had posted something a while back about this type of thing in one of their forums. Although they cannot technically do anything after the distributor takes it, they are encouraging people to enform them of these inflated prices. Let them know the store and the asking price so they can inform their distributor.
  32. lic217

lic217 Savant (430) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

They expanded because they have enough of their core beers. Sure the special release stuff falls short, but there is plenty of their regular stuff. Its a tough beer to brew a lot of. They cant hold back their distribution for it.
  33. loki993

They say they do, but I don't know how much I've seen it said to them over and over and nothing changes. They really can't do anything about it anyway. All they do is say they tell the distributor.

Last year Alexs Market in Holly was trying to sell bottles for 20 dollars each. A friend of mine informed Founders. They thanked him for telling them all the while basically saying there wasn't anything they could do but they would tell the distributor.

He still has plenty of beer including founder and still puts ridiculous prices on "limited" stuff. Try 20 dollars for any limited 6 pack of Shorts, 20 bucks for a bottle of 120 minute, things like that. Some other insanely priced stuff sitting on the counter.

I almost guarantee I can go in there right now and he will have or will be getting his allocation of KBS and be selling it for 20 bucks, if not more, per bottle this year too.
  34. loki993

Yes they can, other breweries do it so why can't they? Send the regular stuff away but the limited stuff that you don't have enough of anyway keep it close or at the least limit it to where you send it.
  35. lic217

lic217 Savant (430) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

This makes no sense from a brewery standpoint. They want to make money. If they do this, then they alienate more people (the rest of the country). When new people try kbs they get excited about founders and will buy more of their beers.
    mjshearer1 likes this.
  36. One local store received one case and limited it to 1 four pack per customer. Another store also got a case, but limited it to 2 bottles per person. Both went equally as fast!
  37. Last year we had a 2 bottle limit. We were allocated more this year and were able to offer a 4 bottle limit.
  38. Seeing how much bourban is produced in this country, and that distilleries may only use a barrell once and still call it the same product, I would imagine there are plenty to go around. Acquiring said spent barrells might be tougher than I might realize logistics-wise.
    Providence likes this.
  39. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I've bought hundreds of dollars on Founders products this year and will not be able to buy KBS. I guess I shouldn't get excited about Founders and stop buying their beers?
  40. This is a bunch of bullcrap man. You wouldnt sell a car with only one wheel would you? If Founders makes it as a 4-pack, I expect to be sold four beers. If your store can only get one case, don't even bother. You're just wasting the time of 90+% of your customers. And what is wrong with just making good beer and selling it for a solid profit huh? If I want to get shafted I can just buy some Ten Fidy any day of the year.