1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

KDS

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by TheEarl, Nov 13, 2012.

1. TheEarl

TheEarl Aficionado (165) Washington Apr 10, 2012

While I've had a couple 2 oz. pours, until Friday, I'd never had a full pour of Kentucky Dark Star and, as I know a lot of your are cellaring this beer, I thought I'd post some impressions.

It's still great. I think that the time in the bottle has rounded out the malt character a bit. I'd also say that, while still very apparent in the nose, the bourbon taste might have decreased but the barrel/vanilla taste seems to have increased. I found the barrel notes reminded me of Firestone's DDBA quite a bit.

I'm considering opening another in December to see if I notice any change.

Anyone else have one of these lately?
    geoffsm12 likes this.
  2. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

had one a week ago or so...thought it was doing well...the mouthfeel hadn't really changed (still thin) which is my biggest complaint on the brew...still my favorite BA oatmeal stout though...and probably my favorite Seattle beer as well.
  3. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Spot on description, Billy. It's a delicious beer, but too thin. That's easy enough of a problem to correct. Hopefully Fremont does. :)
  4. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

It's interesting, being relatively new to the beer scene mouthfeel has been an elusive thing for me to characterize until I had KDS. It was the first beer that I've had that I immediately thought had a thin mouthfeel. At least I know I wasn't imagining things.
    csano likes this.
  5. csano

Yeah-that makes sense. There are some beers where I find myself thinking, "Is this thin?". It was blatantly obvious in this case. Again, delicious beer, which will be even better, should they correct this. It does seem like they have taken care of this with recent batches of the Dark Star (the base). Had it on Nitro at the beer garden recently. It was all kinds of ridiculous.
  6. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

Cellaring shouldn't affect the mouthfeel very much. Flavors and smell will change with time but mouthfeel is basically built into the beer by the grain bill and mash temps. I would imagine that several years might have an affect but I would guess carbonation would be the biggest change.

as far as I know at least, feel free to correct me.

Is the brewery the best place to snag Fremont bottles? or would bottle works be a better choice? I'm gonna be in the neighborhood next week.
  7. csano

It'll be challenging to find B-Bomb and KDS anywhere in the area, but you shouldn't have a problem finding other regulars/seasonals, either at Fremont, or the local bottle shops/grocery stores.
  8. Yes is the answer. Bottles and cans are slightly cheaper there plus you have the added bonus of drinking super fresh Fremont beer while you visit.

They do not have any B-bomb or KDS for sale right now but you can get A-bomb in cans, bottles and growlers.
  9. You're coming a week too soon. If the non-haiku is to be believed, B-Bomb 2012 is coming out December 1st.
  10. sfbeer1

sfbeer1 Aficionado (135) California Jul 19, 2012

Does the brewery ever have B-Bomb or KDS on tap?
  11. Yes, I have had both on tap at the brewery.
  12. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

When I was there last week they had KDS on tap, nitro & cask! It was awesome! Cask did it for me, so good. Delicious on nitro too. Didn't try the regular tap.
  13. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

mmm I got to try some last year, damn good.
  14. csano

Was it KDS or the regular Dark Star? If the latter, I agree. It's delicious on nitro.
  15. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

You're correct, it was regular Dark Star. Delicious. It was also two weeks ago. My days get confusing.
    csano likes this.
  16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Probably because of the beer.