1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS Statement from Founders

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mattmc1973, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

U mad bro?

2. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I was #34 ;)

3. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I wasn't in the first 300. I was skunked entirely, and I'm not complaining about that. I'm simply stating that some of you guys are ignoring that this is a legitimate gripe. Bait and switch also applies to price/value and availability. Looking up a wiki definition is awesome.

Changing the allotment from the stated amount on the release date is changing whether or not it's worth spending a weekend to go drink beer. It's great to meet people and usually the lines are a lot of fun. But there was nothing pouring in the line that you couldn't also arrange at a local tasting, so let's not pretend that the purpose of standing in line isn't to buy beer. Let's also refrain from presumptions of each others motives. My group was one of the only ones around us that brought and poured beer. We supplied the area around us in line. I've never sold a beer, and I only open rares and whales when I can share them. But you have my motives pegged, don't you?

Maybe $100 here and $100 there don't matter to you. I have to consider which road trips I can take. I wouldn't have done this trip for 12 bottles, because I could get 12 bottles for $150 or less. I can make the absurd beer drinking party happen without a road trip.

4. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Then stay in Chicago.....just sayin

biga7346, TheMonk41, NSaad23 and 3 others like this.
  5. Seems like some of the people around here are mentally ill.

Anyway, I'll be happy with 2 bottles of KBS this year.

6. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I hate to beat a dead horse, but there was no switch. Did Founder's have cases of regular Breakfast Stout or Imperial Stout for the same price as the KBS? No they did not.

I didn't go to this release because I knew it would be nuts. I may find a bottle or two in Chicago to buy and I will most definitely find it on tap maybe 3 or 4 times.

Also, complaining about beer releases is the absolute definition of white people problems.

Steimie and Vav like this.
  7. Why doesn't Founders just go brewery only with KBS? I say that as somebody who "loses out" on it, but it's already spread so damn thinly that the people who end up getting it are those who play the "new release game", not necessarily those that support Founders all year long. Just feed it to the locals IMO.

nanobrew likes this.
  8. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Because they don't want to host a DLD type event.

The usually fun Founders employees seemed a little grumpy and overwhelmed when they saw 600+ waiting for KBS.

9. If that's the case then go the other direction with it - no brewery sales. My basic point is that I feel like when you try to make everybody happy you end up making nobody happy.

10. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I had a great time with great friends drinking great beer all night and day. I think it makes perfect sense to cut the allowing in half and completely agree with Founders decision. Kzoobrew really made my day and it was great meeting new peeps. Happy I got bottles, and BA Sumatra Brown was off the charts delicious. All around exactly what I hoped for!

GrueLurks, sarro and decadance like this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I would not be surprised if its one or two 4-pack limit next year.

12. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

I was right around the low 300 mark. I would have received my full case, but it ended a couple people down. Now am I happy that I got some KBS, yes.

However, I just wanted to say Fonders anticipated the bigger release because they purposely printed 600 tickets. Not 315 plus 20 for people standing in line after the fact. 600 tickets. They understand there was a strong situation for a half a case. Just wish they would have said that. Still love Founders for any employees reading, just need change for 2013.

13. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (410) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Ahhh, my friends in the early 400's. great times and great pours yesterday. Dan I'll try not to bother you too much for some good local stuff from ya...... thanks again for the great beers guys and I'll bring some whale-ish shit next time we have the chance, sorry for insulting my 400 friends with new glarus thumbprint beers in a sea of Barrel Aged delicious-ness.

14. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (210) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

me and the wife had a bad ass time with you as well highlight was seeing the mayor of michigan absolutly hammerd!
    ohhh and watching the dude from indian sleep in his own puke:). also id like to take a poll on how many of the people bitching were from chicago?? also your telling us that 12 extra bottles would have made or broke you coming to founders? also maybe dont trade beer away before you get it ;)

decadance likes this.
  15. I love how people hate on Chicago people yet crave our Goose Island beers...... ;)

16. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Ohhhh I wish more of you could have witnessed the donut drop and everyone counting down the 5 second rule....

decadance likes this.
  17. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (210) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

saw that too. and pliny i did not bitch about how michigan did not get any henry/vanilla/bramble/coffee :)

PlinytheFarter likes this.
  18. I did enjoy that. And I must say it was gracefully done.

19. haha but you wanted to!

20. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

The guy sleeping in his own puke was disturbing. I really hope his friends came back for him. It was definitely amateur hour with him.

21. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I'm pissed that I missed that... I had went up and talked to him and Stoutfest earlier. Kzoobrew expressed his disappointment that I did not bring a Unicorn costume with me.

22. One bottle every two weeks till the next release seems about right to me!

23. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Those must have been the donuts sitting in the box near the back of the building that my roomate very seriously considered eating until he could see the dirt on the donuts. haha

24. hahahah those did look good though!! the crazy pink frosted one... mmmm

25. raymo55

Why did it take so long for "DonutGate" to start on here?

And why has Kevin (also known as "kzoobrew", "MoM", "MoMBA") been so quite on here today? ;)

26. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (710) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Haha, yeah, he didn't respond to some texts I sent him yesterday...hmmmm. Someone is hurting today ;D

decadance likes this.
  27. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

haha sorry for giving you so much shit, we all had a lot of fun and had so many good beers to pass around. Thanks for putting up with me and my people. I think the late 300s - early 400s is where it was at!

TheMonk41 and FritterFlip like this.
  28. You keep saying Bait and Switch, but the brewery didn't actually use that tactic..

You seem to be part of the vast minority on the topic as well..

29. raymo55

I second that....we had a great time

30. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

Late 300s-early 400s were a group of people just pulling out craziness, and all in good moods even if they weren't going to get beer. Highlight of the day for me.

dblab33 likes this.
  31. Let's stop talking about the case cutting... the people who waited arnt happy.. those who came later are.. done. Lets get to more fun stories such as this doughnut gate thing. I had my avatar printed out and name written on a small poster and met a few BA's with it! More should do that, it was awesome. One highlight for me was my slightly intoxicated friend asking one of the garlic pretzel ladies for her coffee. She said,"Oh it is cold, how about I come back after I sell some pretzels and take you to get some coffee". My friend was all about this because he wanted to warm up and he had it in his head that she was maybe interested in him. About and hour later she walked by and he yells out, "Hey what happened to the coffee!?". She actually handed him a fresh cup she went out and bought for him! This was amazing. Sadly he was kinda dissapointed because he thought maybe she wanted to take advantage of him on the way to the place.

32. Agreed - I had a blast at #394. Thanks everyone in my area of the line for making the day a great event.

33. Where is everyone who is saying that this is not "bait and switch" getting their definitions? Are you simply Googling it? If you look through some case law there are many more facets to bait and switch than simply switching the product.

34. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

Minus Donut Gate (I was the person getting delivered the donut), my highlights were the guy who backed his car into another car, then just proceeded to sit in it and sleep and the guy (With the Chicago Bears sweatshirt) who puked, stumbled to into his car, slept about an hour, got out, pissed on the wall (While being heckled the entire time), and proceeded to get back in his car to sleep.

35. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Anyone who thinks they have a case is welcome to file suit against Founders.

EDIT: Case in the legal sense. If you have a case of KBS, please BM me.

36. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I had number your mom.

trginter likes this.
  37. I am not implying this at all! I simply want clarification, in defense of those who used bait and switch, on why this is not bait and switch, as after some brief checking it would appear that this could qualify as bait and switch.

38. I wish I had a case of KBS :)

39. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

It is not like the first time ever an allotment has been changed....hell at least it wasn't switched AFTER they sold some people entire cases (ask some people at DLD 2010 about that...I got 4 per ticket and 2 people behind me they cut down to 3 for a while, only to go BACK to 4 later in day from what I was told). Bait and switch? Nope. Questionable for those who camped out for a distributed beer? Clearly. Questionable for those who arrived pretty effing early and at least got 12? Nope.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  40. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

You made me cry bro, my mom's died recently...and by the way, you are one sick mother fucker doing dead old ladies!:eek: