Keg Cost Question

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by carrolri, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrolri

carrolri Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Washington

Hi all,

I am getting married soon and am looking at getting three 1/6 barrel kegs of Deschutes. I have to go through the distributor of my venue and the price I am being quoted seems really high. Anyone able to comment on the cost of 1/6 barrel kegs of Fresh Squeezed, River Ale, and Jubelale?

Thanks

2. dphi

dphi Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

About $70-80 on average for most seasonal Deschutes in my experience.

edit - this is in Oregon anyway, not sure about WA.

3. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Say what, high prices? Grab a pitchfork, torch, and post the relevant info here:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/jacked-up-prices.221853/#post-2892079

Cynicism aside, venues like hotels, country clubs, and banquet halls will charge a premium over what you can get at a store. You're essentially paying retail price for every glass sold out of the keg and not the keg itself. Same with hard liquor which is why a $26 bottle of Makers Mark costs $90+ at a bar or similar venue because you're paying per shot poured.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Can you not supply it yourself? A friendly store or bar might be able to get you a bit of a price break.

5. carrolri

The venue is in Oregon, and I would guess that HighWine is correct in that the lodge is choosing to set a price that reflects retail. Unfortunately I can't do it myself for the reception, thanks OLCC. I will just have to try and have a discussion with them.

6. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington

Can I ask what they've quoted you? It shouldn't be more than x4 the price from the distributor. I can probably help you out on negotiations once I know how much they are marking it up.
    Source: used to be a caterer :slight_smile:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  7. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

I'm pretty sure that's not the OLCC, but rather just the venue using them as an excuse. I supplied some of the beer that was poured at my wedding. I could certainly imagine them charging you an hourly rate for the bartenders if you're supplying your own booze, though.

BBThunderbolt and carrolri like this.
  8. carrolri

200 each--so not four times, but more than I was expecting based on searching other sites.

9. pgreenx

pgreenx Devotee (301) Feb 5, 2006 Oregon

I did the same for my wedding in Oregon. 5 kegs. The kegerators were the bitch tho.

10. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington

Yeah 200 is pretty standard for craft sadly. If they were charging you more, it'd be a whole different story. It's 5$ a pint and if they were doing full margin, it'd be 6.50$ a pint, which is what a bar might charge for a similar keg (65$ 1/6bbl). Can you not do a 1/2 of something? Deschutes 50L kegs less than 500$ would be a good deal? Obviously if you aren't pouring 120 pints it makes no sense:slight_frown:

11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

FTFY

12. carrolri

Thanks all for your responses. I think I was caught off guard, since most prices you can find online aren't retail. Going for three 5 gallon, for tasting opportunities. I will just go ahead as planned.

13. tiffanya

tiffanya Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2006 Washington

For Deschutes beers, about $95 per 1/6BBL + $45 refundable keg deposit is typical if purchasing via retail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.