1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kentucky Dark Star

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bfg75, Jun 30, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Ouch. When I see a beer compared to CW BB stout my view grows dim. That was one disappointingly thin, almost watery stout. I'll have to crack one of these soon. Maybe somewhere between my hopes/expectations and what you just posted, I'll find a happy medium.
  2. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Fortunately, KDS is thicker than CW BB Stout ;) I actually really liked how CW BB Stout tasted, but mouthfeel really ruined the whole experience. KDS was awesome, except for the mouthfeel as well. Give it a try and let me know your thoughts.
  3. TheEarl

TheEarl Aficionado (165) Washington Apr 10, 2012

I grabbed another bottle at the Westlake Whole Foods last night around 8:30 and there was only one bottle left on the shelf.

Perhaps they have reserve stock in the back...

They did seem to be flush with Pliny.
  4. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Forgive this pour soul for having a very difficult time following this conversation. First, I see a dichotomy between the description here on BA (American Double / Imperial Stout) and the description by Fremont (Bourbon Barrel Aged Oatmeal Stout http://www.fremontbrewing.com/ )
    So, is it possible that "thinness" is confused for "smoothness" that I associate with Oatmeal Stouts? Then, sukwonee's comments come across as very critical when you gave it a 4.3 in your review.
    To me, a 4.3 is very favorable.
    What's with this comparing this to CW BB Stout - something I've never heard of - I know - my problem not yours, but how many people have?
    I'm not being critical, just trying to understand what the F is going on about a local beer that's getting a lot of attention.
  5. draheim

So your trade fell through? ;)
  6. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

No Mas! Maybe after another couple of beers I can understand what the fuck you guys are talking about! :confused:
    Happily, my trade is on
  7. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I find it amusing that there were no ISO threads for this...and now there have been 3 or 4 in the last few hours. Must resist temptation to go buy more KDS...
  8. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yeah, I recently rec'd a BA Abominable & the IPA in a trade & was jazzed to try KDS (yippee, a new acronym!)...but I dawdled, & seeing the crazy offers out there now, man! What triggered all the offers, anybody want to venture a guess? The relationship with Abominable?
  9. Definitely. It's the second waxed cap Fremont release, so its sure to draw comparisons.
  10. draheim

People are probably catching on to the fact that Fremont can do no wrong.
  11. maximum12

Yeah, the IPA caught my attention all the way across the country.
  12. draheim

Which one was it?
  13. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I'd guess Interurban? Fremont is one of the few breweries that makes no bad beers and continually surprises me. Love them! I am sending my last three bottles to great traders who deserve to try it.
  14. Old Snugglebunny is pretty bad. Hopefully they continue working to improve it.
  15. draheim

Coulda been Hop Lab #1 or Homefront too, both came out pretty recently. Can't wait til Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop comes out again, but I'm almost afraid it can't possibly live up to my memory of it. (And they'd better be planning to brew it this fall. You hear me Fremont? In cans too.)

It probably wasn't really even that great, it's just that I had basically zero expectations and then it really surprised me.
  16. maximum12

Yup, it was Interurban. One of the cleanest-drinking beers I've had in quite a while.
  17. Oh no. Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop WAS that great. Both on tap and in bottle.

OH MAN. SO GOOD.
  18. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Anyone know if the brewery still has any more bottles? They're starting to show up in stores in the area, but I'd rather buy straight from the source if possible.
  19. bfg75

They had a bunch yesterday.
  20. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Thanks, man. Still 2 bottle/person limit?
  21. bfg75

Yeah.
  22. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Isn't Cowiche Canyon out right now? I've seen it around town everywhere, I even sent a bottle to Chicago in a recent trade.
  23. draheim

Cowiche Canyon Hob Lab #1 is out now. It's good, but pales in comparison (IMHO anyway) to Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop. "120 pounds of fresh organic Citra & Simcoe hops per batch, 24 hours from harvest to kettle." That one comes out only in the fall. I think last year was the first & only year so far, so I'm just hoping they make it again.
  24. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Ahhhh okay I see. Good to know....now you've got me dreaming about this beer, sounds awesome.
  25. bfg75

Yeah the Fresh Hop Cowiche was mind blowing...
  26. The Hop Lab IPA is good, but it's really thin and light compared to the Fresh Hop Pale Ale (brewery calls it a Pale, not an IPA like the BA listing says). It will be back this Fall, I asked a couple months ago.

Fremont hype is slowwwwly starting. 12 wants for the Cowiche Fresh Hop right now based on 9 reviews. I feel special to be only one who reviewed it on tap at the brewery. :cool:

It's also funny that there are 7 reviews for Kentucky Dark Star, but only 3 for regular old Dark Star.
  27. bfg75

Soon we'll get to line up at 8am for the bottle releases, can't wait :p

I hope they don't become one of those super-hyped breweries, even if the increasing hype makes it easier to land some nice bottles in return for their limited releases :)
  28. I doubt it. I can't think of a single WA brewery that sees people line up overnight or totally freak out for their beers, no matter how awesome they are. The brewery's laid-back attitude and complete lack of interest in generating stupid crazy hype also helps.
  29. bfg75

Well, it happens at HotD...but they do seem to be the only place so far...though Cascade is getting there.

You're probably right about the laid-back attitude making it unlikely though...I didn't even know KDS had been released until a friend who was there drinking texted me.

It's nice they're not trying to build a hype train behind their stuff...
  30. Fremont is ~3 miles from my house, so I'm there pretty regularly. I also follow them on Facebook and Twitter, so that's how I hear about their "big" releases. They never make a big deal about them and very few people ever comment on it. Their FB post about KDS was very ho-hum.

That's it. No big fanfare or lead up.
  31. bfg75

Yeah, I live pretty close too (across the street from Uber basically)...I follow them but missed the FB update that day.
  32. Stoked to see the Fremont love rising.

I have yet to try their IPAs, but I split a bomber of their summer ale that I picked up when I got my 2 KDS. Wow. Certainly one of the better summer ales's I've enjoyed.

(Random aside on IPAs I had not yet tried: First can of Hop Ottin' IPA tonight. Excellent. Not my last can of this.)
  33. Ah, you're over on the other side of Greenlake. I'm near the bomb shelter under I-5 and the old John Marshall High School building.
  34. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Nah, I liked KDS. I just thought it was a bit thin for my taste. I also really liked CW BB Stout too regardless of its thinness (see my review on that as well).

I was just commenting that KDS is not BA Abominable-level-good (and also not top 100 good). I didn't know KDS was oatmeal stout aged in bourbon barrel though. Still, it was still quite boozy and thin. and yes 4.3 means I liked the beer regardless of these characteristics.
    NWer likes this.
  35. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

I cant wait to try KDS for I recently had BA Abominable, and it is one of the best beers I have ever had!

ISO: KDS!
    brooklynbrews likes this.
  36. Me too man, me too. Also ISO: any bottled Fremont offerings!
  37. bfg75

There should be enough for everyone :) Hopefully you find someone who can get you a bottle...I'll also be starting a LIF on Monday for a bunch of Fremont stuff, with KDS included, so there will be a chance to "win" one as well :)
    libbey likes this.
  38. draheim

Maybe you missed this post from Texwild, who presumably works @ FBC. At least according to this one statement, Fremont takes a dim view of some of the hype train antics other breweries engage in... I sure hope they keep it that way.

(EDIT: Nope, you didn't miss it, cuz you clicked Like...)
  39. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Texwild is the owner i think, fyi
  40. draheim

Even better. :)