1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kentucky Dark Star

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bfg75, Jun 30, 2012.

1. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Pretty sure most folks here are aware but Fremont released their Kentucky Dark Star yesterday. $15 and max of 2 pp at the brewery. They will be distributing to the usual suspects around town but you can save $3-$5 getting it from the brewery directly.
  2. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Thanks for the info. Do you know what the bottle count is? Would be similar to BA Abominable?
  3. I am going to get as much as I ca when I get back!
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

From an FBC tweet yesterday: "150 cases. 80 in stores, 50 at FBC, 20 cellared."
    That's 1,800 bottles total. Who said Washington doesn't produce rare beers? ;)
    I was just there an hour ago, they've got a few cases stacked up by the register. 2 bottles per person. Was hoping to get a taste on tap too but it wasn't available.
  5. Damn! Out of town for a week. I hope there is some around next week.
  6. draheim

By the way, they did a super gnarly job with the waxing. Here's the photo I submitted to BA.

...want this yet? ;)

[​IMG]
  7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

looks like I know where I'm heading right now
    draheim likes this.
  8. bfg75

Based on how long the B-Bomb hung around at places like Whole Foods I don't think you'll have a problem finding some. Also, the stores/bottleshops probably won't get them in until next week anyway.
    HuskyinPDX likes this.
  9. draheim

Cracks me up. Other breweries might do a "KDS Day," sell tickets, hype the hell out of this beer in a ridiculous self-congratulatory wank-fest. FBC just quietly starts selling the bottles on Friday morning like it ain't no thang.

Keep doin whatcha doin Fremont.
  10. bifrost17

So this is going to be an annual thing now right?
  11. draheim

Classic BA response.
    "This came out yesterday."
    "Yeah but what about next year?"
    ;)
    beertunes likes this.
  12. Has anybody opened one yet?
  13. draheim

Two bottle reviews so far.
    libbey likes this.
  14. bifrost17

Haha well I'm just hoping that it's annual from now on cause if it is this will be the first beer that I'll be able to start an awesome vert with from year one!
    beertunes likes this.
  15. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

So it doesn't taste rare and exclusive? Why bother with it then?

*Makes room in cellar*
    beertunes likes this.
  16. I'm stuck in Omaha, Nebraska until Wednesday. Sure hope the brewery has some bottles left on Thursday...
  17. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Looking for some of this. If anyone that is going can help me out, please shoot me a BM.
  18. Thanks for recognizing the Fremont style of beer release. Quality beer first, customer experience next...we don't like the idea of our customers waiting in line, fighting for bottles, and the "wank fest" vibe. Because Beer Matters!
  19. draheim

BBomb and Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop have been two of my unqualified favorite beers of the past 12 months, and I'm sure KDS won't disappoint—not to mention the regular rock-solid lineup. Just keep pretending you have absolutely no idea how awesome your beer is and we'll all stay happy. Cheers!
    hopburster likes this.
  20. I haven't opened either of the two bottles that I got last week. However, I did have KDS at Back in Black and it was the best of the many stouts/impy stouts that I tried.
  21. sukwonee

Has anyone seen this at the stores yet? I want need some :)
  22. Smurf2055

I think they said they are giving their allotment to Odem either today or tomorrow, and expect it to hit shelves around Friday.
    sukwonee likes this.
  23. Still stuck in Nebraska until late late tonight. Heading to the brewery early Thursday afternoon. [fingers crossed]
  24. Smurf2055

They've gone through a lot, but they still had about half a pallet when I was there yesterday, I think you should be good.
  25. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I and my wife each picked up some last week, and we split a bottle on Sunday. I thought it was really good. Maybe a little thinner than I anticipated. Really pleasant and drinkable, start to finish. I need to sit down with it again, for sure. (We'd just had a bottle of Parabola a week or two prior, so I think my wife was disappointed it wasn't that, since the pricepoint was the same—and she knew it, since she bought some of it!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    beerscenes.tumblr.com
  26. bfg75

Especially considering the holiday tomorrow and that the UBG wasn't open today.
  27. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Sweet pictures, man.

I saw the Fremont tweet from the ferry terminal on Friday as I prepared to head into the Olympic NP woods for 5 days - I felt betrayed by the Brewery's rude decision to release this on such an inconvenient day for me.

Needless to say, without a shower since Friday and physically exhausted, Fremont Brewing was my first stop upon arrival back in Seattle this morning!

jpbebeau and libbey like this.
  28. I picked up my two bokkles this morning as well. Curious to see how patient I am cellaring these two. At least one might not last long at all.
  29. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Yes, yes I do. Anybody able to grab a couple and I'll repay and throw in a couple of beers? BTW, a few bottles of B-Bomb still in small store here in the 'Ham.
  30. [​IMG]
    Went on a walk with my daughter today and snagged a bottle. They had five or six left in the taproom.
  31. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

On my short list to taste at the SIB tomorrow. Will pick up one or two when they become available locally. A buck or two more but not convenient to pick it up at the source.
  32. sukwonee

It didn't hit Bellevue spots yet. Hopefully next week.
  33. Stopped by the brewery on Friday, 7/6 to pick up some growlers for a BBQ. They had plenty of KDS bottles for sale and the dude said they had plenty more --- not to fear. They also had KDS on tap.
  34. This beer is probably going to fly straight to the top of the Top new beers list. Just saying...I cant wait to pop my bottle that is sapposed to show up on tuesday! :) Damn!
  35. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I just got home from Fremont and as of 1:00 this afternoon (7/10), they still had a few bottles left - about half a case - I didn't ask him if that was all there was.
    jpbebeau likes this.
  36. bfg75

Hmmm.....
  37. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

No chance that one of you guys could hook up a PDX brother?
  38. bfg75

I'm heading to Portland this weekend...I could probably bring a bottle for trade or whatever.
    libbey likes this.
  39. sukwonee

I picked up a few bottles at Whole Foods Westlake. Still had 2 cases left. $17.99 a bottle though.
  40. sukwonee

Maybe I expected too much (my expectation for this beer must have skyrocketted as a follow-up to BA Abominable). It didn't taste like a top 100 beer to me (a bit too boozy and thin mouthfeel). Still great and worth trying it, but not top 100. If you guys had Central Waters BB Stout before, this beer reminded me a little bit of that (with more roasty-ness and alcohol heat and slightly thicker body - yes CW BB Stout is hella thin).
    distantmantra likes this.