Kern Citra Did I miss out???

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by mhksuccess, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Maven (1,472) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Trader

I am usually on Kern like a pitbull so was wondering if I missed out on a Citra release.
    There is no mention on the facebook and do not see it on tap. I was going to make a trip up this weekend but have so much beer right now and still have some Kern Just outstanding from earlier this month.
    SO what is the deal ? was there a clandestine release??

2. mhksuccess

Trader

I guess I missed out because bottle will be gone by this weekend.
    Darn I remember years ago going into a whole foods and buying bottles of citra
    miss those days

grze likes this.
  3. grze

grze Maven (1,460) Apr 17, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Haha, yeah...and then the trade value right now is insane. It's quite high during normal release, but this time it's just crazy. I just hope I'll get a pint on tap this weekend. If not, I'll be happy with Shuttle Bunny and Gravity Check :slight_smile:

4. mhksuccess

Trader

I have a few Just outstanding left that were bottle on 8/8
    they are getting old
    will have to crush them before weekend is over

Trading Citra is just not wise you will always be disappointed as don't get as good a stuff
    If I ever part it is to a friend or just share bottles with people to let them know how good it is

5. grze

Trader

But nothing beats enjoying a fresh pint of Citra in Kernville, at KRBC patio at 11am watching the mountains everywhere around....</dreaming> Can't wait for the next lottery and proper release!

dcgunman likes this.
  6. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

So true. Everyone tries to low ball you like crazy.

Then again, I love this line

Oh Kyle, you're so great.

7. grze

Trader

I'm always saying the same. There are really so many many great IPAs that I don't even "chase" Pliny anymore...I only drink it once I stumble upon it on draft...but Citra? It's still a little different for me, which may be just the personal preference, but to me it's just the smoothest, tastiest double IPA ever made and I don't feel like missing a single batch.

8. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

My head just exploded

9. Earlycsquid

That's why I don't sweat the non-lotto releases. That's easy enough to put your name in and if you win, cool. if you don't, oh well. There is plenty of great stuff to drink.

I will say, that the drive to Kern and hanging out there, even for just a day trip, is something that I just need to do every few months to feel fresh again. That setting is just so relaxing and beautiful. So having Citra right there to enjoy (or JO, Class X) is just icing on the cake of that day trip

grze likes this.
  10. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

20 days = old. Does not compute.

11. Earlycsquid

Unless your drinking it straight out of the tank, you may as well dump it. Duh!

12. ChazMania

ChazMania Savant (1,004) Jun 13, 2006 California

I recall 2010-2011 being able to walk in to a number of places in/around Pasadena, and get fresh JO, often Citra when it was released. I don't think Ive seen either of those in the Oceanside area since we moved here Oct 2012.

13. KnowYourCraft

KnowYourCraft Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 California

Was at the pub earlier and they said the only reason why they made some was for some beer event in Colorado and they made a little extra for a small release.

14. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Zealot (603) Jun 30, 2009 California

"Some beer event", otherwise known as the Great American Beer Festival.

j47paco likes this.
  15. KnowYourCraft

Sure, didn't know that was already coming up.

16. tommykimchi

tommykimchi Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 California

Are there any bottles left at the brewery or local distribution locations? Was thinking about heading down on Friday since thats the only day I have off. Just unsure if the supply will last till then.

17. Earlycsquid

At the very worst, you'll get a very chill drive through a beautiful area and a pint or two of it on draft.

So worth it.

grze likes this.
  18. aquazr1

aquazr1 Maven (1,325) Jul 27, 2013 California

If there are any bottles left it would be at the brewery or at stores in the Kernville/Lake Isabella area. I'm heading up on Friday also, but just to have some on draft and hang out. Was up there last weekend also. As someone else said, having a pint and enjoying the view on the patio is always worth the trip. I'm just luck it's 'only' an 85 mile round trip for me.

19. KnowYourCraft

I highly doubt there are any bottles at local stores right now. Last I checked they were all out in Kernville/Lake Isabella. But they seem to have plenty at the brewery and I would suggest taking the trip anyway cause it is an amazing place. If the brewery still has a ton of bottles they may do slight distribution again so I'd still check the stores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.