1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kolsch Season

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by diesel59, Mar 14, 2013.

1. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I know its only the 2nd week of march, but when we get a few warm days this time of year, I get this craving for some ice cold Kolsch. Sittin' on the porch with my dogs, lookin' out over my plush green lawn with a frosty glass full of Reisdorf. Oh yeah, now thats what I'm talkin' bout'.

Anyone else a fan of this "under the radar" German masterpiece?

jrbchef, Mediczod, Tballz420 and 15 others like this.
  2. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (360) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Captain lawrence captains kolsch! Get some STAT!

3. diesel59

I will definatly take your advice.............. I am like 45 mins from their brewery in elmsford........... so its very available in this area.............. thanks for the suggestion.......

4. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Savant (450) New York Feb 15, 2008

The thing I've learned about the few kolschs that I've had is that the idea of drinking them ice cold is often better than the reality. Cold temps really lay a sledgehammer on its delicate flavor.

5. I am a huge fan. Matter of fact, my buddy and I have been brewing multiple 30-gallon batches of the stuff recently. After a trip to Koeln over Xmas and some valuable "research," I think we finally managed to hit on the recipe we were going for: something with the malt profile of a Malzmuehle and the hoppiness of a Paeffgen. Enjoyed a few outside during a warm SC weekend recently (buddy nerded out majorly on the beer mat).

[​IMG]

Neorebel, narayan, Tballz420 and 15 others like this.
  6. diesel59

agreed............. shall I say slightly chilled.......;)

7. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I'd say it's still bock season, where I live; and irish red ales too, considering the upcoming holiday.

I do like a good kolsch, though.

harrylee773 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  8. YEAH BUDDY, I love KOLSCH.

Luk13 likes this.
  9. Seconding this- a very good example, and likely to be in better condition than either Gaffel or Reisdorf- especially if you are not too far from the brewery.

Last year I went through a few sixers of Lancaster, but now that Capt Lawrence is available in NJ I'm going with them instead.

Mediczod likes this.
  10. I'm all about the kolschs. Summer can't get here fast enough.

Mediczod likes this.
  11. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago when I picked up a growler of Stoudt's Karnival Kolsh from the local Canal's.
    A great tip of the cap to an under appreciated style!

12. Props to kolsch. I spent 4 months in Cologne and have fond memories of the cold narrow glasses of Fruh and Gaffel.

Neorebel and Kyrojack like this.
  13. Just brewed a honey kolsch and going to do a blueberry variation as well, like this message and I'll pick a few people at random and mail out these homebrews when they are finished.

14. Am I the only one that isn't a huge fan of the Kolsch style? Theres something about them I just can't get into. I can't exactly put my finger on it. I guess I need to drink more of them this year.

diesel59 likes this.
  15. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I'm game. ;)

Frankinstiener likes this.
  16. Btw, I noticed Dundee's Kolsch is back in their Spring/Summer variety pack this year after being absent in last year's pack. I know its Dundee but the more Kolsch the better.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Kölsch is all about refreshing.

18. Metropolitan Krank Schaft, and even some Goose Island Summertime when it get warm can't wait.

19. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aficionado (245) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

Been to Cologne many, many times for work and Paeffgen is my favorite so this sounds fantastic!

herrburgess likes this.
  20. Yes sir, actually just brewed a Kolsch last month. Can't wait to drink a few of these.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  21. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I love kolsch. If you have a chance, try to get some from Mad Fox. They do both a filtered and unfiltered kolsch, and lately have had both on tap. The unfiltered won a GABF gold, I think in 2011.

Chaney and highdesertdrinker like this.
  22. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Love kolsch, I'll definitely look for the Captain Lawrence. Time to bring back the memories of being in Cologne last summer.

23. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I love Kolsch to death... it's ALWAYS Kolsch season as far as I am concerned :cool:

Onenote81 likes this.
  24. jeebeel

jeebeel Aficionado (210) Texas Jun 17, 2003

Looks great. Any chance of sharing that recipe?

25. The system we brew on is 30 gallons, so scaling down may or may not work. Happy to send along anyway if you like. Just send me a beer-mail.

26. Thanks for the tip about Mad Fox. I am guessing that this is a draft only product (available only at the brewpub?).

The unfiltered Kolsch did indeed win a Gold Medal at the 2011 GABF for the Kellerbier category; it is called Mad Fox Kellerbier Kölsch.

“Kellerbier Kölsch (4.4% ABV)
    Our 2011 Great American Beer Festival® Gold Medal award winning Kellerbier style Kӧlsch. Same recipe as our standard Kӧlsch, just an unfiltered version served cellar style like a German Brewer might enjoy directly from the lager tank. The experience might not be as crisp as the filtered version due to the presence of yeast and other proteins that are typically filtered out.”

Sounds tasty!

I have a homebrewed Kolsch that I brewed with Kolsch Malt from a maltster co-op based in Osthofen, near Köln. It is happily bottle conditioning as I type this. I suppose my homebrewed beer is a Kellerbier Kolsch since I don’t filter my homebrewed beers.

Cheers!

gjoker321 likes this.
  27. Harpoon Summer is a great example of a Kolsch and is readily available once released

28. smakawhat

Mad Fox does make solid offerings, I was confused to about the category, and I "think?" I've only had the clear version? It's at their brewpub, but I've also had it at Meridian Pint also. There's a good chance it might be there for the 29th March event too.

And yes it's a very solid Kolsch or.. Keller or whatever it is.. it's great. (love Kellerbeir also), when I had it at the brewpub and asked for the winning Kolsch that's what they gave me, but it was clear.. so I am confused.. It's "Kolsch style" more than likely what I had.

And yup it is tasty. Fruh from Germany has now landed stateside and I really enjoy it also, along with Reissdorf.

29. I'm still a fan of Goose Island's Summertime Kolsch. It's hardly some complex beer, but it's refreshing.

highdesertdrinker and champ103 like this.
  30. “but it was clear.. so I am confused..”

It is possible for an unfiltered beer to have a non-cloudy appearance. For the instance of an unfiltered Kolsch at the brewpub, it may have been in the chilled serving tank for a sufficient time for the yeast and proteins (and polyphenols) to settle out. I am of the opinion that filtering can ‘strip out’ flavor so my personal preference is to drink unfiltered beer if given the choice.

Cheers!

31. COAST 32/50 is absolutely amazing. Why that doesn't get more love I have no clue.

Handle and champ103 like this.
  32. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Something about sipping kolsch from a stange warms my heart just to think of it. Looking forward to visiting Cologne asap - perhaps even this summer.

herrburgess likes this.
  33. I think it's rated the #1 for its style on here. I think that's pretty generous. Either way, I agree, it's a pretty good representation of the style. Wish they'd offer a filtered version, too, for the traditionalists out there.

34. smakawhat

learn something new everyday! Thanks!

Getting back to the original question, I think what I am confused about is there are now two entries for this Mad Fox brew. When I had it there was only one under the listing Kolsch.. now there are Two of them:

http://beeradvocate.com/search?q=mad fox kolsch&qt=beer

Not sure if there is a difference, maybe there is. Either way the brew is tasty.

35. I'm jealous that your lawn is green already, let alone plush.

Willbfun likes this.
  36. 32/50 from Coast is a great US example of the style.

37. Kolsch is my favorite of the lighter ale/lager hybrid styles and fairly easy to brew with success. I think they make a great candidate for New Zealand hops, definitely room to raise the IBU's a bit.

38. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

They're great with the warm weather.. I enjoy them alot.. probably not as much as I should though..

39. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Kolsch, kolsch, kolsch, I love kolsch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...I was just talking to my wife about getting some stange glasses to properly drink it in. I'm a glassware whore like that.

Mediczod likes this.
  40. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

The only good thing about summer beer season imo. Only have 5 bottles left of my raz/black berry kolsch homebrew from last summer, that one is a defiantly pleases a crowd.