1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Keg Lube Replacement?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by jbakajust1, Feb 28, 2013.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Anybody have a good option to replace keg lube? With all the costs involved to start kegging, if I can save a little $$ somewhere, I would like to. Is there another lubricant gel around that doesn't cost $5 for a small tin? Thanks for the help.

2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I use a product called "Taylor Lube" and anticipate my grandchildren inheriting the tube I bought 3 years ago.

I got it at a restaurant supply store. I think it's main use is ice cream machines but it works fine as keg lube.

3. That $5 tube is a lifetime supply.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

fda silicon or fda lube from grainger will do it. it is less than $10 + shipping for a full tube. the only thing you need to be careful of is not having it get contaminated. if you are lazy and get beer or some other crud on the grease you will probably not want use it in your system.
    I keep my lube inside the kegerator sealed in Tupperware. easy and always where I need it.

you'll certainly only need to buy keg lube once in your life.
    Cheers.

5. I was watching a video on kegging the other day and the guy said that KY jelly is the perfect alternative...whatever that stuff is.

Edit: here it is.

6. Just don't get the flavored stuff! :eek:

daysinthewake likes this.
  7. jbakajust1

Turns out my club actually has the petro gel for $2.60 a tube, and since they've got the cobra tap and gas in for half price as well, I will be getting them all, and still saving money. Thanks for all the help.

8. billandsuz

well, thats the thing. the whole idea for using lube is to maintain the flexibility of the rubber parts. and since petro gel is by definition a hydrocarbon, and hydrocarbons destroy rubber, and are not generally something you would want to come into contact with food... they invented fda lubricant for this purpose. it's not hydrocarbon and it's food safe. same with vaseline, or petroleum jelly. it will work fine for a while but the proper stuff only costs a few dollars. plus if you have ever tried to clean vaseline from an o-ring and its seat you will know. you need a solvent to break up the oil. then youll want to clean the solvent. you definitely don't want solvents near your keg of beer.

if your club has had success then that is great. the real stuff is only a few dollars however.
    Cheers.

9. any food grade ,plumbers grease will work .Same thing they use on your sink faucets.

10. jbakajust1

Good to know. Thanks. :D

11. You may be thinking of something else. Petrol Gel has been used almost universally in the Food Service industry for a thousand years (actually, about 60 years, but I'm trying to make a point ;)). As far as cleaning it - it's much like Vaseline in that respect, but it's not a problem and you don't need to use solvents. It's definitely food safe, o-ring safe, and, as I said above, a 4 oz tube is virtually a lifetime supply. And it is, indeed, the 'real stuff'.

(not sure how spending "only a few dollars more" to save a handful of 2 cent o-rings would make economic sense ;))

12. billandsuz

ah. petro gel is something other than petroleum jelly?
    i have assumed to much.

i agree that the economy of o-rings is not really an issue. until you don't have any replacements available. then of course the $0.02 o-ring is worth quite a bit more. so buy alot and replace often.
    Cheers Mike.