1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kegerator Pressure - Micro VS Macro

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by osubeerkind, Sep 24, 2012.

?

BMC vs Micro (stouts, IPA) Regulators needed

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. Single Regulator with two air ports -Kegs get same air pressure

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Double Regulator - regulates different pressures to each keg

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. osubeerkind

osubeerkind Aficionado (100) Ohio Jan 12, 2009

Dual tap kegerator. One for micro beer (starting with a stout) and one for BMC. Should I be using a single regulator with two air release ports or use a double regular so I can regulate each individually? Not sure if my required air pressure will vary to much?
  2. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

IMHO you need the dual regulator. The pressure will really vary by style of beer. It doesn't have much to do with micro/macro.
  3. As with many such questions, it depends. Two regulators are certainly more flexible, but unless you plan to serve beer that is differently carbonated, it's overkill. 95% of American beers will happily survive at 12-ish psi. Unless you plan to serve the other 5% at the same time, a single regulator will do the job. On the other hand, $35-ish is not a helluva price to pay for 'just in case'. (FWIW, I have 4 faucets with 2 regulators)
    Kadonny likes this.
  4. For a comprehensive read on serving lines and pressure you can go to http://www.draughtquality.org. There's a PDF on that site that you can download called the Draught Beer Quality Manual. There's some math involved with regard to the diameter of your serving lines, length of lines and the height of the tap above the beer in the keg.

Basically you want to maintain the level of carbonation in the beer as you draw the beer out over time. Ideally a pint of beer is poured in 8 seconds. At least that's what I was told by a guy who owns a tap line cleaning service. So shoot for a pressure that gives you approximately that rate of flow. You could start at 10psi and work your way up if need be. Watch for bubbles forming in the line, you'll want to increase the psi by 1 and check for bubbles. And of course check for leaks...
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I'd vote for dual primaries, if you foresee a wide variety of beer styles. I have a dual primary, multiple distributor setup in my keezer, and sometimes wish I had a third primary regulator.
  6. seanoj

seanoj Aspirant (40) California Jun 16, 2010

You could go with a single with a T and add this later if you find that you are serving beers with wildly different serving pressures.

I have both (I do a triple cornelius in my kegerator). I usually have at least one beer that is different enough to justify it.
  7. Go with dual - gives you flexibility and for the minor price difference it just makes sense.