1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

King Henry Recomendations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by robboyd, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Drink the Bolt Cutter last
    You will be glad you had the opprotunity to pour it out and not have it ruin all the other beers!
  2. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Date and save the Bolt Cutter for another tasting 1 year from now with the same group.

Drink the King Henry last and enjoy the heck out of everything else before that, cheers!
  3. Sounds like a blast.... and I'm totally going to go play some Goal and drink self whales right now!
  4. ceez

ceez Aspirant (40) Illinois Aug 23, 2011

age the Boltcutter!!! still too hot in my opinion

just acquired a KHenry for $50
  5. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Well it was a great night. I decided to go "blind flight" and rank them top down. Here's my order:

1. King Henry
    2. Behemoth
    3. Heavy Sea's Bourbon Below Decks
    4. BA Naked Evil
    5. Daft
    6. Bolt Cutter
    7. Bitch Please

Some notes: The King Henry and Behemoth were a class above. The King Henry was the clear winner. Nothing bad can be said about this beer. The Behemoth was an outlier in overall profile, with the most hop forward presence to it, even with nearly a year on the bottle. Simply put, it was outstanding. I felt the Daft was the most "true to style" and ranking 3-5 was extremely difficult. i could reorder those three beers and would feel fine about it. The Bourbon Below Decks was probably the biggest shocker. Nearly everyone in the tasting group had great comments about it. It was probably the least "hyped" beer in the lineup and really came out a winner. Bitch Please was the unanimous loser of the group. It had the most wood to it but that is it's only complimentary quality. It was far too smoky to be enjoyable. Bolt cutter, in my eyes, was a terrible beer compared to the rest of the lineup. Keep in mind, I did this blind and Bolt Cutter was the ONLY beer of this group I had drank previously. I actually enjoyed it on tap at Founders shortly after the release. It really did not stack up well against the rest of these fine beers head-to-head however. Our host said he enjoyed it, but I didn't hear one other good thing about this beer. In the end, the top two and bottom two of my list stood out as being excellent or poor. Everything in the middle was far above average but just couldn't get to elite status.
  6. robboyd

Here's my order after the blind flight:

[​IMG]

We kicked it up a bit and this was our final graveyard:

[​IMG]
  7. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Flight the beers so you dont get as hammered as I am right now and actually remember them.
  8. robboyd

Little late on the recommendation. See my previous two posts.
  9. Looking for a King Henry for my BW tasting later this Feb.
    Line up so far looks like

Lunker
    BA Sebago
    Gratitude
    Behemoth
    BoltCutter
    BA Bigfoot
    Decadence
    Old Tavern Rat

Would like to trade for a KH
  10. Tecmo Bowl and NBA Jam is all you need.
  11. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (400) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

we did have Baseball Stars....however, i can't recall if we played it or not....things got a little nutty after we had the Bruery Black Tuesday....

other games there were Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, NBA Jam, Goldeneye, Contra, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mario 3, RBI Baseball 2, Battletoads.....and probably about 30 other games. it was a great time. Thanks Rob for bringing the King Henry....