1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

King Henry Recomendations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by robboyd, Jan 19, 2013.

1. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Tomorrow some good BA's and I will be doing a pretty in depth Barley Wine tasting, while also playing videos games of our youth. In addition to King Henry, we'll be drinking a number of limited or highly rated barrel aged (or not) barley wines. I'd like to drink them in a fashion that the community could appreciate as a whole. Any recommendations? I'd be happy to film our tasting, take in depth notes on a blind tasting, or just chug at random. What say ye BA? How should we consume these beers? (Also, if you are in the Indianapolis area and are interested in participating, with beer to contribute, BM me.)
    Duff27 likes this.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Flight them. No other details. Just pour the beers and have fun. Anything more complicated is nonsense.
  3. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

A list of beers that you are going to taste would help us help you with recomendations on how to, or not to do it. If you are doing limited and highly rated I wouldn't suggest chugging. Video might be fun but not necessary. It might distract from you guys enjoying the beers and company, notes are helpful as you savor the flavor. Most importantly, don't worry about us, just do what makes you happy. Have fun!
  4. robboyd

Yeah, just trying to have some fun. While I have huge respect for beer and no one who knows me would contest that, I don't take it too seriously. Just wondering, regardless of stature, rarity, or price, if you could just have some fun and enjoy a lineup, how would you do it, or better yet, if it was someone else's investment and you didn't care, how would you like to see it go down?

My contribution to this lineup is as follows:

King Henry
    2011 BA Naked Evil
    2011 Behemoth
    BA Daft
    Bolt Cutter
    Heavy Seas BO Below Decks

Probably will see similar contributions from several other BA's.
  5. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Shots of Jose Cuervo with King Henry chasers.
  6. Always remember....avoid don flamencos uppercuts.... And body shots to the xx onking hoppos stomach!
  7. robboyd

I'm not against this.
  8. robboyd

I feel like this is far more relevant than any beer drinking advice. 3 video game stations with nothing more recent than nintendo 64.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  9. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Work some other styles in there as well, just to cleanse your taste buds... Matilda or something along those lines.
  10. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I assume when you say "games of your youth" you are referencing n64 and that one of these games will be mario cart. I mean Goldeneye and Super Smash Brothers are viable...but eh. Drunk Driving. Do it!
    callmeishmALE likes this.
  11. robboyd

Sadly, my youth starts prior to N64. I can work an atari paddle controller like your sister can work my..... In all seriousness, the name of the event is "Contra Bowl" rather than, "lets drink some barleywine and make people jealous of our awesomeness." I think for most my age, original NES was the primary system of our youth. While everything is up for debate, my gracious host will actually be up in just a couple hours to start smoking some pork butt for the party. I'm just taking advantage of the fact that he can't defend himself at this exact moment.
  12. Depending on how many people are coming, I'd leave the bottle count low and just pop em open one at a time. This way at least you can still taste things and not get too sloshed.. Unless that's the point, and then go for it and drink em all.
  13. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

This seriously sounds like the coolest tasting ever! Video games, killer beer, BBQ.....oh my!
  14. DavidEddie

DavidEddie Savant (280) Illinois Jul 12, 2006

15. robboyd

I can only assume the L stands for leotards. That's the only thing we'll be short of. Nothing but man and beer, and maybe gay man and beer (because we're not some bull shit hate mongers), and strong women and beer, and even weak women with strong thoughts of mind and beer, at this party. But seriously, regardless of your political mindset, if you aren't into beer, find another URL to cause on.
    ForkAndSpoonOp likes this.
  16. No classic gaming get-together is complete without Baseball Stars on the NES.
    Profchaos20 likes this.
  17. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Bring your own lazers? To a videogame party? Nah... I'll just stick to the orange duck hunt gun.
    founder26 likes this.
  18. I highly recommend drinking KH last, if not doing blind.

Better to go upward than downhill.

EDIT: If there's a good chance you'll be too lit towards the end, then might as well start off on a high note and taste KH first.
  19. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (540) Illinois May 19, 2008

Fixed.
    YogiBeer and sukwonee like this.
  20. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (530) California May 3, 2011

Then you better have 30 lives: UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A Select Start

Also, if you happen to play Mike Tyson`s Punchout: 007 373 5963

Cheers!
  21. Secretly switch the contents of the King Henry and Bolt Cutter bottles :D
  22. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

If you are having a "Contra bowl" then, you will need this........

[​IMG]

And BA Naked Evil is delicious!
    dvelcich, zac16125 and calcnerd like this.
  23. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Grab a whole bunch of tasting glasses and have someone pour flights numbered with a sharpie. Try these beers then blind against each other with no preconceived notions about what they are or what they are supposed to be.
    luwak and Bad_Trader like this.
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Too bad in not local, or I could bring my Intellivision and Colecovision systems over.....
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  25. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

Great game, but I prefer the original RBI baseball.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  26. King Henry and Contra is how I picture heaven.....
  27. Also, I feel like I need to comment on this NES baseball discussion. Little League World Series is the best baseball game for any video game system ever. Get your shit together guys!
    TheBandit1 likes this.
  28. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Please don't go with the chug
  29. Nobody can stop Christian Okoye.
    Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  30. As host, coordinate serving your guests blind flights to get a better sense of how people rank these gems.

I couldn't agree with this more.
    I love me some Naked Evil.
  31. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (390) California Dec 14, 2008

just did this last night with similar beers, all BA barleywines. We did it blind, took notes, guessed which beer we thought it was and ranked our top three. MOAS was the consensus number one, followed by King Henry, then Sucaba. Also in the tasting were Hi Fi Rye, Naked Evil, Behemoth, Abacus, Straight Jacket, Cockeyed Cooper, Central Waters, and Cereal Killer.
  32. Sad to see that you have no Cigar City Leon on your list.:(
  33. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Yeah, I don't get the Bolt Cutter hate.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  34. FIFY
  35. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

I beg to differ -

Cheers !
  36. Lol! Thanks for posting that.
  37. Drink some Utopias while playing Utopia.
  38. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

I would drink the King Henry last. Otherwise, you will ruin all the other beers.
  39. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I like to sometimes flight beers that are all the same style "blind"
    So they the names and out preconceived notions thereof don't interfere with our honest opinions.

Just make even pours in same size glasses and put taped on numbers or name son the bottom of the glasses facing down.
    Its easy to forget even right after the pours as long as you do a "shell game" with the glasses then you can look later and say "ohhh THAT was Abacus...!" or whatever...

If you take notes you can actually learn about your own palate this way.
  40. WHY DID I NEVER KNOW THAT PUNCH OUT CODE? CURSE MY WRETCHED CHILDHOOD.

Sounds like a good time. If I was local, I'd contribute an Abacus and a Game Genie.