1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Kentucky Dark Star

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bfg75, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Picked up some bottles around 1130 today FWIW

2. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (410) Washington Oct 17, 2010

Grabbed some today, so they still have it...the Cowiche Canyon Organic IPA is solid too!

3. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

When I was there I asked how many cases were left and they said about six.

4. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I was there around 7:30, same answer. The guy also said they only had ~60 cases total.

5. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Looks like most of the shops around me (Eastside) are doing 1 bottle limit on this. I didn't see any at Whole Foods Bellevue (btw they got 120 Minute still in stock for 9.99 as of yesterday) or Total Wine yet.

6. Roosevelt Square Wholf Foods had KDS this morning for $17.99. Seems silly when I can just walk to the brewrery and get them for $15 flat.

7. Speaking of Whole Foods, they also got TONS of Brux in today. Picked up two bottles at $15 each.

8. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Good news. One I've been looking forward to. Should be pervasive - for a while.

9. Just like Collage, there are numerous cases around the store.

10. Just got back from the brewery where I picked up a couple.
    They said they were down to their last 2 cases.

11. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

This thread has produced some pretty good intel. FBC released 50 cases of KDS @ the brewery on Friday June 29. With 2 cases left as of this evening, it has sold at a rate of 3.2 cases (or 38.4 bottles) per day.

12. NWer

Don't mention Collage :) I drug my wife & friend to Deschutes brewery for the release, made them stand in line so they could get their three bottles each. When we go into a store and see the display of Collage she says "I really hate that beer". (We were in PDX for more than Collage) - the upside is I paid $11 each no sales tax compared to up to $13 + tax here so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

13. draheim

And yet you could still go to Whole Foods Westlake today and pick up four or five cases. And if you'd gone for their 20% off sale you'd have paid less than $10/bottle after tax.

P.S. shame on you for drugging your wife & friend.

beertunes and Smurf2055 like this.
  14. NWer

dragged?

beertunes likes this.
  15. draheim

ding ding ding!!! You win a beer (provided there's one in the fridge). Cheers!

16. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Super deli mart has it for $19.99 prices are a bit crazy

17. draheim

Especially considering the price @ the brewery is a flat $15 (either no sales tax or sales tax already included, not sure which). After tax that $19.99 looks more like $22/bottle. Glad I was able to get some @ the source.

18. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I have a love/hate relationship with SDM because of their prices. Did you see how the bottles of KDS were sitting next to dusty bottles of B-Bomb?

It's $15 w/tax included.

19. youradhere

youradhere Savant (485) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Hype hype hype!

Let's see Freemont put out a RIS that meets my standards that doesn't have it's flavors masked and obfuscated by bourbon and oak, that is a tell of true skill to me. (I know KDS is not a RIS, but that is how I judge greatness).

--not dry
    --not over carbonated
    --full and thick body
    --roast, chocolate, and residual sweetness that work together and not in opposing ways!

20. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

And B-bomb
    and BBQ
    and BB23

It's the place to B!

21. NWer

They don't hype. Have you had the Dark Star?

22. They don't make an RIS to my knowledge, and outside of this thread on this board, I fail to see how how Fremont is ever guilty of hyping their beers. If you don't care for BA beers and feel that it masks qualities you look for, good enough. For people who do enjoy BA beers, these are terrific examples that those of us in Seattle don't feel we need to give up the world to get.

Hype would be bottling these, advertising that the only way to get them is to come to a brewery event, buy expensive tickets to get into a lottery for the right to buy one bottle which jumped in price by $5 every year etc.

Super Deli Mart is another conversation. I can walk there from my house, but listening to that guy abuse his staff verbally has put me off forever, and I would imagine why so many expensive beers sit around that shop. His regulars are getting growlers or having a quick pint- generally not buying $20 bombers.

66jzmstr and distantmantra like this.
  23. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Hosted a small tasting with some Portland BAs Friday night in for the Seattle/Portland Bike marathon. Had Bottleworks 7, KDS, Bruery Smoking Wood, and Jackie O's Hocking Triple. KDS was the stand out (but Smoking Wood was pretty darned tasty for a smoked beer)

24. NWer

It's official. KDS has left the building. I'm there now.

25. All sold out at the brewery?

Whole Foods RSQ is also sold out.

26. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

:( A buddy who works for the local distributor for Fremont was trying to get a couple cases up here to the boonies :(.

27. NWer

I taste the "rare" already. Fortunately, I have mine. I just would have picked one up for trade bait if available.

28. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Beer junction has it. $17.99

29. North Marysville Albertsons 16.99 upon request only. Chooo Chooo!

30. I'm truly confused by this post. Is it your contention that no brewery can be great unless they make a RIS that meets your specific standards; or, are you criticizing Fremont for making a BA oatmeal stout that you've set up as a RIS straw man in order to take pot shots at them?

In case you are unaware, Dark Star is their standard oatmeal stout and a damn good one IMHO. KDS is a BA version of this oatmeal stout.

NWer likes this.
  31. I'm with you on this, my friend. Given that it's in West Seattle and I live in North Seattle, I have zero interest in driving over there to listen to him openly berate his employees. I know for a fact he's gotten feedback about this but hasn't stopped --- therefore, I've concluded he's a total douche and he can keep his $10 growlers.

66jzmstr and distantmantra like this.
  32. I've got a friend who lives off Delridge, so we often go over to Super Deli to hang out, but otherwise I don't have a desire to drive there from Greenlake.

33. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (410) Washington Oct 17, 2010

If you stood there and listened to him berate his employees without saying something? Hmmm....anyways!

Must say this - never seen him treat people badly while there and I have been in there 30 times +. All my trips in this store have been good.

jpbebeau likes this.
  34. When I said I know for a fact that he's been given feedback about this, I was inferring that I said something to him. Thought this was obvious.

35. I don't want to thread drift this away from the KDS, so my last comment. The guy doesn't care if you see him doing it, or try to say something. When he gets laughs from the cops and others who hang out in there because he's yelling at some poor kid, I'm sure like most bullies, he feels pretty validated doing so.

36. Just a heads-up: As of 3pm today, Whole Paycheck in Redmond had two bokkles of KDS left on the shelf.

37. 99 Bottles has about 5+ cases. No btl limit.

38. BCross

BCross Savant (285) Washington Nov 20, 2011

Rumor has they are out.

39. I will be heading up to Seattle in a few weeks, and I was curious if I could still find some Kentucky Dark Star still? If anyone can give me a heads up on where some might be please BM me. :D

40. Last I saw it was at super deli mart for $20!

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.