1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KBS Statement from Founders

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Mattmc1973, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Whatevs. Founders will never see another dime of my money after this blatant ponzi scheme.
  2. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

I saw the box of donuts when I got to the back of the building as well... and saw one of the guys in front of me eat one. Guess they couldn't have been that dirty, ha!
    PlinytheFarter likes this.
  3. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

This is my thoughts. When it gets that big of an ordeal, I would cut off brewery sales. I dont think they need to do the brewery sale. It was probably a nod to the locals but got a bit out of control. That place is usually packed, I don't think they need it for the extra business. Or do it Bell's style and release it without telling anybody, and limit to a 4 pack per person.
  4. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

[​IMG]
    maltmaster420, Corbet and Jnorton00 like this.
  5. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Trust me, it had to have been pretty dirty. This guy will eat almost anything. Im sure if he knew it had peanut butter or something in it he would have eaten it even if it was dropped in a mud puddle.
  6. Are you the professor? I'm thinking yes and if I am right thanks for the pour of mother funker! I also had a wonderful time.
  7. decadance

Yes I am the prof, and you are very welcome.
  8. Tony412

Tony412 Savant (255) Michigan Jan 26, 2012

This was my first brewery release, I arrived at 6 am on the advice of people who had attended last year, I received ticket #594. I showed up to meet a few good people, drink a few good beers and buy some KBS. I was able to do all 3, and I am thankful that Founders tried to get an acceptable amount of KBS to as many folks as possible. I tried my best to represent the craft beer community in a way that I would want people to see it represented. I met and befriended the two guys behind me, they turned out to be great guys, with a great wife and fiancé, and beer karma turned out to be a very real thing. I didn't have any whales to bring, but I brought as much respectable and very good beer with me that I could. The 2 guys who were behind us, Matt and Scott, didn't bring anything to drink, and with more beer with me than I could ever drink by myself, I never let the glasses of the people around me go dry. The only person I denied beer was the guy who demanded that I give him a ZD after I traded for a case, more than a touch rude for me, I kept walking. From 6 am until almost 2 pm we all drank, ate and shared stories from our lives, when we each purchased our 12 bottles, Scott sold me his 12 bottles for $40 and thanked me for being so generous with the beer I brought. I left Founders with a case of KBS, but more importantly I left with new friends and can't wait for the privilege to raise a glass with them again. I hope some of you had as nice of a time as I did.
    Shagtastic, GRDave, EricCioe and 6 others like this.
  9. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

[​IMG]

Future picture of the "travelers" at the 2013 KBS release.....if you will ever buy Founders beers anymore :(
  10. I got there before 4am thinking I'd be in the first 100...final original ticket was handed out right in front of me and I would have missed out. So, of course I'm bias, but I'm glad they extended it. Also, for all the Ticked off posts I'm reading, you people all seemed to be having a good time for being so pissed...maybe you drank too much and forgot all the fun you had? No question that these things can always be run better, but I enjoy making friends with strangers, gathering around good brews, and enjoying life. In my opinion, you play the hand your dealt...the guy in front of me had been going to KBS day for many years. He knew better than anyone how out of hand it had gotten...did he get all pissed off? Nope, he was happy that his new friends in line behind him got some KBS. Not all of us have to feel/act like he did, but I believe he represented the BA community well.

*I'm now prepared to receive hate mail.
    FritterFlip and Jose2412 like this.
  11. Ahaha no that's funny shit. Awesome line.
  12. Actually just bring the sense of humor you have. Great hanging with you and laughing a ton.
    decadance likes this.
  13. This was the most egregious case of cooking the books we've ever seen. What Founders did was exactly like Enron.
    CBlack85 and decadance like this.
  14. Our group from Chicago were ticket holders 590-593. We can't really express how greatful we are that Founders split up the cases. If not for the case split, it would have been two times in the past two years we would have been shut out. Last year we showed up at 8:45 and were off by ONLY 30 people. We got in line at 5:45 this year to be only 30 people away from not recieving any KBS!

Anyways, I really enjoyed trading growlers with a bunch of BA members. Thanks for feeding my addiction. I have way too much beer now but I am expecting to go through all of it on St. Patty's Day!

Also, many thanks to Elkhunter36 for the many beers you shared and definitely the kegs of Hefe and Chocolate Milk Stout, both were great! (next time we need to figure out a way to hide them from the homeless man.) Props to all that shared, especially Tony412 for sharing the BA Kuhnhenn with us. Damn good beer!
    Tony412 and sullenbee like this.
  15. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Sounds like Founders did everything they could to serve their customers. I wonder how many pre-trades are going to fall through now, though. I guess that brings the old adage up once again, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."
  16. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

All I know is at 388, I definitely wouldn't have gotten any. In fact, I had totally convinced myself I was fucked about 2 hours before the tickets were given out. I still had a kickass time and tried awesome beers with people who were the epitome of beer advocates. At that point, as much as I wanted the beer and despite the fact that I got there at 4:30am after 2 hours of shitty sleep, I was just happy to be freezing my ass off, sitting in a chair a total stranger was happy to share, and sampling beers I'll probably never see again in my life.
  17. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Russian River: "We have 1000 cases of Beatification... Not enough to distribute, let's just release it at the pub."
    Founders: "We have 1000 cases of CBS... DISTRIBUTE TO HALF THE COUNTRY!!!"

Only CBS because I don't know the number of KBS cases. But, seriously, why the everlasting FUCK do they distribute this beer outside of Michigan? It makes no sense to me.
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  18. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I didn't know that was Kzoobrew. One of the highlights and funnier things to happen of the entire day. Stumbling and falling to grab the last 2 donuts and throw them into the box.... Wow. Amazing.
  19. GrueLurks

GrueLurks Aficionado (190) Michigan Jul 21, 2008

I took my pork butt and stayed home drinking some great BA Great Lakes Stout while playing pinball all night. I was thinking of y'all tho. I too think Founders was okay to cut the allotment, they don't owe anyone anything in the first place.
  20. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I said this earlier, but the bottles being opened in the late 300's to early 400's were nothing short of incredible. It was a true who's who of craft beer with tons of heavy hitters from all over the country. I've never seen anything like it, not even at DLD. Thanks for the generosity.
  21. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

That very well could have been me. Kzoobrew was talking up those doughnuts all night I just couldn't let them go to waste (I also hadn't really eaten anything in 12+ hours and though I was going to die). I picked either the cleanest one, or the one that hid the dirt the best. I'm still here, so it couldn't have been that bad.
  22. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Im gonna say that the food truck probably would have been a better choice. The brat and pretzel roll I had were the Bomb!
  23. SHCC

SHCC Savant (260) Massachusetts Feb 22, 2012

I feel bad for the people who waited in line and received less than they thought. I feel bad for the people who waited in line and received nothing. It is tough because you have a very limited good beer that has a fairly large area of distribution and you have people who buy up as much of the beer as they can, when they can get it. Until production increases, this is a situation where a lot of people are not going to be happy. Unfortunately, the supply isn't there.

For the Michigan folks, as a New Englander (who was introduced to Founders when I lived out that way) , I can tell you it isn't easier to get KBS here. Maybe somewhere else in the country it is, but not here. Last year, I couldn't get a bottle. I figured that I would probably need to take off the day from work to have any chance to get a bottle this year. However, I am finding that stores who have received KBS in the past aren't getting it this year (or aren't telling people they are getting it) and a few of the places I thought I might be able to get a beer from have now resorted to taking reservations or making lists. It is kind of discouraging to go to places and hear about lists of 20+ people for perhaps a case of KBS. I am just trying to find a place where I have a fighting chance to buy a bottle of KBS, and after going to at least a dozen stores, I think I might have that chance at one or two places.

I can't imagine Founders wants all of this either. In New England, my understanding is that KBS distribution is tied to the store's distribution of other Founders beers. So beers that sell more Founders, get more KBS, and stores that don't sell enough Founders do not get KBS. I think that is fair. But, with this whole KBS popularity and the fight for this beer, you have cases where the people who drink Founders are getting shut out just because of the scarcity of the beer. I quit going to a particular store because I bought Founders year-round beers regularly with no ability to get the limited releases, and when I questioned this, I realized that this situation would likely never change. I think that is the problem breweries are going to face. Founders probably likes the popularity of these release days and getting people to talk about their specialty beers, and I doubt they care if a guy who only buys KBS and other specialty beers gets half a case as opposed to a full case, but they probably do care if that guy in Grand Rapids who buys at least a case of Founders a month gets aggravated by KBS Day. Eventually, I think breweries are going to have to find ways to reward their most loyal customers or they risk losing them when these limited releases shut regulars out.
  24. iowahawk

iowahawk Disciple (70) Iowa Mar 16, 2008

Last year we got in line around 715 and I got ticket # 75. From what I understood the first person in line last year got there about 4 or so. Compare that to this year when we got there about 445 and ended up getting ticket # 382. Founders could not have anticipated people camping out this year, as there were no campers last year, so I think they made a good decision once they realized what was going on. I was irritated that they passed out tickets so late and had not addressed what they planned to do, because it was really hard to figure out where you really stood. Also there weren't enough porta pottys and trash cans , as no one seemed to pick up after themselves and there were bottles piled up on the ground everywhere or broken on the ground.

I contrast this release to Darkness Day release this year, which I think was handled perfectly. Similar situation with a special day release and distribution, campers getting there night before, similar numbers for allotment. But Surly communicated to everyone in line around 830 that they were about to come thru and ID everyone and hand out bracelets(1200!), and there were pleny of porta pottys and trash cans, hardly any mess. Once that happened and you got your bracelet you were good as they said you could get your beer anytime until 4. This let everyone know where they stood in respect to getting bottles and this also stopped line cutters. At 11 when they opened up people were pretty chill, just made their way in without a mad rush, some got bottles right away others waited while they enjoyed some great Surly beer. it was about the best way you could manage a beer release.
  25. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

I wonder if it was the same guy who picked up the cigar city winter warmer bottle from this pile on the side of the building and, discovering that there was still beer in it, slammed the rest.

[​IMG]
    KBS Release02
    gustogasmic likes this.
  26. I've never attended a bottle release, but I can say once I do it will be to meet BA'ers and *hopefully* get whatever brew is being released. Since I've never been to any, I don't understand how people were cutting line. Do idiots just walk up and get in front of people with some sort of lame excuse entitling them to do so?
  27. northernbrews

northernbrews Savant (355) Michigan Apr 12, 2006

Couldn't have said this any better!!
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  28. page101

page101 Aficionado (190) Michigan Jun 16, 2008

Thanks Mike for cracking some awesome beer. I was bummed that they ran out of Justin Bieber tix before my number was called but was happy they had some KBS as a consolation.
  29. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

The Bieber tickets line was priceless.

Dude rolls up in a van and says "What are ya'll waiting for?"
    With a calm and straight face the guy close to me says "Bieber tickets."
    I nearly crapped my pants I was laughing so hard. Beer may have made it seem funnier at the time too.
    GrueLurks, raymo55, LaneMeyer and 3 others like this.
  30. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Well this thread was fun.

I had a great time, tried some great brews, met some awesome people, and somehow managed to not get drunk (yay!). The Frangelic Mountain Brown on tap was simply amazing. I'm an idiot for not walking away with at least one growler. Didn't get to see this supposed donut incident, but I did get to see the leftovers when I rolled through that part of the line around noon. We tried to convince some guys around us to eat one but no one would go for it. Should have offered my half case of KBS, I guess ;)

My only gripe is that I think the earliness of this event was ridiculous. I couldn't believe the number of people who showed up for a beer that gets distributed (albeit fairly limited). If this is the way it's going to be from here on out, you can keep your Founders release parties, and I'll just keep heading down to Jackie O's :)
  31. komondor

komondor Disciple (60) Ohio Nov 6, 2010

I know this will be an unwelcome comment but I wish they would raise the price of KBS. This is a perfect example of what happens when you keep a price extremely lower than what the market will bear. If KBS was $15 a bottle, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Would all these people be showing up for $360 cases? Plus people wouldn't buy as much and there would be more to go around. Plus it would probably kill the aftermarket sales of KBS where people are charging double what they paid. I'm not saying KBS should be $15, I'm pulling that number out of my butt but most people can probably agree that it should be more than $4.75/bottle. Maybe with the extra profit, they could buy some more mines to expand production more.
  32. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

KBS is good, but is it $5.00+ good?
  33. decadance

Yep, Michigan is just booming with abandoned mines to store beer.
    PlinytheFarter likes this.
  34. komondor

komondor Disciple (60) Ohio Nov 6, 2010

Or warehouse like every other brewery in America. It was a joke. The price needs to rise though. If they really want more people to be able to try it, that is the only way. And that is always the reasoning I hear that justifies them switching to half cases last second. I've gone two years in a row and haven't been able to buy a single bottle to bring home and I disagree with cutting the allotment. The people that got there early enough put in the extra effort. Demand greatly exceeds supply. Charge more and they will drop demand to more closely match supply and they'll make more to reinvest back into the company to expand supply and possibly drop prices in the future.
  35. Wow after reading all these pages I am so glad my little girl had a divisional band competition this weekend preventing me from going (probably wouldn't have gone anyways since I am not a die hard KBS fan). Really cannot say I am surprised it went this badly considering what a piss poor job Founders does just dealing with distribution to the east side of their own home state on special releases I can't imagine something like this being handled any better. Glad to see all the comments on how much fun most had with the parking lot party though, that was for me one of the best times I have had since I started drinking craft while waiting on CBS this year. It is truly getting to the point for me, at least, where it is becoming more about meeting and sharing with the people then it is about the beer anymore. From all the pages I read I would have to say the allotment should not have been cut and definitely the people should have been informed that there was going to be a shortage because anything less definitely sounds like greed on the breweries part. They were almost certainly banking on the fact that those who were left in line that long even though they weren't getting any beer would at least come in and order from the taps. Tell the crowd too early and of course people are going home and they lose tap sales. Oh well we all vote with our pocketbooks and I for one never have a problem picking up other local breweries beer styles before I grab a Founders anymore (thank goodness for Short's, Dark Horse and Bell's who receive the majority of my $$). Kinda of a bummer seeing everyone bashing each other over this because it is truly all of us that make this experience great not a place like Founder's who just provides the beer.
    Number45forever likes this.
  36. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Where's the pic of your haul? I want to see people get half as outraged as they would have gotten! ;)
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  37. decadance

Charge more and demand will drop? Have you met many BAs? The price the market will bare is currently higher than what they charge, on that point we agree. However, they could bump the price per case by 50$ and still have the same exact shit show as Saturday.
  38. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Bumping up the price per case by $50 is only a bit over $2/beer. I bet if you charged $10/bottle so that case was $240 a significant number of people would drop out. I mean, I really want Beatification, but given the opportunity to get more than my allotment I'm not even sure I would. An allotment is already $90!
  39. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

ISO: Extra allotments of Beatification FT: Straight cash homie.
    MordorMongo likes this.
  40. stfun37

stfun37 Aficionado (175) Indiana Jan 16, 2008

Exactly. I love the fact that JOs dropped bottle limits. It has helped ensure that more people get bottles, and has cut down on the number of mules, from what I have seen.

Founders made a mistake by changing the rules at the last minute, but made that call with the best of intentions.

Seems like from here on out, the two sanest "systems" for hyped beer releases would be

A) online reservations, where the person who reserved the bottles must pick them up in person, and/or
    B) Don't announce allocations until the actual release, when the number of bottles available can be divided by the number of folks showing up.

As long as lines & douchey behavior are rewarded, they will continue.
    iceatalamo and northernbrews like this.