1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Keystone

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by MarkyMOD, Dec 23, 2012.

1. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (660) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Going up to Keystone with family for a few days, was wondering if there are any good breweries nearby (say 15-20 miles) that are worth checking out. Saw there are 2 in Dillion, was curious if there are any more.

2. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (325) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Don't know about beer but they have been getting snow. Going riding maƱana and Wednesday up there.

3. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Dillon DAM Brewery

4. MarkyMOD

Thanks Pros, that was the one we were going to hit up, unless I heard of a better brewery or craft bar on here. Me and my Uncle are going tomorrow poon (he skies, I board) if you have any interest of meeting up on the mountain or after for a beer, just let me know.

5. Dillon does some pretty decent beers, I was impressed last time (and the first time) I went. Really enjoyed the pretzels and cheese dip too!

6. holden303

holden303 Aficionado (150) Colorado Jun 18, 2010

And the liquor store by City Market in Silverthorne has some good beers. Early this season they had tart of darkness and oude tart still on the shelf, may be useful for any Summit County goers, I was certainly surprised.

7. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (540) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Dillon DAM brewery has really good food too and enjoyed the beer!

8. UisgeBeatha

UisgeBeatha Zealot (85) Colorado Nov 8, 2008

Backcountry brewery in frisco is very solid.

biking4beer likes this.
  9. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

^yea, another good one if you are up to driving another 10 miles or so is the one in Frisco it's called Backcountry Brewery, solid session-able stuff with one or two special beers typically on tap and have pizza and grill/bar/lounge kind of atmosphere.

biking4beer likes this.
  10. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

If you do go to Frisco, hit up Prost...a sausage place, with good bottle list. Sausage. Beer. Yeup

11. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I've found the Backcountry Brewery in Frisco to be nothing short of horrendous. I would avoid it like the plague personally.

The Dillon Dam brewery always seems to be really crowded, but it is very tasty.

12. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Backcountry's bottled IPA/pale ale is delicious and only $3.49 per bomber. The porter is pretty good too.

biking4beer and denver10 like this.
  13. MarkyMOD

Thanks for all the info, will probably check out Backcountry because they have beers that aren't on every brewery's list (unlike Dillion DAM, unless their website doesn't tell the whole tale), thinking about having their Weizenbock and porter (my liver is on vacation too). Hopefully my experience isn't like Alex's, but even if it is I still brought Abyss up :D Will probably check out that liquor store in silverthorne too if I have time, any other good bottle stores up here?

14. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (470) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

I've been up that way 2-3 times in the past 6 months and always make a point to stop at Backcountry. Not sure if Alex had a bad experience, but they always seem to have tasty beers pouring when I'm there. Alan's a great brewer and always seems to have some interesting seasonal beers on tap. On Friday they tapped a Tart SaiZin along with their Barleywine, which brings them to 10 beers on tap right now. Great happy hour too, with discounted food and $2.50 pints.

Pug Ryan's is just down from Keystone in Dillon. They've got some decent session stuff and another great happy hour with $2.50 pints. I've never eaten there, but the food looks good with everything from pub food to prime rib.

Hope that helps. Have fun.

biking4beer likes this.
  15. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

I'll qualify my last statement as it was harsh without any explanation (sorry!). Their beers are pretty good. I've found the place itself serves really bad pizza and the waiters/waitresses are always disappointing. Most recently I went there with a pretty big group of people new to Colorado, at request from someone in the group, and were treated pretty poorly. Experiences like that leave me a bit salty.

If you were to hang out at the bar or only order a few beers, I bet it would be great!

16. biking4beer

biking4beer Savant (385) Colorado Oct 5, 2006

Hey guys. Thanks for the kind words about our brewery and beer. alexipa, sorry to hear about your experience. Please check your inbox.

As Mark (drumrboy22) said, we have 10 beers on tap right now. We have our 5 year around beers, plus Breakfast Stout, Ore Bucket India Black Ale, Expedition Red Ale (formerly ESB), Tart SaiZin, and Old Beer-Wagon Barleywine. The Tart SaiZin is our Imperial Saison that was aged in a Rombauer Zinfandel barrel for 18 months. There was a small Lactobacillus addition to add a touch of tartness. The barleywine is from a batch that we we brewed in May of 2011. We put away a couple of kegs to see how it aged (we think it aged well). Those two beers are super limited and I'm not sure if they are still on tap. I'll be swinging by the brewery for a bit today, so I can report back to see if those kegs are still flowing. The Weizenbock kicked last week. I miss it. We need to update that on the website.

I think we have a pretty solid, and often overlooked, beer scene here in Summit County. All of the brewers up here are passionate about making good beer. If you can make it to all the breweries, I would definitely recommend doing so. Prost is also a pretty cool place like Jason (mebuzzard) said. That's my Frisco watering hole when I'm not drinking at the brewery.

If you guys ever have any questions about Backcountry Brewery, feel free to message me or start a thread.

Alan Simons
    Head Brewer
    Backcountry Brewery

17. MarkyMOD

Thanks for the post Alan! Was very helpful, and always great to see commercial brewers on BA. Your two most mouth smacking beers (you know which ones) were still on tap as of 1pm when I called, so our party will be swinging by around 8 (plenty of others sounded good if 7 hours cleared those two out). If you're there and see a guy in a blue shirt with a very short, unkept mohawk, feel free to say hi and/or give him a free beer or two, sure he wouldn't mind :D