1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Kegging question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by jlordi12, Nov 24, 2012.

  1. When I take the gas off the gas in its not supposed to leak out right? Why might it be doing this violently?
  2. another question when I hook up the liquid line should there be beer (foam) leaking?
  3. billandsuz

    billandsuz Savant (450) New York Sep 1, 2004

    no. the gas should not leak.
  4. Thanks and what about when I hook up the liquid? Is some foaming normal ? a lot?
  5. billandsuz

    billandsuz Savant (450) New York Sep 1, 2004

    there should not be any leaks anywhere. the only place you should have liquid beer is at the end of the faucet when it is open. you might get a bit of beer when you tap the keg, but that is it.

    your system has a few problems. is this an old kegerator you were gifted or perhaps something you got from a hardware store?
    with specific information we can help out.
    also, this will be moved to the kegging forum.
  6. rmalinowski4

    rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

    For the first question, the poppet is most likely stuck. For the second question, no, it should not leak. Is this a new keg, or used? If used, I would buy new liquid and gas fittings.
  7. Used coca cola korny kegs. Two of them, both are foaming when I tap them. I force carbed them at 40 psi rolling on the ground. Is it too early to tap them immediately after applying all that carbonation. They are chilling now in the fridge at ~ 9 psi. I dont know what will happen when I try to hook up the liquid line in a few hours...
  8. When did you force carb them with 40 PSI? I've never done this method but I'm sure you need to wait a while before tapping them after that. Also when you put them in the fridge at 9 PSI did you bleed some CO2 off before you turned the gas down?
  9. I did it right before I tapped them. One keg wouldn't stop foaming at all I think my outlet is junk. The other was hooked up and running but pouring 90% foam after about 3 hours. Ill see where it is at this afternoon it may have been too agitated last night and yes I did bleed the headspace.

    Also , I bought a dual gauge regulator and one of the gauges will not go back to zero no matter how much I unscrew it and bleed the pressure from it. Could it be faulty or could I be missing something?