1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Keg deposits....How much do you pay?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by CKYnick01, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Just wondering what kind of range you guys have to pay when buying kegs of beer? Ive payed anywhere from $30 bucks all the way up to $90 (I think that was victory but they refunded $95)?

Also what happens when you return the Keg, is your store nice enough to give you a refund or do they hold off for another Keg purchase?

Cheers!

Nick

2. typically around 30, but yes victory hits you for 90 and does refund 95

you can basically return any microstar keg to anywhere and get you refund and not worry bout buying keg from them

3. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Nice enough to return your money? They have to, it is a deposit. Am I usually buying another?, yes, so it just rolls over, but it isn't like giving you your money has anything to do with them being nice.
    $30 in CT generally, Cape Cod Brewery in MA used to charge $125, in NY it used to be $30 plus $75 to the state as a and if the barrel was not returned within 90 days it was theirs (you could still get the 30 back though)

4. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

I think I paid $20 at my local in Illinois. I always get a new keg, so the deposit is always rolled over.

Strangely I do have to fill a form out each time I get a keg, so the police can track underage the keg if it shows-up at an underage kegger.

5. DougC123

In CT they tag / sticker each keg, in NY they do not.

6. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

Most I've paid is $80 for Sun King and their damn plastic kegs.

Liquor stores always charge me $30.

7. I don't typically get "charged" anything, the places often take an imprint of my credit card but don't run it unless I don't return the keg after a number of months. The place I go most often knows me and do a "frequent customer" thing so they took my credit card number one time a few years ago but never do anything with it. Most places, when you say you have a kegerator, are excited to try to make you a regular customer.

8. DougC123

I'd rather have my $30 with them than my credit card account number sitting in a file somewhere. That's just me.

9. Both 1/6 and 1/2 have been $30 and I have gotten cash back.

10. What can I say, I'm a risk taker!

11. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (325) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

My local store in MD charged me $30 for the first keg and I hold onto an empty and trade it for the full keg when I pick it up. I never return the empty unless I am picking up a full. He never refunds the deposit and never charges me again. I always have a keg either empty or full and he always has my $30.00. It works well. If any brewer has ever charged more for a deposit he has never passed that cost along to me.

12. The point of the deposit is not to recover any costs. It's also not a profit item. It simply provides some incentive for the user to return it when he's done with it. The degree of motivation is proportional to the risk of theft or, in many cases, laziness ("I just didn't get around to it"). In my neck of the woods, Aldi essentially charges a 25 cent deposit on a shopping cart for which they paid, maybe $100-$200. People who are pinching pennies on a can of peas are motivated to get their quarter back at the end of their excursion. In an area that is saturated with dorm-brewers, a keg deposit may be $100 or more. A mom and pop liquor store in a retirement community, maybe $10.

I don't know what keg deposits are around here. All my draft beer is homebrew and I don't charge myself anything ;)

13. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I don't pay any deposits. I've been shopping at my local liquor shop 10 years now. I know the owners and they know me and they don't charge me anything. The local brewery I get kegs from, they keep my card on file and don't charge unless you don't return the keg.

14. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

Our deposits are $30 for 1/2 and 1/4 kegs, and $40 for 1/6 kegs... they used to be cheaper but we have to keep them above the scrap values otherwise we'd never get any kegs back to give back to the distributors. Most people just roll their deposits over to new kegs or other instore purchases though.

15. Is there actually more metal in 1/6 kegs? You'd think they'd have less metal in them since they are smaller.

16. broseidon

broseidon Zealot (85) Ohio Oct 17, 2012

They do, actually. They are smaller however the metal is thicker overall. It doesn't make much sense initially, I totally admit. Plus they tend to be a lot less beat-up overall so that might have an effect?

17. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

The place I go to charges $30 for sixtels. (don't know if they charge more for bigger sizes) If you return an empty and buy a new keg that same visit you get 10% off that new keg. I try to do this all the time.

18. sjc83

sjc83 Aficionado (130) Ohio Apr 4, 2013

my friend owns a beer store so I pay nothing, but in Cleveland its $30 I think.

19. canoale

canoale Aficionado (175) Ohio Apr 9, 2010

Indiana, Ohio & Michigan all $30 doesn't matter the size . No real time limit but some say 30 days but don't enforce.