1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Keystone Light Bitter Beer Face Campaign

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 01Ryan10, May 20, 2013.

1. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (270) California Sep 10, 2011

Remember when this ad campaign tried to convince us that bitter beer was bad?

2. Hahahaha... This is like trying to convince people that Budweiser is actually the King of Beers!

3. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

amazing how far we've come as a nation ... loads of bitter hops in our good beer *and* a black president in the white house.

Shogun730, gir02021 and Swik like this.
  4. Jonada

Jonada Savant (485) New Jersey May 23, 2012

It's almost as awesome as the new Natty Light "Brother Natural" commercial

5. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

I thought that was Miller Lite?

6. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Wow. I feel like I just walked in on an awkward moment at a church summer camp for boys who have no other social outlets.
    really...having hard time figuring out where you're coming from with this '88. 'Black president' comment aside, the advent of hoppy beers is hardly an American invention

5thOhio, Bones10 and KS1297 like this.
  7. Sipchue

Sipchue Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

What a hoot! Thanks for the post.

8. Wasn't it more that Coors was trying to appeal to people who already didn't want a beer with much bitterness?
    Those types of beer drinkers still dominant the US market (in which more than 50% of the beer sold is "light beer" with IBU's of 10 or less vs. IPA's with less than 1%) and it's a trend that's more than a century old by now.

Michigan and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

He's the guy at the party who comes alone and makes every conversation super uncomfortable.

Hdredfern, MrGreengenes2 and 5thOhio like this.
  10. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

No, black presidents are hardly an American invention either.

FishPondManager likes this.
  11. I'm kinda surprised the big brewers haven't tried to cull the burgeoning popularity of small craft brewers by running any type of defensive campaigns. While I doubt they have seen an appreciable drop in sales, it's definitely growing and likely doing so at the expense of the BMC brands. It might be in their best interest to try to stop it before it gets worse. While they seem to have more of a "if you can't beat em, join em" type of attitude with the acquisition of Goose Island and products like Blue Moon, but they should at least approach the market with a "craft beer at a discount" type of messaging. Maybe it's out there, but I haven't seen it.

12. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

http://www.crystalspringsbrewing.com/home.html

Uh oh! Think we'll see a cease and desist?

13. Gary79

Gary79 Aficionado (130) Michigan Apr 8, 2011

Keith Stone never had a bitter beer face.

KS1297 likes this.
  14. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Doesn't say anything about inventing squat??? Just mentions how far we've come as Americans. Just can't stand when people get put on blast for no apparent reason, especially one they definetly didn't mention.

kemoarps, spitshaded and TheGoof like this.
  15. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

I like the Keith stone commercials that keystone has now. The one where he takes the girl out of the tree and tells the old lady to "hold my stones" is great.
    They aren't going to persuade me but they are entertaining.

16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

When I was young and knew nothing about beer I bought into this concept hook, line, & sinker.
    I remember buying a 6-pack of Keystone Light and Tequiza. I remember thinking the Keystone tasted like soured soapy water and by comparison even something as horrid as Tequiza was better.

17. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

But, miserable failures are.

KS1297 likes this.
  18. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

it's easy to offend ... or confuse :) *goes back to super uncomfortable corner*

19. LukeH

LukeH Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 5, 2013

If I were the BMC, I'd approach it like this; like you said, continue with the "can't beat em; join em" approach that you eluded to, but also use a marketing campaign that pokes fun at some of the pretensions that have a way of seeping into the craft beer scene. A-B has already done this to a small extent with their "Brother Natural" commercial, which I found pretty amusing, as much as I love craft beers. With their flagship brands, they should basically say "there is nothing wrong with enjoying these beers, and don't let some hipster d-bag make you feel bad for it," and, with their craftier offerings, basically say "good beer, on par with or better than the microbrews, but without the annoying pretensions." I'm in no way siding with BMC over smaller brewers, I'm just saying, if I were them, and I were worried about losing market share to the craft brewers (which they should be,) that is the approach that I would take.

20. Of course. Totally agree. They have plenty of ammunition.. Pretensions, costs, availability, etc.. Maybe they just aren't worry about it.

21. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

I know that when I took the tour of the Budweiser brewery in St. Louis a couple of years ago the tour guide referred to this as "the craft brew fad", so maybe that is how they see this as some type of social experiment that will fail and fade out..

kemoarps likes this.
  22. LukeH

LukeH Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 5, 2013

Sure, one commercial could show some annoying hipster getting his comeupance, another could show a guy going to the bank to take out a loan so that he can fund his craft brew hobby, yet another could depict someone on a treacherous cross country journey to get some legendary beer, culminating in him saying "that's it? "[whatever BMC "craft" product] is better made, and I could have gotten it down the street!" The possibilities are endless.

23. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

The worst part is, very few people would actually disagree with this commercial.

"Well yeah why would anybody want to drink a bitter beer!?"