1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Knoxville source for S.N. Torpedo??

Discussion in 'US - South' started by GMan, Jun 8, 2012.

1. GMan

GMan Member

On a recent trip to Ga. I bought some Sierra Nevada Torpedo at a Krogers, and fell in LOVE. In Tn. we must get this in liquor store and I have not found it anywhere. Does anyone know of a store that carries Torpedo?? Everywhere I ask, nobody knows of it. Thanks for any leads.
  2. fat58hwy

fat58hwy Member

I have never seen it in Knoxville. Beverage World in Fort Oglethorpe, GA, or Brusin' Ales in Ashville are the closest options.
  3. GMan

GMan Member

thanks for the reply. This really sucks. I hope Tennessee loosens up and lets us get this in grocery stores like surrounding states. Not only do I have to drive a couple of hours to locate this, but Tn. looses out on the state taxes for my purchase. Maybe I can find a good place to eat while on my trip and Tn. will miss the taxes on my meal also. I hope they get the message "the state is losing my money! "
  4. fat58hwy

fat58hwy Member

That's a little extreme for Torepedo. I mean we lost DFH, can't get any Bell's (althought it does drive through TN as it's delivered to GA), Lagunitas may be coming here, and Founders is nothing but a pipe dream in TN. Not having those is a reason to make sure TN does not get your money, but Torpedo? It's really good, but not great. I joke, but we do have a decent selection and it is improving...slowly.
  5. GMan

GMan Member

Yep. I agree a little extreme for one beer, but not for the legal situation that causes the problem. A big grocery chain carries this just across the line, but not here due to the higher alcohol content. Big deal.... about 1 % more. And the liquor stores here just shrug their shoulders and say "Sierra Nevada? Aren't they in the grocery stores?" Frustrating stuff.
  6. lcplvr

lcplvr Member

GMan, like you, I also fell in love with SN Torpedo. I just finished a six pack that I purchased at Food City in Weber City, Va. which is just across the border from Kingsport, TN. I think it is about 7.2 ABV which makes it a no-no in TN grocery stores. But it is good to go in VA.
  7. Bristol

Bristol Member

Interesting thread, because i just had a conversation with a couple local liquor stores and Cherokee distributing Knoxville and Johnson City. It will be available soon (couple of months) for off-premise liquor stores, but not currently. It is on tap currently in a number of places in JC...Mellow Mushroom, Tipton St., One12 are a few I can confirm, because I've consumed in those places. I live in JC, but work in Bristol and it is also available at the Food City on Euclid Ave, Bristol, VA. they have bottles, but SNT has recently started a can line also. If you haven't had tried the IPA I highly recommend picking some up. My current favorite IPA!
  8. GMan

GMan Member

Bristol, thanks for giving me some hope! I guess I will wait for a while and then start calling some of the bottle shops to see if they can or will order some for me. Taste is a very personal thing, and I have not found an IPA that suits me as well as this one.
  9. rangerred

rangerred Member

That is definitely good news! Hopefully that means SN Celebration will be readily available come fall and winter.
  10. swooshjtb

swooshjtb Member

Apparently, TN is split up into 3 distribution zones: East, Middle, and West. Torpedo is readily available in both Nashvile and Memphis (has been for more than 2 years), as are most SN brews. Therefore, each zone is basically like its own state. I heard this info in the winter/spring of 2010/2011 from one of the guys at East End Liquor Shoppe. Hopefully, SN will begin distributing in East TN when the new SN brewery opens outside of Asheville. That brewery was nearly built in the Maryville, TN, area outside of Knoxville. However, thanks to the unnecessarily stupid distribution and brewing laws in TN, SN decided to go with an East Coast brewery near Asheville.
  11. swooshjtb

swooshjtb Member

Just drive to Nashville. It's sold there.
  12. gwlad02

gwlad02 Member

I live about 3 minutes from where they were supposedly marking off the plot where the brewery was supposed to be. We all thought it was gonna happen, man...
  13. KentT

KentT Member

Sad too that stupid liquor laws prevented this from becoming a Maryville brewery, the town in which I was born.
  14. Photekut

Photekut Member

Oh well, I have many better beers in my basement. :)
    GMan likes this.
  15. gwlad02

gwlad02 Member

So do I, but there's something to be said for a brewery like that to come into town. It would have been the renegade pick, the inspiring dark horse. Instead they go to Asheville. BORING. So what if their beer culture is the best in the south...
  16. GMan

GMan Member