1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Kinda biased description of a beer style by The Bros

Discussion in 'Site' started by stumac, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stumac

stumac Savant (445) Texas Oct 16, 2007

Read this description of the Dry Irish Stout here on the website:

DRY IRISH STOUT

One of the most common stouts, Dry Irish Stout tend to have light-ish bodies to keep them on the highly drinkable side. They're usually a lower carbonation brew and served on a nitro system for that creamy, masking effect. Bitterness comes from both roasted barley and a generous dose of hops, though the roasted character will be more noticeable. Examples of the style are, of course, the big three, Murphy's, Beamish, and Guinness, however there are many American brewed Dry Stouts that are comparable, if not better.

Does it not seam that the last statement was a bit biased? "American Dry Stouts....if not better." Who's to really say what's tastes better? Isn't that up to the individual who this entire website is designed for? After reading that statement, I strangely feel that I don't think there's a better beer out there than an Irish Dry Stout.....
  2. jdklks

jdklks Savant (365) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

No. It is an American website with mostly American members promoting mostly American craft beer. Since those three are probably the only dry Irish stouts from Ireland that most Americans have tried/have access to, it is simply encouraging people to try a wider range of offerings that might be available to them (and thus probably brewed by an American brewery) within the style.

Edit: and of course American craft-brewed dry Irish stouts are better than those three awful examples! Though the style itself doesn't have much going for it to begin with.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I see nothing wrong with the blurb quoted in OP. America is now in the forefront of producing great beers in classic styles and the Bros noting it as often as possible is just them speaking truth.
  4. O'Hara's ├╝ber alles.
  5. To add to jdklks' comments, I think maybe the Bros were saying that there are American examples that taste better to the American palate, if not necessarily as true to the original style.

I have to say though, I enjoy a can of Murphy's more than a lot of the American-made dry Irish stouts I've had.
  6. mwelz

mwelz Aspirant (45) Vermont May 27, 2010

I'm with the OP in that I don't blindly genuflect at every mention of the Bros (even though I love/respect their work). I think he's totally right: those are the defining beers of the style. So with reference to style their comment about "better" is total BS and biased indeed. On the other hand, I do believe there are many great american beers that call themselves dry stouts that are better beers without judging strictly by style. But again, those typically deviate (in some delicious way) from the classic style. I return the floor to the sycophants...
    stumac likes this.
  7. All opinions are biased, and this is a site based around opinions.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It's not kinda biased, it is biased, as that was our intent when we wrote that description well-over a decade ago; a time when imports (specifically in Boston) had a strangle hold on the beer scene and American craft beer was emerging.

Surprised you're just noticing this now. You've been a member since 2007 and the entire website has been based on consumer (biased) opinions since 1996.

Anyway, all of this reminds me that our styles descriptions are dated. They need updating.

Thanks for the reminder.
    stumac and blivingston1985 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.