1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Keene, New Hampshire

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Sejordan2, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 16, 2011

Hi Guys,

Any can't miss places in Keene? I have family in the area but haven't visited for years. I know about Elm City but would love to hear about any other good places in town. I heading up for a somber reason and wouldn't mind ducking into a place to grab a nice pint or to bring back a nice bottle to the hotel room as sort of a respite. Any recommendations are welcomed!

Cheers!

2. Sorry to hear about the somber occasion. Elm City is the only place that comes to mind when I think of beer in Keene. I've only visited a few times, but have always enjoyed the place. If you're looking for somewhere else, though, you could hit Harlow's in Peterborough if it's not too much of a drive. They're redoing their kitchen right now, so it's just drinks for the moment, but they have a decent taplist (good for the area) and a nice, laid-back space. Or there's McNeill's and Whetstone (not an actual brewpub as of yet) over in Brattleboro. Those are the only places I know of though.

3. huuvola

huuvola Savant (290) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2005

Check the Places section, if you haven't already. But don't get your hopes up for Elm City. I visited last summer and was very underwhelmed.

I agree with FrankLloydMike's post: If possible, go to Brattleboro if you want a better craft beer experience without having to travel a huge distance.

4. Sejordan2

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help!

5. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (555) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Elm City is worth the trip if time is limited. There is an excellent bottle store just off the town square. And I agree with the Brattleboro suggestion- a trip to McNeills, Flat Street or Whetstone could save your day. 20 minutes away. Not much time, Elm City or the bottle shop.

6. Just offering different options. Generally, I really love the vibe and like the beer at McNeill's, but last time I went to both last April I preferred the beer at Elm City. On the few occasions that I've sat at the Elm City bar, I've also struck up some pretty good conversations with some other patrons. In either case, the beer won't disappoint even if it won't necessarily blow you away.

7. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

For bottles in Keene come over to BrewTopia on Washington St. We have a damn fine selection for New Hampshire.

8. Sejordan2

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be in on Saturday,

Thanks everyone for all the help! It looks like Elm City and Brewtopia. I don't think I have time to head over to Brattaboro on a tough weekend. I appreciate all the suggestions!

9. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Aficionado (230) Delaware Dec 17, 2004

Haven't been there in a few years but Fritz Belgian Fries had a decent variety of beers and the fries were outstanding (just don't get them to go in a clamshell box.)

10. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

^this

I live in CNY and my parents live about 30 minutes east of Keene, so I stopped in on my way home for Christmas. Their selection was solid and and owner (Zack) was very helpful, friendly, and enthusiastic.