1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS Rationing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nas4atu, Mar 10, 2012.

1. I'll second this - this store deserves to be publicly shamed on BA. This sort of rampant gouging is akin to those gas stations who tried charging close to $10 a gallon on 9/11. I do have a feeling I know which store this is, though.

I can't imagine it being Meadows, since they're pretty fair on pricing.
  2. The place I frequent was limiting it to one 4-pack per customer.
    (They learned their lesson after some clown bought THREE CASES of BCBS last December.)
  3. t4haughton

t4haughton Zealot (95) Illinois Jan 24, 2013

I keep saying it. We can either complain that it's hard to get or that it's too expensive, not both. It's clearly not priced high enough. If it were $25 bottle, how many people would stop chasing trucks? I know I would.
  4. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

The store I found it at was only allowing 1 bottle per customer and selling them at $6.49 each. They put 4 cases out on the floor at 9AM and they were sold out by noon - with people only purchasing 1 bottle each.
  5. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (525) Montana Sep 15, 2010

I know the exact store!
  6. I lucked out and got 6 bottles this year. Two my girlfriend picked up for me while I was at work Tuesday and a 4 pack from another store that didn't start selling their allotment until Wednesday. All priced at $5 a bottle.
  7. Brah,
    I wasn't disagreeing with what you were saying, but the way in which you were saying it. Your point is valid and one I agree with, the way in which you were expressing it was so incoherent as to have lost the intent of the message. *monocle*
  8. alex021224

alex021224 Savant (305) Michigan Nov 3, 2012

Let me guess, the Farmington Liquor store was on 12 mile? If so, I seen a 6 pack of This One goes to 11 for $30 there.
  9. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

I get the logic, so lets price it high enough so most people wont, or cant afford, to buy it. Then it will always be around. So instead of having a chance and not getting it its sitting right there on the shelf but you still cant have it. Whats the difference?
  10. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

People say this all the time, but it is simply not true. A craft brewer with a national brand absolutely has control over the distribution of the product. They can pressure distributors, threaten to pull and use other distributors who will listen to them, etc. Now, they might not want to do this, as there is some risk involved in pissing off your distributors, but they could, and I have a feeling there would be dozens of distributors lining up to take over if Founders pulled their products from a particular distributor.

The bottom line is, Founders moves a significant amount of beer, and while KBS itself does not probably make much money, it elevates Founders other brands and leads to higher sales volume of those products - which DO make money. This gives Founders leverage; as they continue to expand, their account becomes more valuable, and KBS keeps them very squarely in the public eye. A distributor ignoring their wishes would be making a terrible business decision.
    BoneyardBrewer and imbrue001 like this.
  11. It's a 4-pack. Founders intends to sell it that way. I intend to buy it that way. Distributing only one case of highly sought after 4-packs to a store perpetuates price gouging as well as greed on many levels. I almost feel simpathy for these store owners who can't seem to control themselves. Glad we cleared that up.
    willbm3 likes this.
  12. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

The only store to carry it in Tuscaloosa, AL got 1 case of it. Sold them at $7.99 for one 12oz bottle and they were gone in less than 2 hours
  13. 2 4 pack per person limit here, though I think they're all sold out at my local shop.
  14. My local store got zero.zero bottles, so we did it diplomatically: each person gets an empty snifter and gets to imagine what it'd taste like.

/dem flavored tones!!
  15. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

Almost everywhere in Milwaukee is doing single bottle limits which is the right way to do it. I'm sick of chasing around for a bottle or two of almost every Founders limited release from Harvest to KBS so I'm not goig to do that but hopefully their expansion helps. It's amazing how selling out of something instantly can turn into a lose-lose for shops because it seems Founders is walking the thin line between hype generation and publicity and sour grapes. They can do what they want but I would say their distribution is spread a little thin on their special stuff.
  16. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Went to get gas yesterday (at a recommended location:)) and found 4 4-packs sitting on a shelf. Grabbed two and left the other two for a lucky BAer.
    Providence likes this.
  17. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) South Carolina Jun 27, 2012

18. There's many liquor stores that don't allow employee purchases for things like this. So I would say you have a pretty good perk
  19. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

After some calling I was able to stop at 2 different stores and grab a bottle at each for around $7. No store in Massachusetts received more than a case (although somehow 2 stores got 2 cases I think) and it appears that Boston (at least downtown) didn't receive a single bottle. I'm not aware of any store selling an actual 4 pack (unless you have some connection).
  20. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

yankeepride: Founders is trying to provide product access to people that normally don't have any access. The Devil in it all? You. Your last sentence wears the horns.......
  21. The local beer store near me got 7 cases (that were sold) and did 2 per person. I would rather see everyone in line (including me) get 2 bottles than only 28 get a 4pk a piece. As far as I know...everyone there at 5pm got em.

Once place by me only gives them out to friends. I shopped there quite a but until I found out my business means nothing to them.
  22. Except Backwoods is a better beer than KBS. Especially since BCBS is better anyway. ;)
    Jimmeekrek and alex021224 like this.
  23. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Actually in the grand scheme of things, they move an incredibly insignificant amount of beer. They account for pennies in the entirety of beer profits, so I really don't see them as having any power at all over distribution.
  24. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

At least it's not part of the Backstage Series. I'd rather hunt 4 packs than 750's.
    MichiganderHB likes this.
  25. Lol at all the Michigan people saying KBS should only be available in Michigan. As if the rest of us don't ever by any other Founders offerings and therefore don't deserve their special releases.
  26. 2 bottle limit in NY, walked in and out 3 times and got a 6 pack @ $8 a piece.
    craigo19 likes this.
  27. I see both points on the "keep it as a 4 pack" and "sell single bottles" arguments. The problem is that many places only get a case. They can either sell 6 4 packs to 6 people, making them very happy and disappointing many others, or they can sell it as 24 individual bottles, making 24 people content, and disappointing less people. It's a no-win scenario, really.

I'd rather see 24 people get a chance to have some than only 6. If people are actually mad that they only got 1 bottle, well, odds are you're not seeing the big picture, or perhaps you're just selfish.
  28. GBallHead

GBallHead Savant (265) Indiana Oct 6, 2011

I put my self on the list at my normal beer stop a few days ago, and had my girlfriend do it as well, just incase, im glad i did because it was a one bottle a person limit, I went up there today (after i already grabbed my bottle yesterday) and asked the owner if they had any kbs left, and as the owner tried to hand me one from behind the counter the cashier blatantly told his boss no, we had 30 beers and 30 people on the list. I was kind of surprised at first, but oh well I still got 2 bottles thanks to my girlfriend, so i can enjoy one now and have one later and see how it ages in the bottle, oh well i guess you cant always get what you wanttttttt, no matter how bad you want it.

moral of the story : have your friends or girlfriend/wife/mistresses reserve beer for you or come with to purchase it for you if there is an allocation, one bottle a person is a joke
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  29. Some state laws prohibit distributor switches at the drop of a hat. It's not so easy.
  30. on my way to school I decided on a whim to stop in at my local beer place to be greeted by the owner saying, "Kirby, there you are. Just got a case of KBS in and I saved you a 4-pack" even though they had a 2 bottle limit. Beer gut never lies!
    szmnnl99 and ufmj like this.
  31. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I agree with you 100% and I think stores should split it up and sell it as singles. Spread the wealth and appease more of your customers. My beef lies with Founders. It seems bananas to me to sell your beer in 4 packs when you cannot even remotely come close to supplying enough of it to your distributors/retailers so that they can sell it by the 4 pack. When the #1 Founders store in the state can only get 1 case, something's gotta change.

I understand they can't make an infinite amount of KBS, but they really need to figure something out so that either more stores can get a case or other stores can get a couple cases. This is pure looney tunes
    Zbyler likes this.
  32. This point goes well with another made in another thread, I believe, which was the complaint that Founders simultaneously increased production along with its distribution footprint. This leaves many stores still getting very limited amounts of the special beers, and it makes it hard to satisfy all their regulars, much less their more casual customers.
  33. Around DC/NoVA it was 1 or 2 bottles/person; last year most places seemed to be selling by the 4-pack.
  34. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

Holsie likes this.
  35. Holsie

To say "simply not true" is not knowing the facts and the complexity of distribution. In my region there are over a dozen distributors carrying a very large number of products now. These are contractural obligations with huge money on the line and cannot be "dropped" as you allude to at the drop of a hat. Having a jackass overcharging for a case of beer is the proverbial "drop in the bucket" for these guys. I truly believe that Founders doesn't want to see it happen but they are not going to sweat a case here and there--then to have to repeat the issue for so many other limited items. I would rather them concentrate on beer.

With a friend who owns a bottle shop, a family member involved in retail and a friend who owns a distributorship, I have inquired about these issues and it is really a fine line they all walk. I asked the bottle shop owner if he ever complained to a brewer about allocation practices and he was quick to remark that the brewers really tried to "stay above the fray." Distributors have a lot of rules from so many different brewers but a vested interest in moving product. I am just so happy a lot of other people are opening and existing breweries expanding but alas, the next "KBS" will be just around the corner.
  36. The beer shop that I buy my beer from has 2 locations. They got 1 case per location and if you let the beer guy know you wanted a 4 pack you got it. Going to pick up my 4 pack and my 2 Oak Smoked Old Guardians this weekend! I guess you can sell in 4 packs if you get 1/store... ha-ha. I think I'm just lucky knowing the beer guy at the store and talking to him frequently.
  37. KBS sitting on a shelf? I don't believe you. They didn't even make it to the shelf where I live. From the delivery truck, to behind the counter, then to the consumers hands.
  38. I live in a city of 80,000 people, and have one store in town (to the best of my knowledge) that gets one case and sells single bottles...last year at $6.99 per bottle. It's usually gone within an hour or two at most, which is during the morning while i am at work. Does that suck? Yes. Do I cry about it? No....instead, I put some effort into it, and was able to go out on Monday after work and get myself 6 bottles through planning a route to hit several stores that were within an hour of total driving. People need to quit whining about what you didn't get, and work to get what they want. It's really not that hard to figure out. If you couple this with actually developing relationships with managers at stores, they will remember you and take care of you.
    lic217, ufmj and Holsie like this.
  39. Holsie

Spot on.
    ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  40. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

I put in some serious work today. 14 bottles. I also have the ability to get a few more if I play my cards right. But I think I am going to stop there.