KBS Rationing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nas4atu, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichiganderHB

MichiganderHB Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2012 Michigan

Are you in metro Detroit? What store was $25? I mean $10 is pushing the limits of outrageous....but $25?

2. bigk84

bigk84 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Michigan

Yes metro, this was some liquor store near Farmington Hills, I was stopping by my buddies that way and he heard they had some so I stopped, asked and walked out. Don't remember the name off hand, I was at Holiday Market in Royal Oak, 2 bottle limit @ $5 , talking with people there they also noticed the markup elsewhere.

3. loki993

loki993 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2009 Michigan

Fixed that....

I'm not holding my breath for that or for it to be any easier to get...plus who knows maybe they'll send all the extra to California or something....

4. ufmj

ufmj Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2013 Florida

You should consider sending an email to info@foundersbrewing.com and let them know. They frown upon crap like that.

5. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

yea Ive heard from a few places that Founders has a little pull with distributors as to what goes where.

6. Lethal04

Lethal04 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2009 Colorado

My store got 2 cases and had a one 4 pack limit. So 12 people got some.

craigo19 likes this.
  7. bcm75

bcm75 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2013 Illinois

I paid $6-something for a single bottle at my normal store, and $11 at one I don't frequent as much. Large markups can be a bit short-sighted on the retailer's part. Yes, one can definitely mark them way up and sell out. But watch how often I take my business back there in the future.

And consider this - even if a store ends up with 24 bottles to sell, jacking them up an extra $5 is only $120. Heck, they lost that much in sales from ME ALONE not going there for one visit. :slight_smile:

8. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Savant (1,233) Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

At my local shop, there was a crowd waiting for the distributor to get there. More people waiting than they were allocated. So their entire shipment was out the door in about 5 minutes. :angry:

9. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

You may have gotten one bottle, but I'll bet you didn't have to hustle nearly as hard for it as we did.

10. patkelly1008

patkelly1008 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2010 Pennsylvania

I work at a distributor that wholesales Founders. We only got 12 cases and its hard to pick and choose who to send them to. Even the grocery stores have special people they hold KBS for, to the point where they tell our other employees that they never received any when they did and don't put it on the sales floor. With places like that we've tried to give them less KBS and other places, that we know would do the right thing with it, more but it's hard to do when Founders wants you to send it to your top Founders accounts.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  11. hamsterhero515

hamsterhero515 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

I would contact Founders, they had posted something a while back about this type of thing in one of their forums. Although they cannot technically do anything after the distributor takes it, they are encouraging people to enform them of these inflated prices. Let them know the store and the asking price so they can inform their distributor.

12. lic217

lic217 Pooh-Bah (2,066) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They expanded because they have enough of their core beers. Sure the special release stuff falls short, but there is plenty of their regular stuff. Its a tough beer to brew a lot of. They cant hold back their distribution for it.

13. loki993

They say they do, but I don't know how much I've seen it said to them over and over and nothing changes. They really can't do anything about it anyway. All they do is say they tell the distributor.

Last year Alexs Market in Holly was trying to sell bottles for 20 dollars each. A friend of mine informed Founders. They thanked him for telling them all the while basically saying there wasn't anything they could do but they would tell the distributor.

He still has plenty of beer including founder and still puts ridiculous prices on "limited" stuff. Try 20 dollars for any limited 6 pack of Shorts, 20 bucks for a bottle of 120 minute, things like that. Some other insanely priced stuff sitting on the counter.

I almost guarantee I can go in there right now and he will have or will be getting his allocation of KBS and be selling it for 20 bucks, if not more, per bottle this year too.

14. loki993

Yes they can, other breweries do it so why can't they? Send the regular stuff away but the limited stuff that you don't have enough of anyway keep it close or at the least limit it to where you send it.

15. lic217

lic217 Pooh-Bah (2,066) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This makes no sense from a brewery standpoint. They want to make money. If they do this, then they alienate more people (the rest of the country). When new people try kbs they get excited about founders and will buy more of their beers.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  16. jmccullough108

jmccullough108 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Missouri

One local store received one case and limited it to 1 four pack per customer. Another store also got a case, but limited it to 2 bottles per person. Both went equally as fast!

17. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

Last year we had a 2 bottle limit. We were allocated more this year and were able to offer a 4 bottle limit.

18. char005

char005 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2011 Pennsylvania

Seeing how much bourban is produced in this country, and that distilleries may only use a barrell once and still call it the same product, I would imagine there are plenty to go around. Acquiring said spent barrells might be tougher than I might realize logistics-wise.

Providence likes this.
  19. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I've bought hundreds of dollars on Founders products this year and will not be able to buy KBS. I guess I shouldn't get excited about Founders and stop buying their beers?

20. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

This is a bunch of bullcrap man. You wouldnt sell a car with only one wheel would you? If Founders makes it as a 4-pack, I expect to be sold four beers. If your store can only get one case, don't even bother. You're just wasting the time of 90+% of your customers. And what is wrong with just making good beer and selling it for a solid profit huh? If I want to get shafted I can just buy some Ten Fidy any day of the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.