1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kiwi Rising

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Archemedies, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Every beer Jack's Abby makes is a lager.

2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

Maybe it is because it has been a year, but this batch tastes better than last year. Hoppier and less balanced. Just the way I like it. Yum!

3. If they didn't tell you they were lagers would you know hoponius union and Kiwi rising were? Thus the reason for the lol.

4. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (375) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Got 2 bottles at Julios. They had more than a few cases unopened. Great stuff.

5. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

I blew through a few cases at The Vin Bin in Marlboro. Im trying to get more for the Thanksgiving rush. I thought it was fabulous. One of the best beers ive tasted in a while.

6. I got a chance to try one last night. Definitely a hit. Big big fan of this beer and I hope I'll be able to find more.

7. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 16, 2011

Loving this beer right now. Tastes a lot like, at least to me, the HF beer made this summer Riwaka.

Rekrule likes this.
  8. I made this point in a separate thread about Jack's Abby. In a blind tasting you'd be hard pressed to figure out those two were lagers. The hops are so overpowering most would think they were IPAs. Not a bad thing if you're a hop head, but after a Kiwi Rising today I had a Mahr's Hell. Now that's what I think a lager is. When most BA's say, "I never knew a lager could be so tasty" they really mean "I love hops."

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  9. Reminds me of HF Edward. So juicy, so delicious.

10. Exactly. When I think of a quality lagers, I think of breweries like Mahr's, Ayinger, Schlenkerla, etc., and if someone asked me to name the best lagers out there, I tend to think of those breweries first.

I love what Jack's Abby is doing - they make really delicious beers. But, as much as I want to include them on the "favorite lagers" list, it's as if I envision an asterisk next to their name because they really blur the line between lagers and the taste of ales. That's nothing to fault them for because that's their goal... all of their bottles clearly say something like "our goal is to combine traditional lagers with modern American brewing approach" and I applaud them for that. It's a unique approach not many breweries take, so they're practically in their own world... almost as if they compete with no one else but themselves.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  11. I was told it uses different hops than last year's. Some other mixture of New Zealand hops. Last year was just Galaxy?

12. Saw some on the shelf at Granite Liquors in Weymouth on Thursday, by Sunday there were only about 3 left, don't know if there were more in the back or not

13. I was at Granite on Saturday and I know they didnt have any left, not sure if there were any backstock either

14. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

most likely not galaxy considering it's an australian varietal.

15. I thought that but could've sworn galaxy was used despite the kiwi reference.

16. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

That wouldn't surprise me too much as Kiwi Rising is a bit like Double Galaxy.

17. Last year we used Motueka and Pacific Jade. This year was Motueka, Nelson and Southern Cross.

smutty33, a74gent, seanwhite and 4 others like this.
  18. love the Nelson!

19. Grabbed a bottle of KR last night. Psyched to try it.

20. Answered by JA themselves - but I still think whatever hops they used ended up in a hot alcohol, disjointed bleh of a beer. I had a 2nd bottle which reaffirmed my original opinion - couldn't even finish it. Tasted dirty & over-resinous to me.

21. It's crazy how subjective taste can be. For 8.5%, I found the alcohol perfectly hidden by the tropical and citrus flavors. If money and personal responsibility were no object, I could throw back a couple of these most nights of the week. So drinkable and tasty.

22. Agreed, I've drank 4 bottles now on 3 occasions and thought the alcohol was non existant. One of the best new beers I've had in a while.

23. fyi, saw a few cases in stock at Marty's Big Buys in Allston yesterday.

24. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (355) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Sunset Grill had it on tap last night.

patrickcmcd likes this.
  25. BeerBum

BeerBum Aficionado (235) California Nov 13, 2012

Just a heads up...

Liquor World still has bottles of Kiwi, at least half a dozen in the cooler. Also, Pemberton Farms (Mass Ave.) had 3-4 bottles left although theirs were not being kept cold.