1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kern River Citra Double IPA

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 29, 2013.

1. On my way back from Russian River, I figured that I would stop in Bakersfield to purchase some freshly brewed Citra DIPA. But I have just learned that it is only available at the brewery. Frustrating to say the least.

I suppose my question is: Has anyone had it? And if so, would it be worth it to drive from Orange County to Kern River to try it out sometime? Rare beers are great, but they are also a pain in the ass at the same time.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Try it via trading....not going.
  3. IMO it is the best DIPA on the west coast. But I hear the place is a cluster fuck on release day.
  4. It's just hard to imagine having to trade for a beer that is brewed 4 hours away. Ai wey!
  5. Just go. I'm from O.C. too. I wouldn't miss it.
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  6. Now that that's on the mind; recommend anything else in the area or from Kern? Thanks.
  7. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

It is a world class IPA. You should definitely make the effort, via driving or trade, to get it.
  8. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Oh my God, such first world problems! I wish I were in your shoes! Im in KY so driving there is not a logical option. I would love the chance to obtain a SINGLE bottle of this. Just one! Go damn you! GO!
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  9. Not to mention if you buy extras you'll be able to trade for pretty much any beer on the east coast that isn't super rare
  10. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Best IIPA I have tried, and I've tried a couple. Raul is sure to love it. Raul should definitely get some if Raul is a lover of hops.
  11. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I actually went there recently on a road trip from NC to WA. We detoured a good amount just to try their stuff. Citra was not on tap unfortunately, but their 5th Anniversary/Winter Ale was fan-freaking-tastic. Easily beats PtE. Their Class V Stout was also really, really good. Just Outstanding and Class X were both good, as were their imperial red and rye ale. Their regular red and blonde were pretty forgettable, but not bad.
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  12. Raul is. Oh yes, Raul is.
    tectactoe likes this.
  13. It's really good. It's also an excuse to pick up a sizable amount of Just Outstanding. Probably the best IIPA you can try.
  14. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

ISO. I will probably never drink this stuff and it pissed me off knowing that.
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  15. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

The logical option could be to trade for it, no?
  16. You've heard wrong then. Aside from alesmith releases, it's one of the most organized releases. Stand in line, get a ticket, go inside the pub (which is smaller than the average house), sit down, hand over your ticket, and get your alottment. There's a shut ton of people yes, but the crew at KRBC bust their asses to ensure everything goes smooth.
    Rau71 and DSlim71 like this.
  17. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

I have Citra as the best beer I have ever had, over Heady, over Pliny of Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. It is fantastic. The release is an easy system, like glitchedmind said, and the drive is pretty scenic but pretty deadly too coming from Bakersfield. I can't wait for Friday!
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  18. I remember the good ol' days when it was distributed..
    teamizm, Xul, jamex and 2 others like this.
  19. Citra all day Saturday and then a bottle share and bbq at our room down the street Saturday night. It's going to be a great weekend.
    dcgunman likes this.
  20. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Been to the last 4 Citra releases at KRBC. And planning on going again this time around. 4 hour drive and all, it is worth it. IMO. Kyle, Eric and Rebecca knows how to put on a great release party. Well organized. The whole crew for the three day weekend release is on top of everything. Not only Citra, but other great beers are on tap. Usually Class X will be on tap as well. I remember when Citra was distributed to SoCal and other areas. It was gone in 60 seconds when it hit the shelves. Actually I'm glad it's only available at the brewery these days. Makes for a good, but long road trip to the southern Sierra's. Nothing wrong with driving to get a great beer. IMO. It's better than driving around the SoCal freeway traffic to go from one store to the next seeking out Citra or other goodies. Been there and done that. Plus you got too many stores holding bottles in the back cooler for their friends & family. I refuse to drive around wasting time and gas for a bottle here and there. And unlike 4-5 years ago you have more and more peeps into the craft beer scene these days. Yeah I might be a little crazy for driving 4 hours for 6, 12 or more bottles but that's okay. Because I am. Crazy! I found my go to must get beers (KRBC & ABC). So I will take the time and drive to the source for some world class beers. Next week I'll be flying to Santa Rosa for Younger & Elder. But Citra is a must before Younger.

For those who have not tried Citra yet. Your not missing anything. Until you've tried it. Then you can make judgement.
  21. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Russian river is a much further drive from Oc. I would do it for all the goodies. Good luck.
    RaulMondesi likes this.
  22. It's not worth it just for the beer.
    If you can make a camping, fishing, biking, etc weekend out of it, it's worth the trip regardless of whether or not Citra is being released.
  23. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

I agree. It's a beautiful drive (when the weather is nice). And the town is a great little get-away. The fresh air alone is almost reason enough to go. Citra is a nice bonus though...
  24. Lake Isabella's pretty nice. Whitewater rafting's cool too, but might be too cold for that..
  25. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

There are a lot of Citra boners on this thread.

[​IMG]
    blguillen likes this.
  26. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

looking forward to lining up for it.
  27. It's a great beer, but I personally wouldn't go wait in line for it now that I have tried it.
    jtmartino likes this.
  28. When it is released, how long is it around for? I can't make it this weekend, while next weekend I'll be in Santa Rosa. So, will it still be around the weekend of the 15th or beyond? Thanks.
  29. I recall seeing just outstanding at a liquor store a while back. God, I wish I knew what it was back then.
  30. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

Sorry pal, those days are long gone. It will probably be gone by the end of the weekend.
    dcgunman likes this.
  31. F--- me four ways sideways.
  32. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

I probably won't make the trip, but definitely WILL keep my ears peeled for it to hit the SoCal bars. Had it in SD last release, and it's amazing. #3 on my personal "list." (Behind Ruin10 and Bad Boy, if you're curious. With Nelson at 4 and EnjoyBy 5.)
  33. No, no, Kernville is not exactly Disneyworld, although I hear they have a clothing-optional hot springs deal going on a few miles down the road, which I'm sure Uncle Walt would not approve of.

I spend my weekend nights at the brewery during releases. They usually have some shit-kicking band of good 'ol locals and taps of Citra flowing all night long. You can, however, OD on the cross-cut fries pretty quickly because, although tasty, the Kern River boys serve them with everything.

Now, if you're interested in watching the local flora and fauna...I was chatting up this grocery checker at the market across from KRBC <she's like, mid-fifties, white hair piled up in a tall bun, in fighting trim, and looks like she could snap gum all day long> just before closing and I asked what she'd be up to on that fine Friday night. She replies, basically the same thing as she does every Friday and Saturday - get dressed up to get messed up and pound drinks at the local saloon in downtown Kernville.

We stuck with the Citra. It's worth it for the beer.
  34. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

is it really not getting distributed at all?
  35. I think the only time it got any real distribution was the release directly after winning at GABF. And that was really limited. Most places got a case and it was only certain accounts in L.A/O.C. Don't think it even made it down to S.D.

but it seems every release since has had it brewery only.
  36. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Last time I was in Kernville (2007) a buddy and I spent our last night in town at the Saloon. We were buying drinks for everyone in the bar and every single person there was shit-faced by the end of the night, including the bartender and bouncer. Last call wasn't until 3:30ish because everyone was so drunk.

My hangover was so bad the next day that I puked a few times out the car window heading back towards Bakersfield. And I was driving. We stopped at a gas station to hose off my car and then limped back down to San Diego.

Needless to say, some fun can be had in Kernville.
    Earlycsquid likes this.
  37. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

This wont be at any place but at the brewery on that weekend only. I remember it showing up at Beachwood BBQ a few years back. When it showed up on the hop cam I went down to enjoy a few glasses of it. It blew that night. No bottles or keg distro. It will show up for the SF Beer Week. Maybe at the Bistro Double IPA event. Good luck.
  38. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Really!
  39. Seriously? A little bird told me some are making it to east San Diego. I'll be sure to check with my source on that.
  40. mgbhoo

mgbhoo Zealot (85) Virginia Dec 8, 2011

I live in DC but am doing a West Coast road trip with my wife and baby boy from Feb 2 - 17.

We're starting at Russian River for Pliny The Younger before heading to San Francisco, Big Sur, Firestone Walker/San Luis Obispo and finishing up in San Diego. I'd absolutely love to try Kern River's Citra DIPA but won't be able to make it to the brewery. It seems it will only be available at the brewery but is there any chance some kegs might make it to SF or San Diego? Or perhaps someone might want to trade a bottle?

Here are my Gots so please message me if anyone has ideas or might be interested in a trade:

http://beeradvocate.com/usebeers?ba=mgbhoo&view=G