Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Keg pump replace Co2?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Jedipartsguy, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jedipartsguy

Jedipartsguy Aspirant (45) Oct 4, 2012

Im trying to keep it simple and cost effective. Is it possible to carbonate the brew in the keg with a manual pump instead of Co2?
  2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (460) New York Sep 1, 2004

if by manual pump you mean pumping a keg full of air, then the answer is very simple. no. and this is not really opinion but fact.

oxygen is the death of beer. brewers go to great lengths to reduce the amount of oxygen exposed to their beer. if you are fixing to drink all of your keg beer in a day, 24 hours, then a hand pump is cheap and effective.

if you want keg beer, you must use CO2. the good news is that carbonating homebrew or serving keg beer with CO2 is not all that difficult or expensive, and worth the small effort.
    IceAce likes this.
  3. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (570) California Jan 8, 2004

Bill, you know I love ya...but re-read this sentence to see why I'm smiling! (and technically it is true)

robinsmv likes this.
  4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (405) Missouri Jun 10, 2008 Verified

co2 is pretty damn cost effective. $20 or less for a few years worth of co2.
  5. A hand pump will not carbonate your beer. It's fine for serving, assuming you'll be finishing it in a day or two, but it won't carbonate anything.
  6. commis

commis Savant (340) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Not trying to be rude here man, but this question leads me to believe that you need to do quite a bit of research before jumping into kegging. Read a few articles, google some stuff, talk to your homebrew shop. Then come back when your beer is foamy and someone can tell you that your lines are too short and your fridge is too warm.
  7. Jedipartsguy

I do not disagree but you are simply restating the obvious, the question was asked becuase I am researching. What is this last part supposed to mean?
  8. cubbyswans

Because once you have figured the basics out, you will need to come back for more information regarding the details. Pouring draft beer is not rocket science, but it isn't as easy as just buying the stuff and pouring a beer. I think a lot of kegerators get sold on Craig's list because people think the thing is broken but the fact is they just never bothered to learn how to set it up properly. A little bit of knowledge on how to balance a system goes a long way. Do some checking on balancing a short draw draft system. There are quite a few variables that come into play to pour beer without headaches. Beer temperature, volumes of co2 (in a commercial keg), altitude above sea level, line length and internal diameter... If you get them nailed down prior to attempting to dispense, you are likely to have a pleasurable experience for years to come. If you ignore them, you are just likely to have a bad experience and end up selling your kegerator on Craig's List.
  9. Jedipartsguy

Sounds like bottling is the way to go.
  10. [​IMG]

You could try something like this for dispensing (the small cartridge will allow you to empty the keg but in my experience it will not be useful the next day). I have this for tailgating.

To carbonate I would get a regular tank and regulator. I know some homebrewers who carbonate in the keg with sugar.
  11. You'll rue the day you made that choice! If your passion and your budget points to kegging, then go for it. As has already been noted, it's not rocket science. Indeed, once you've gone through a few tapping/cleaning cycles, you'll wonder how anybody can not figure it out. When you've got it all hooked up and encounter your inevitable foaming issue, come here for advice. You'll get the compulsory smart-ass replies, but there will be enough useful information to make things right.
  12. cubbyswans

bottling is for the birds. I keg and wonder why the hell I ever bottled. Kegging your beer saves you so much time.
    GoldenChild likes this.
  13. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (460) New York Sep 1, 2004

the fact is that there is alot of misinformation about kegging and draft beer dispense.

i think our forum is one of the best places to get good advice and if people came here first, or at least early on, they could avoid mistakes and confusion.

if you want your draft system to be screwed up, just buy a kegerator from Best Buy or Home Depot. then ask them how to balance a system. happens all the time.

to the OP, ask as many questions as you like. getting your system to work is not a mystery. just ask.