1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS Rationing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nas4atu, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

We've got a two bottle limit in my area, but being as how there are a few stores in the area, its possible to gather up 6 or more if you're willing to drive around. Meh. Not for me. Just thinking about it makes me tired - lol

Stores are just limiting to try and get the beer into as many different hands as possible with the limited supply they've been given and the demand they know exists - spreading the wealth, as it were. And I'm down with that. If its two a year, then its two a year. Its not the stores' fault. And I don't want to hoard.

Hey. Its not like there isn't always a TON of great beer out there. I could pick up a Yeti, BCBS, Old Raspy, Speedway, or Stone RIS stout on any given day.

Cheers.

2. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Says the man from MI.......

3. 2 bottle limit where i live. i managed to get 20 bottles, ran around like a mad man.

JxExM likes this.
  4. Broanoke

Broanoke Savant (420) Virginia Feb 23, 2013

Where are you getting BCBS and Stone RIS on any given day??

5. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (545) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Sigh.... things like this are the reason this hobby has grown tiresome... I still love drinking great craft beer but things have gotten crazy with the lengths some folks go to acquire these rarities... I'm not hatin'.. I love KBS, its a great beer... but I can say im done breaking my neck looking for it... loads of other options that are delicious in their own right... I guess the older I get, the less important it seems... things like this just make the Brooklyn BCS and Ten Fidy taste that much better....

6. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

I'm from the great state of Michigan and proud to say I easily got a case without going to the release and even turned down prob another case, so others could enjoy it. #thirdworldproblems

JxExM and robwestcott like this.
  7. If its only a 4 pack why is there a UPC code on the bottle?

8. Went looking for KBS, found it. Was limited to 2 bottles and one location and 1 at another. No markup, $5 a bottle. Good day.

ufmj likes this.
  9. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

To play devil's advocate a bit...I live in a city of 600,000+ (not including highly populated surrounding areas) that easily triples during working hours and is riddled with beer loving hipsters. A handful of cases were distributed here...literally...and only to a few stores with no store getting more than one case. I also have good relationships with a few stores and none of them were able to get a single ounce, so that didn't get me anywhere. I managed to get 2 bottles, but not everyone's situation is the same.

Jimmeekrek likes this.
  10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

I've got at least 2 local stores that just have BCBS in stock. It's just been there, pretty much since the 2012 release.

And the Stone - dude, I don't know what to tell ya, it just seems like its there as often as not - in one of a couple of local stores. It just kinda blends in with the other Stone shit, and it'll be there for like a month. It'll sell out eventually, and then nothing for while, but then Bam! It's there again. They must get like a case seasonally or something. So, I mean, I'm playing it a little bit loose with the "any given day" stuff more to make a point about all the good beers out there, but insofar as Stone RIS and BCBS, I guess I'm just lucky.

11. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I think it should be a brewery only release. I don't live in Michigan. I wouldn't attend the event.

12. Glad my trading buddy has three (so far) for me. Guess hell be getting some good extras for all the legwork. :)

13. How do you feel about places filling growlers out of kegs?

14. aasher

Michigan is third world now huh? Damn economy...

spinedocschabel likes this.
  15. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Haha very true. A local store had a 2 bottle limit (after I was told it would be a whole 4-pack multiple times), so I was glad my girlfriend was with me so I could get a 4-pack. :)

16. I got 3 bottles at $5 from my favorite beer store and 4 at $7.99 each at a the usual price humping assholes near me. Every year I keep forgetting how JUST ABOVE ordinary this beer is. I may have a 4-pack available for trade soon.

17. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Just curious, why do you feel that way?

18. My local store in Muncie, IN got 6 cases... Sold it as one 4 pack per person limit.

aasher likes this.
  19. Variety is the spice of life my friend. While KBS is my favorite beer, Backwoods Bastard is only slightly below KBS. It's great Backwoods isn't as hyped yet so I can buy at least 2 cases of it a year and drink 1 a week. Where as KBS is extremely hyped and I was lucky to get 24 bottles this year so I can drink 1 every couple weeks over the course of the year. Not to mention Backwoods is only 3 bucks a bottle from Founders where as KBS is $4.75 from Founders

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  20. lic217

lic217 Savant (460) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Plus Brooklyn is only $7 a four pack. I cant stop buying the stuff. Ten fidy is also good, but a tad expensive to me (almost $16)

szmnnl99 likes this.
  21. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

I can live with the fact that you don't believe me.

22. aasher

Because the beer itself isn't brewery only worthy in my opinion. I've had KBS each of the last five years and it used to be a better beer. We did a three year vertical last year and the older the KBS, the more coffee and bourbon it had (which was strange). But really, Bourbon County is a far superior product and beer in my opinion and much more plentiful. KBS just has this hype monster that sucks everyone in.

Naptown25rs likes this.
  23. Shhhh . . .why'd ya have to mention Central Waters? He did not mention Central Waters . . . it was certainly a typo! ;)

BeerGuyEsquire and Nectar like this.
  24. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Yep lol.

25. So it can be scanned? Federal regulations? This is some kind of trick question isnt it?

26. Well I would hope most people arent drinking straight from the keg 'cause that would be a bit unsanitary.

27. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

$25 is a lot of corn but if it was my only option to get a taste of '13 KBS - you bet your balls I'd pay it. Seems guys are paying $5-$10 a bottle any way $5.49 for me)...what's an extra $15 for this whale?
    *flame suit on*

To clarify - I'd buy ONE for $25 not a case at $25 per bottle (although I'd prob consider it lol)

BMitch likes this.
  28. Let alone people might pick up an extra 6 pack or bomber while they're there if the single bottle KBS price was fair.

bcm75 likes this.
  29. Bourbon Barrels are in fairly high demand for more than just beer. Scotch producers will use second use Bourbon Barrels as well as things such as producers of hot sauce.

30. But if founders wanted it to be sold in 64oz growlers they would have packaged it like that!!!!!!!!!

31. Yes exactly. Look at Moab Brewery.

32. That's fine. I wish I lived where you live to see it sitting on the shelves. lol

33. bblackham

bblackham Disciple (55) Michigan Aug 9, 2012

I live in Michigan and was able to get a case total (from a couple different places). But in Ohio the couple places I went to were going to sell it by the bottle via a wait-list. Amazing. Glad I live in Michigan just so I can get more KBS. Best beer I've ever had. Period.

34. Not all single bottles have a UPC. Check out Yeungling ... some have it on the neck some don't. There is no law to have a UPC. You have a UPC on the bottle because you want it to be able to be sold as SINGLE bottle. If Founders wanted it only sold as 4 packs then they wouldn't have a UPC code on the outside case or on the bottles. They would have only had a UPC on the 4 pack holder. My store sold KBS as singles so that I could have 24 semi happy customers and 10 angry rather than 6 very happy and 28 angry.

35. abaculy

abaculy Savant (255) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

Actually, this year saw 3X production. 2 years ago they told us it was cheduld that way, and last year they said they brewed 3X as much for a 3X release this year vs last.

36. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Savant (280) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2011

KBS is A great beer. Managed 2 4 pks with the gf. I gotta say i love central waters PM just as much or better and its just sitting on shelves. Im glad I am able to grab one anytime for my bourbon coffee fix and not have to worry about limited release hassels! To each there own. Cheers

37. michigan proper isn't third world. but the upper peninsula is !

38. Jleo897

Jleo897 Zealot (80) Connecticut Sep 9, 2012

39. Mkay, and I never had a problem w/ the option of splitting a 4-pack down and selling singles. You're the one who keeps imagining I said "4-packs only". If you want to split them up and/or place a bottle limit on them so more people get a chance, great. The total of 4 of those singles should be a little more than the recommended retail price of a whole 4-pack.

randylangford likes this.
  40. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (450) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

Cleveland: Local WFs got 2 cases. 2 bottle limit to those on the waiting list. $5.99/bottle.