1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kentucky Dark Star

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bfg75, Jun 30, 2012.

1. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I don't think we got any in Spokane. :(

Seattle/Fremont, what about your redneck brethren?!?!!?

2. BCross

BCross Savant (285) Washington Nov 20, 2011

Anyone know who might have some bottles left in the Seattle area please BM me. Trying to land a few for a freinds birthday.

3. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

We didn't even get any up here in Bellingham, I doubt Spoklahoma will see any. I did a trade with a Seattle area BA to get a couple bottles, that's probably your only option at this point.

4. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Crazy as there are still cases of the BA Abominable up here...

5. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Shhh!

66jzmstr and Kopfschuss like this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

That is crazy. Finally opened a KDS the other night, and while I thought it was great I think B-Bomb is definitely a better beer.

bgramer and csano like this.
  7. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

From what I am hearing, that seems to be the general consensus. I am excited to try bbomb again in a year and again at two years.
    I am not upset I missed out on KDS. On the other hand, I do look forward to the other BA releases from Fremont.

8. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I thought KDS is better. I found it much more balanced, the bourbon more complimentary. With B-bomb, I didn't get enough of the base beer, the bourbon was overpowering.

9. I was a fool for not buying a bottle of this at PCC, even at 17 bucks a bottle :(

10. draheim

Funny. I thought both beers used the bourbon element really well, and better than many bourbon barrel beers I've had—not at all overpowering, more as an accent, an added layer of flavor. Where B-Bomb excelled for me though was the overall depth and complexity. KDS just didn't have that depth in the same way that a beer like Parabola does. I'd put B-Bomb on the same level as something like Parabola, though of course they're different styles and very different beers. Perhaps better stated, to me B-Bomb is the Parabola of American strong ales.

Maybe another part of it was, I wasn't really expecting much from Bourbon Abominable and was blown away. That probably set me up to expect even more of KDS, and then I was inevitably a little bit let down.

Either way, both great beers from a great local brewery.

sukwonee likes this.
  11. I haven't opened either bottle of KDS that I picked up at the brewery. However, I did have a couple of glasses at Back in Black and it was one of my favorites, if not my favorite of the afternoon. I remember it being rich and creamy with a nice vanilla and chocolate flavor and just the touch of bourbon. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm a big fan of Dark Star.

Also, I was able to grab several bottles of B-bomb across a short period of time. I must say that I enjoyed the last bottle that I opened after holding on to it a few if not several months. The bourbon was definitely overpowering compared to my memory of early bottles that I've opened. I wonder if the other ingredients in B-bomb break down, allowing the bourbon to take over. Regardless of the science, I know I didn't really enjoy my last bottle of B-bomb.

12. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

Visiting Seattle...any chance there's any left?

13. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'm headed to Seattle from Spokizee in a few days. If you know of a place that still has any of these and you're feeling really generous, BM me with the details. Just want 2 bottles, not out to get crazy and hoard anything.
    I know it's unlikely, but I figured I'd try.

14. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

I picked up 3 bottles of Dark Star and 4 of BA Abominable last weekend at Super Deli Mart in West Seattle. If there's any left in town I think that's your best bet.

15. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Beership.com just listed KDS as a pre-order.

whiskey likes this.
  16. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Super Deli Mart is out of both...

17. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Also could someone educate me on the following....

1) Bottle counts from last year on B-Bomb and if its still in Seattle or anywhere in WA

2) Release info on 2012 B-Bomb

18. I heard that more KDS is going to be released. Anyone know if this is true?

19. draheim

I just heard that same rumor on BA.
    Oh, wait. That was you.

20. Haha

21. draheim

Sorry, needed a brief respite from this mind-numbing report I'm reading

22. Lordkrystic

Last I looked at Brouwers bottle list, BBomb was on it.

23. Whatcha readin?
    I am reading about pathways of agricultural intensification and environmental consequences of certain farming systems.

24. draheim

Hydrologic and hydraulic modeling of various area NPDES CSO basins

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  25. killer!

26. draheim

Need... beer... soon

27. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

The thread that will never die.... And I just contributed to that.

barleywinefiend and draheim like this.
  28. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I wish Fremont would have bottled their "Center of the Universe" BA English Barleywine from Hard Liver this year. That stuff was killer.

dirtylou likes this.

29. I hope it was better than the other bwine they released. Snuggle Bunny was not.

30. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

How in the hell did the "barleywine fiend" not get to try that one?!? It was incredible. "Won" the festival for me.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  31. I was out of town or something. I can't recall in my old age.

32. They had Old Snugglebunny on tap during Seattle Beer Week. It was absolutely horrible.

33. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Tasted like windex if I recall correctly.

34. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

How often do you drink Windex? What's the buzz like? o_O

sliverX and Lordkrystic like this.
  35. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

36. I wasnt able to head into Seattle last month and I know I asked this last month, but I will be there for sure this weekend. I know it's dumb, but is there any KDS located anywhere in Seattle, Lynnwood, or Woodenville areas? I know its doubtful, but if anyone has seen it lately please BM me! Thanks again! :) And is there any possibility of the Lamb as well?

37. Lordkrystic

I'm pretty sure the answer is negative on both of those fronts.

38. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Negative on the KDS. It was a pretty limited release. Beer Junction in West Seattle had a few bottles of The Lamb in the new releases section when I was there today (they got an extra case this week).

Lordkrystic and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  39. Whole Foods Roosevelt still has The Lamb.

Lordkrystic and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  40. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Man this thread just won't die.

barleywinefiend and beertunes like this.