Keeping beer

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MichPaul, Feb 25, 2012.

1. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Hey, living right outside of GR, I have become a Founders man through and through...
    But being quite new to "Craft beer", I had a question. I have stocked up on a few seasonals that I LOVE. Can I keep bottled beer that is not corked for very long before it becomes flat? And does it need to be refrigerated?
    So far I have it in a cool basement where it's probably between 50 and 60 degrees.

Thanks for any help!
    Paul

2. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

The wording in your post is a bit confusing but I'll take a stab at this. I assume by "not corked" you mean beer that has a standard crown cap, not beer that's been opened. If that's the case you can keep generally keep capped bottles for years without them going flat. The real question is will the beers you have benefit from aging. Refrigeration will slow the aging process down, while storing it in your basement will speed it up. You'll want to choose which beer goes where based on it's style.

If you look on the right side of the page BA recommends whether a beer is suitable for cellaring. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/19

MichPaul likes this.
  3. No, it won't go flat. A cool dark basement is a great place to store and age beer. However, there are certain styles that are suited to aging and some that aren't. IPA's and Double IPA's you wouldn't want to age. Hops fade with time, so something like Double Trouble you'd want to drink soon. Refrigeration helps keep hops longer, so put IPA's in the fridge to keep them fresh. Stouts, Barleywines, Old Ales, and such will be fine in your basement for a long time. Hope this helps!

MichPaul likes this.
  4. MichPaul

Helps GREATLY! Thank you! I said "Non corked" because on BA, when they talk about aging beer, they seem to only address beer that has a cork in it. I wasn't sure if beer with the "Traditional crow" would have a longer or shorter shelf life. That's all. I'm not talking about aging this stuff long, it's just with my favorite beers like "Double Trouble" and "Breakfast Stout" being seasonal, I like to buy a few extra 4 packs and let them sit and drink them sparingly till they are back in season. But if the "Hoppy" beer loses flavor quickly, I better just continue the enjoyment with reckless abandonment!!! Ha ha!
    Thanks again for the help you 2!

5. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I would highly recommend keeping both Double Trouble and Breakfast Stout refrigerated if you have the space. Breakfast Stout is one of the few stouts that I don't feel age benefits, the centerpiece, the coffee flavor tends to fade with time. It all comes down to personal preference but I wouldn't hang on to Double Trouble for more than a few months after the bottled on date. Breakfast Stout isn't going to hit quite as big of a wall as Double Trouble so I'd say hang on to some bottles and drink them through the year. Judge for yourself, perhaps you'll enjoy it more with age.

raymo55 likes this.
  6. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

If the beer is capped and is hoppy, refrigerate it as early as possible and drink it. Don't age hoppy beers. Anything that isn't a huge hop presence, keep it in the back corner of a closet or some other area that maintains the same temperature and low light presence... boom you are good for at least 3 years from my own experience.

7. MichPaul

GREAT info guys thank you! Now one more ? Living in the Midwest, have you used your garage to store your beer in the Winter? I know our garage stays just above freezing, so is it wise to take advantage of this for the hoppy type of beers? Save some space in the fridge?

8. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

9. MichPaul

I think Ima give it a try... I just may have to build some shelves!!!

10. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

you can store some in my garage, I already have shelves! lol

MichPaul likes this.
  11. MichPaul

Ha ha ha! Good one man! You ever store it that way Ron? (Not in someone else's garage...but your own) :) Some Winters I would worry about it exploding, but on a very mild Winter like this, it would probably be PERFECT!

12. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

I did a quick search and ended up finding this listing ( I've found other ones that go up to 30% before ).
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/table-freezing-points-alcohol-solutions-192138/

As you can see, storing beer in the garage if it drops below 20 degrees is a BAD idea. Don't risk that which you want to cellar.

13. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

yah I would not do that paul, theres still gonna be nights this winter where it drops below freezing, if your basement if you have one has any shelves you could store it down there, thats what im doing.