Kiln Coffee Malt

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jacob4999, Feb 9, 2013.

1. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Has anyone used this for a recipe? Saw it at my LHBS and tasted some it and it tasted great! I'm still a newbie and was thinking of ways to use this in a recipe. Thanks!

2. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (180) New York Mar 17, 2009

I use it and everything from Brown ales to dark milds. It's a signature malt for a lot of my beers. Usually a half to three quarters of a pound for 5 gallon all grain batch.

Cheers!

3. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

How subtle or strong does the coffee taste come through using it? And is it a bitter coffee taste or not bitter? I could taste coffee for about an hour after chewing on a little piece of it and it was great. Thanks for the reply!

4. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (180) New York Mar 17, 2009

It really depends on what base malt you use and what type of crystal if any you pair with it. I tend to use Golden promise and English dark crystal in a lot of my beers, it goes well with that. I would say it gives a reasonable coffee flavor and not bitter if used in moderation. I recommend to buy a pound of it and just try it it's really the only way you will find out.

Cheers!

barfdiggs and jacob4999 like this.
  5. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (585) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Have used it in several stouts that my wife loved; I thought the coffee was a little strong. It gives more of a coffee taste than actual coffee in some cases. Highly recommended if that's what you're looking for, just use with discretion.

jacob4999 likes this.
  6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Its definitely a nice malt. Very unique coffee flavor, but like you said Jerry, it is potent. Had similar wife reactions when I added a bit into a milk stout recipe I've been continually working on. Really nice and nuanced. On the other hand, I used a shit ton of it (~3 lbs) in a Coffee-less Coffee RIS a year back, and while it was a over the top fresh (Coffee Grounds Smell/Taste), after a year of age, it turned out to be a great beer.

DubbelMan likes this.
  7. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (585) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

It is a very interesting malt, to say the least. I might try just a smidgen in a black IPA...