1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kegerator build

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Superdad, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Superdad

Superdad Aficionado (105) Sep 1, 2012

Hi guys, Ive found the easiest and most effective kegerator build can be done with a full size top and bottom fridge / freezer. Not only does it give you room for multiple kegs , but it will get much colder than a standard kegerator. I also use the top freezer for hard liquor like Jager and Rum and ice. If you get to your local home supply store first thing in the A.M. you can get a great deal on a scratch n' dent , but you have to get there before the contractors. If anyone has any questions drop me a line!

2. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

My standard kegerator holds multiple kegs and gets cold enough to freeze a keg if I wanted it to. I'm not sure why anyone would want their kegerator colder than that. I tend to keep it around 38F, by choice, however.

However, yeah, a full size over/under fridge are generally pretty cheap to buy new or used and make for economical kegerator builds provided one has the space for one.

3. Superdad

My friends is located on his back deck and has trouble keeping temp in the summer which is why I went with the full size conversion. The compressor is generally larger and more durable and replacement parts are generally cheaper and easier to find.. Also you tend to get a better warranty from a large company like Whirlpool or GE. By multiple I guess you mean two ? Mine holds 6 ( I like to have a variety for poker night ).

4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

the big plus for a front door fridge is that it is alot easier getting a half barrel in the door than it is to dead lift 160 pounds over your waist and then gently settle it into the well of a keezer. if you want half barrels that is.
    as far as space, a keezer has more space and is more efficient, though the efficiency gain is not as great with a kegerator since you dont have to open the door of the fridge all that often.

a keezer will typically require some carpentry too. a front door frigde can be modified fairly easily if you run lines through the door.

not sure why being able to get "much colder" is a concern. if the compressor can't maintain sub 40 with ease, it is not going to work as a kegerator. if it can hold 10 degrees, that is not really important. i have a freezer for my bottles of Linie and Aalborg after all.
    welcome to the mostly unexplored corner of BA.
    Cheers.

5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I can fit 3 or 4 corneys in my standard kegerator. I don't know, I only have a 1 tap tower so I'm not concerned with that many, I know I can fit 3. 4 might be tight.

I don't keep appliances in my yard. If my neighbors did, I'd be looking to move.

I do keep my kegerator in my garage, which gets in the high 90's in the summer and I have no problem maintaining 38F beer temperature. My Danby came with a 1 yr in-home warranty manufacturers warranty which is pretty standard for any appliance. I just looked on Sear's web site and their Whirlpool refrigerators all come with a limited 1 yr warranty. Most retail stores will sell you an extended service plan on anything for additional money. Best Buy offered me one on my kegerator, but I declined. I have had it for 5 years, so I didn't need it. I really don't care about replacement parts on an appliance that's less than $500. A service call is going to run you more than the thing is worth if/when it does break down. I'd just buy a new one. If you can repair the thing yourself, then I could see this being a consideration.

6. billandsuz

as far as warranties, i know from experience that Frigidaire/Electrolux and other big appliance makers offer a coverage for the "sealed system," and coverage for everything else. my Frigidaire had a slow leak and needed to be recharged within 13 months of purchase. the tech said it certainly came from the factory with the leak. the warranty on the sealed system was 12 months. but 5 years if anything else should break!

what is a refrigerator other than a plastic box with a compressor? so my brand new Frigidaire was recharged every year and a half or so since fixing it was out of the question, and they wouldn't admoit they sold a damaged unit.

LG has a 7 yeasr warranty on eveything by the way. i dont miss the Frigidaire.

7. Superdad

For the record , I didnt say anything about appliances in the yard. His kegerator is on his deck as part of his outdoor kitchen . It was purchased all together as one unit. Maybe he got an inferior model or maybe it was just a lemon. Either way I was only trying to be helpful by relaying my experience to others on the matter. It was not my intention to ruffle any feathers by any means. If I did so inadvertently I apologize.

8. billandsuz

hell no. if you post something that is factually incorrect you'll get an elbow or two, depending. draft beer is physics and rules of thumb. sometimes people want to re-write physics. that is different than an opinion however.

let your opinions fly. it's just beer. that is just my opinion, too.
    Cheers.

9. Superdad

cheers my friend!

IceAce likes this.