KBS Rationing Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nas4atu, Mar 10, 2012.

1. This post probably goes against my better judgement because it's going to be taken the wrong way by some. I really do feel for the people who love this beer but got shut out or only got a couple bottles. But this thread really does underscore why some shop owners just choose to hook up their regulars rather than try to be fair and divide up their bounty equally. It's plain to see that for the latter, nobody is really happy. So with that said, put yourself in the store owners position; for a release like this would you rather have everyone be pissed because you are offering 2 bottles at $6 apiece, or just make the people happy that spend hundreds of dollars a month in your store? For the record, I am not one of the chosen few...I will end up with a little under a case, only because I got 12 from the brewery and not because I am the apple of my local store owners eye.

2. ressling

ressling Savant (270) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

1 or 2 bottle limits in most major stores in Atlanta this release. Stores did a timed simultaneous release. There were lines well before the release time.

3. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

... and ruined it for everyone else

markgugs, ewright, themind and 2 others like this.
  4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Store owners in MA had to break into singles because only a small percentage of stores got a single case. None of my regular shops that I have a good relationship with, one of whom I know the owner personally, were able to get a single bottle. I managed to scrounge 2 bottles and I'm very happy with that judging by the state of affairs in MA. I got these at stores I don't shop at and I'm glad I was able to get a bottle at each without paying a kings ransom ($7 per). What perplexes me is how little KBS MA seemingly got compared to other New England states. I can't even fathom people buying close to a case's worth of it.

5. I would have assumed Surdyk's before you mentioned that it was in MI...

6. LloydXmas

LloydXmas Zealot (85) Massachusetts Jul 31, 2012

I've been told by my sales rep that my store will only get 4 bottles.

7. Not much of a beer scene here. Kbs is still sitting in stores.... It's been 3 days

8. themind

themind Savant (475) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

In NJ they were charging $11.99 a bottle. Glad I have a connection, got it at $5.00.

9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

The call list where I buy is two pages long, they got 3 cases, even with a one bottle limit some guys on the call list got shutout. I managed a 2nd bottle at TW,but I'm not chasing trucks.

10. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

How does that work?

11. themind

The store manager is my friend so when stuff comes in he gets it for me. Just got a 4 pack, that's enough. Two from my buddy and two at $11.99. Not hard to figure out.

12. FrankHammer

FrankHammer Savant (485) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

I just bought a 4 pack of 2012(!) KBS at some country party store about an hour away from where I live. I was there for work, saw the place and figure "What the hell" and went in and asked. They said they didn't get any but then we started talking beer for 10 minutes or so and the guy goes " Ya know, I think I might have some 2012 in the back, let me check." Came back with it, charged me $40(!) and away I went. I've never had it so it was worth it to me. I happened to get two 2013's after that so I'm looking forward to a side by side.

13. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

That's quite a connection! Sweet!

14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Wow he hit you at 10 bucks a piece, but I understand, its only money and you couldn't replace the KBS in your hands.

FrankHammer likes this.
  15. themind

Yea calls me whenever stuff comes in or he gets something good. I got a call last night for eight Heady's.

16. themind

Yea I have two other bottles waiting for me at another place, not sure if I will buy them again at $11.99.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Since KBS allocation is based on Founders sales I don't mind places making you buy a 4/6 pack of something else Founders to secure your bottle, I mean it only help for next years release. But some of these prices I am reading....as much as I love KBS, I just couldn't do it. $50 a four pack? $25 a bottle?? GTFO.

18. Drols

Drols Aspirant (25) Wisconsin Apr 5, 2013

Had to purchase $40 worth of beer, including at least one other Founders 4/6 pak to get 1 bottle of KBS. This will be my first taste of KBS. It better be better knock my socks off! In all seriousness, I'll drink all the other beer regardless, so the free bottle is a bonus. I just wish I could have gotten at least a 4 pak.

19. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Thats the problem its a lose lose for the owners. No matter what they do how they allocate it and sell it people will still be mad about it.

20. If the "cave" is where I think it is, it is only a mile or two from Founders. You can see it from 196.

21. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (390) New York Nov 21, 2008

If e DOT Hill can more or less single handedly halt ebay sales Im sure Founders could do something about price gouging if it really grinded their gears that much. Its probably not worth the hassle to them. Best to put on a caring face to the public though. Not like anyone will actually call them out on it. Pass the bolt cutter bro!

22. themind

Not a $144.00 dollar and counting sucker. I will now exit this conversation, you can have the last word.

23. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (330) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

After some debating with myself last night, I pretty much just said, "Ah, fuck it," and decided it wasn't worth my time to drive to the city and spend money I need for beer I don't need (any of the Founders 4 packs that I would have had to buy) just to guarantee myself 1 damn bottle of KBS. I'm sure I'll find a restaurant that has it or make a trade with someone for a bottle but no way am I going to waste good money on beer that I have plenty of. It just seems so ridiculous for a beer that I hear is not better than BCBCS, which I have had and enjoyed. I guess this is the one part of the craft beer culture that I am not fond of. I have better things to do than chase whales...

lwburns15 likes this.
  24. Hanzo

Is it such a bad thing though to buy a four pack of Founders beer? I mean they make some amazing stuff. But yeah, at the end of the day it's just beer and you can find other beer just as good or better with less effort.

25. DHS1029

It's not a bad thing, but when I already have a fridge full of beer, many of them already Founders, I do not want to buy it just so it can sit even longer in the fridge. I usually just buy Founders for their stouts, so my options were pretty much RIS or FBS and I have enough in the fridge that I feel like I would have just been throwing money away. Plus, with the weather warming up, I don't like to drink a lot of stouts once spring hits. I just don't understand why stores have to put all these conditions on buying a single beer. I just wanted to get one so I can say I had it, not have to empty out my wallet.

26. DHS1029

Out of the blue I just decided to go on Beermenus and see if anyone else around me had any KBS left. Found a place that is less than 15 minutes from me and I can get a bottle for $6.29 without having to buy anything else. I plan on picking it up tonight. A lucky twist of fate I guess...

27. MarkLaFay

MarkLaFay Aficionado (125) Indiana Nov 25, 2010

I am definitely one of those guys that buys several 4-packs, mainly because I have buddies that don't make it out and also for trading for other beers. That isn't shameful is it? It's not for hoarding it's for servicing my own "distribution footprint" haha.

28. lulz, nhindian tr0lled u good

29. Hanzo

You may want to call first, it is likely gone.

30. DHS1029

I did call, that's how I found out they still had it. The lady I talked to was kind enough to put a bottle on the side for me with my name and phone number so that I can come pick it up after work at my convenience :) Day = made

Hanzo likes this.
  31. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

I did one 4-pack/customer. I just can't support the breaking of packs. I would make more money out of it of course, and I am not doing my part to share the wealth I suppose. At the same time, I am getting it out of my store as quickly as possible and everyone who had shown up early to wait actually received a pack(though my colleague told me a gentleman had shown up at 8am and had to leave for work, I feel bad for that guy).

32. For the record, I am against price gouging, but in favour of breaking up the four pack, the more people that get to try it the better.

33. I think everyone here is against price gouging. :) It's absolutely unacceptable. If I saw it, I'd have no problem going to the counter and explaining why I'm walking out without buying anything. If enough people vocalize it directly instead of just walking out, maybe that would get the point across to these stores better. Probably not, but wishful thinking.

34. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

So what do you think of Doom a BB IPA I dont like most IPAs so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I see tons of people complaining about how fresh an IPA is don't they relize that letting it sit in a barrel means it won't be as fresh?

35. I'll let you know when I try it next Sunday. Also they only let Doom sit in that cave for 4 months so it's not like it's extremely over aged

36. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (310) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Bottle limits really are in the customers best interest. If anything it insures you/more people at least gets one. Believe me retailers don't like seeing grown men whine about not getting something, and there is a higher profit margin on singles its win win for everyone.

JxExM likes this.
  37. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

I think the people in this thread that got 12-15 bottles are just as bad as any store that is price gouging. I understand its a good beer but why do you need more than a 4 pack at the most? Don't be a hoarder and let some others get a chance at it.

~Z

themind likes this.
  38. Hanzo

No one "needs" beer limited or otherwise, it is a recreational luxury item. So not sure where you are going with that logic.

39. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I hear people complain when their IPA is 2 weeks old post a thread asking how many people would buy a 4 month old IPA lol

40. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

correct so why are people buying 12-15 bottles or cases at a time of a beer that has very limited quantities? I see people bitching in this thread that they didnt get any or their store was out and then others saying they got a case or a bunch of bottles....... would you agree that this is just as bad as price gouging.

~Z