1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kern River "Winter Ale" bottles, Anniversary DIPA?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jmerriken, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Picked up a bottle at Stearns in Long Beach. I'm a little confused about what this beer actually is. I believe they had/have a Rye Winter beef as posted on their website, is this that beer or did they bottle their Anniversary DIPA in the Winter bottle? I tasted lots if Rye and hops, not the way I remember 5th anniversary, still tasted really great though. Check Stearns Facebook comments though, people seem to think this is the Anniversary. recipe from last year, bottom line, I'm confused, somebody chime in !
  2. Bottle date on the box was 1/2/13
  3. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

4. Their facebook has referenced them as Winter Ale (Anniversary) and Rye Ale (Rye IPA). However, I saw the rye beer on tap recently as Winter IPA...I'm confused as well.
  5. largadeer

largadeer Advocate (720) California Sep 24, 2006

Winter Ale = 5th Anniversary DIPA.
    Fightthegdfight likes this.
  6. Largadeer has it right. This year's winter is a double ipa; the same recipe as our 5th anniversary beer. There is a draft only batch of rye at the brewery as well.
  7. Last year's was awesome. Hope to see this hit other stores in O.C.
  8. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Beachwood BBQ SB had the Rye IPA on tap a couple of weeks ago. It was shown as Winter IPA if I remember right. Memory is a bitch when you get old. I thought it was the 5th Anny also. But after doing some investigating it was the Rye IPA. I had a pint. It was good. Not like the 5th or Citra or JO.
  9. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Picked up a couple bottles yesterday and was told it's basically the same as the the 5th Ann.DIPA, I'll tell you what, I plan on popping one tonight and I'll let everyone know.:)

Cheers......
    Zerric likes this.
  10. dcgunman

If you tasted a lot of rye then its a good chance it's the rye ipa instead of the 5th anny.
  11. SageO

SageO Savant (350) California Jul 13, 2010

Having had both, there's a very clear difference in color - last year's (rye) pours brown/red, this year's (5th anni) pours golden yellow.
  12. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (825) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I had it last night and it was fantastic. Crushed Just Outstanding in my book.
  13. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Oh, absolutely, this is my favorite KRBC other than Citra.

Cheers....
    dcgunman and kojevergas like this.
  14. dcgunman

Opened a bottle of the Winter Ale last night. Def 5th Anny. Not the Rye IPA. Delicious. The last batch of 5th I had (last year) I did not care for. Too sweet and syrupy. This batch tasted more like the batch when it was first released. I still prefer JO just a bit over this batch of 5th. But still very drinkable. . .again. Citra is still my fav KRBC and in my top three. Looking forward to the next release of Citra from KRBC. . . .soon. Very soon! Hope to see some of you BA'ers at the brewery in a few weeks.
  15. 5th Anniversary was pure rock star! I'm super excited about this release...can't wait to get a hold of some!
  16. Srsly

Srsly Aficionado (215) California Mar 21, 2010

Just Outstanding is solid, but this DIPA is, IMO, seriously outstanding.
  17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

This years Winter Ale > Citra > 5th Anni ( yes same recipe but shit changes when you brew beer ) > JO.
    Callmecoon and ehammond1 like this.
  18. 2012 winter ale far surpasses 5th anniversary and Citra.
    I much prefer this years rye IPA over last years batch. Just outstanding, as a year round beer is awesome, it however doesn't hold a candle to any other seasonal IPA beer KRBC releases.
    evilc likes this.
  19. dcgunman

I believe the 2012 Winter Ale "is" the 5th Anny. It's not dark as the Rye IPA from KRBC. And it's totally different than the Citra. I don't believe the Rye IPA was bottled. Only available on draft. Had it on tap at BWood One last month. And it's not the same as the Winter Ale in bottles.
  20. You are correct on all counts, it IS the 5th anniversary. I was stating this batch of "5th anniversary" is better than past batches and better than Citra.
    The rye was last years winter ale which they brewed again this year on draft only. This years is also better than last years batch.