1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kolsch yeast for non Kolsch beer?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, May 9, 2012.

1. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I am going to be making two 5 gallon batches of a Kolsch and was wondering what I can use the yeast cake for. I would like to make something other than a kolsch with it. Austin homebrew has a belgian golden ale recipe on sale for 21 bucks and was wondering if that would work...
    Any ideas if not?
    Thanks!

2. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Cream ale or some sort of bazarro Cali Common (suppose that would really just be like an amber kolsch)? I think the Golden Ale would work...

Wyeast has a variety of styles for their Kolsch yeast:
    http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=144

Suppose it's good for wheat beers because of the cloudiness.

3. I believe that Odell uses it as their house strain, meaning that it more than likely ferments their IPAs.

4. I mean, it won't be all belgian like.

I would send you to a german lager or ale recipe, or maybe a baltic porter. I've also had some radical IPAs done with a Kolch yeast.

5. Naugled

Naugled Savant (465) New York Sep 25, 2007

I think it would. I just repitched a Whyeast kolsch from a wheat to a Kolsch to a DIPA. I got attenuations of 77%, 80% and 85%, respectively. I'm not sure whats in the golden ale recipe but these three turned out really well, I'm very happy with them. I fermented the Kolsch at 58F, the others at 66F. You still get some of the fruitiness of the yeast at 58, but it's certainly not overpowering above that. I say go for it.

6. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I did three beers with the Kolsch yeast a couple years back.
    Kolsch--->American Wheat--->IPA
    All beers turned out fantastic, and I will do it again. Yeast did not get in the way of the hops at all IMO.

7. I was thinking about doing a kolsch barley wine. You can pretty much do anything that doesn't need yeast character.

8. Bier De Garde.

9. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

One of local breweries uses a Kolsch yeast as its house yeast.

10. I am assuming that the brewery filters all of their beers?

I have only used Wyeast 2565 to make Kolsch beers. I have always enjoyed my homebrewed Kolsch beers but it has been my consistent experience that my Kolsch beers needed extended conditioning time to ‘clear’. I am using the word clear in single quotes since for me it was more of a ‘clear’ from a taste perspective than a visual perspective. I am not overly concerned about the appearance of my homebrewed beers; if they are a bit cloudy but taste good that is OK with me. I had the let my Kolsch beers ‘sit’ for an additional 1-2 months in the bottle before I enjoyed drinking them.

Below is the description that Wyeast provides for this yeast:

“This strain is a classic, true top cropping yeast strain from a traditional brewery in Cologne, Germany. Beers will exhibit some of the fruity character of an ale, with a clean lager like profile. It produces low or no detectable levels of diacetyl. This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range. This powdery strain results in yeast that remain in suspension post fermentation. It requires filtration or additional settling time to produce bright beers.”
    Edit: Maybe the brewery uses WLP029? I am not aware if that yeast strain has a ‘settling’ issue or not.

11. I followed up my kolsch recipe with basically the same recipe, except I added a significant portion of dehusked caraffa II. Was kinda the illegitimate kid of a stout and a schwartzbier.

12. BigAB

BigAB Aficionado (150) Iowa Aug 4, 2008

Excellent idea. I think I recall Jamil saying that using Kolsch yeast to make American Wheats was not only a great secret weapon for brewing a dynamite beer; but also a perfect way to build up the cell counts for doing a Kolsch after making the Wheat beer!

13. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I brewed 10 gallons of Rauchbier and used 2565 from a friends batch. Worked out quite well. Probably the only time I have been guilty of over pitching!

14. Chisholm

Chisholm Zealot (90) Ohio Dec 18, 2006

I use 029 as my house yeast. It's my favorite for IPA's after trying S05, Pacman, etc. I like how well it attenuates and it really does accentuate the hops. It can leave a bit of a Unibroue-like flavor to my ipa's, but I only taste it because I've brewed so much with this yeast.
    029 finishes in about 3-4 days and drops to about 2.5 Plato (1.010) on my ipas.

15. ^^All this talk of IPAs with kolsch yeast has me scratching my head.... My only expierience with it is WY2565 for a summer session beer taht is still in primary, but the samples I have been pulling suck. I'm getting a pretty "sour" finish from it that I can't immagine working well with hops. When combined with the big dill notes that it has from the Sorachi Ace hops (thats right, look out for the dill if you plan on using these in quantity) the beer is feeling like lost cause at this point.

I was worried that it was a failure, but it sounds like I might just need to wait it out.

16. Chisholm

Chisholm Zealot (90) Ohio Dec 18, 2006

My understanding is that the WY and WL kolsch strains are fairly different. The WY is a powdery strain (Staubhefen) and the WL is "break" yeast (Bruchhefen). I have not used the WY strain. The WL strain sort of curdles when it floccs, it looks a lot like cottage cheese chunks.

Chris White talks about 029 here: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/audio/wlp029.mp3 ; this talk really turned me on to the strain.

I like to ferment it at about 57-60, but I've run it in the mid to high 60s with no problems.

I agree with Chris White, it is a "very fun" yeast.

17. Naugled

Naugled Savant (465) New York Sep 25, 2007

Wait it out and report back. I don't think the Kolsch yeast is giving you the sour note. I would peg that on those goofy Sorachi hops. I've never tried them in high quantities. I'm interested in hearing the results a month or so out.

18. Word up. I'm feeling so antsy with this one.... I wasn't all that stoked on the recipe from the start, and now at the first sign of trouble I want to pull the trigger on it and just funk-it-up. I reckon I'll bottle a few 12oz this weekend and transfer the rest to secondary to free up the yeast and the bucket for a Bier De Garde. If the Bottles show any promise in the next couple weeks package it as is. Otherwise it'll get all kinds of dredges and fruit and shit :mad:

I'll keep you posted.

19. “I'm getting a pretty "sour" finish from it”. I would encourage you to read my previous post. I have only used Wyeast 2565 to brew Kolsch beers (I have brewed several Kolsch beers with this strain). In every batch I had to condition the beer for a long time before I enjoyed drinking the beers. I personally would not describe the taste as “sour” but there was definitely an ‘unpleasant flavor’ from the yeast in the beer when it was ‘young’. Once the beer was properly aged (1-2 months in the bottle) I really enjoyed the Kolsch beers; the yeast was mostly neutral but there was a subtle fruity/winey flavor that I enjoyed.

I always contemplated trying WLP029 for making Kolsch beers but I never did since I really like the fruity/winey flavors that 2565 produced. I must confess that the extra waiting was a bit of a pain in the neck.

As a FYI, according to Mr. Malty WY2565 is from Weihenstephan 165, Köln (Päffgen?) while WLP029 is from PJ Früh, Köln.

Cheers!