1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kegerator freezing

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by sccala, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Hey all. I am having a problem with my kegerator freezing. I have an empty log in there now that has been kicked for at least a month now. I use the empty room in there to keep six packs and bombers. Lately though, I had one bomber explode from freezing, and every beer I crack open either turns to slush while I'm pouring it, or shortly after while it is sitting in the glass. It's not a new co2 tank...been in there for a while. I turned the temp dial a little each day while also keeping the door open about 20 minutes to let out any excess chill. The dial is now almost to "off" and I am still getting frozen beer. This is annoying to say the least as I am wasting beer. I have had the kegerator for almost 9 years and not a single problem till now. Plus, you'd think that a broken kegerator would NOT keep beer cold...not the opposite. As I am typing this I just realized and checked to confirm that the co2 has been on even though the barrel is empty. This probably shouldn't matter as long as there is no co2 leak. But as I've mentioned, it's not a new tank. I can understand having a leak in a new tank, but how could a tank spring a leak spontaneously without anything touching it??? Help please!

Steve
  2. The thermostat probably needs to be replaced. If you're handy, you can do it yourself. if you're lucky, it's a standard, off the shelf part - the same one found in maybe 80% of residential refrigerators. Get the part number from the thermostat and google it. This would be a simple repair for a pro, but the service charge may not be justified for a nine year old unit. You might just consider an external temperature controller like you would use to convert a freezer to a kegerator. Those can be found for around $50 or $60.

FYI, the CO2 tank is not related to your freezing beer issue. And a new tank must be certified before it's sold, so it's pretty much guaranteed not to leak. An old tank must be certified periodically. What makes you think it's leaking?
  3. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I would go with an external temperature controller. With your problem it's as simple as setting the temp on the controller and plugging it in. No wiring necessary.
    mikehartigan and IceAce like this.