Kolsch yeast?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sooners3210, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooners3210

sooners3210 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2006 Texas

I just made a kolsch beer today and pitched the white labs german kolsch yeast. I'm going to ferment at 64, I know that is on the lower end of an ale yeast strain. My beer is at 68 degrees right now, should I leave it at the temp until I get an active fermentation and then lower it back to 64, (I have a chest freezer with a temp regulator on it), or should I just drop it to 64 now and not worry about it for the next week or so?

2. TastyAdventure

TastyAdventure Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Kentucky

Drop it now. Kolsch does best on the lower end

herrburgess likes this.
  3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Always better to get it a couple degrees cooler than you planned ferment temp then let it rise to desired temp. Kopsch will do good a little cooler as it is a hybrid yeast not an ale yeast, and starting higher then dropping down in temp could run the risk of making the yeast sleepy.

pweis909 likes this.
  4. Soneast

Soneast Pooh-Bah (1,635) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

I routinely ferment that strain at 56-58°F. Set it and forget it has always been a good rule of thumb for me when it comes to brewing with kolsch yeast strains. IMO 68° is way too high. 64° is better, but still not ideal. Don't treat it like English yeast.

A little cold will not bother this yeast. My last kolsch I brewed (in January), I set my temp controlled fridge to 58°, Came back 1 week later and noticed that it got a little too cold in my basement and the beer was sitting at 48° and stalled out at 1.020. Warmed it back up to 58°F with a light bulb and she took right off again, and finished out at 1.010.

#4 Soneast, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. ChinaskiDog

ChinaskiDog Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2014 Massachusetts

I have used both WL and WY Kolsch at 60F with great results.

6. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

did you make a starter?
    I've occasionally heard of WLP029 not wanting to go to work until it nears 70F, but in every case so far it has been from someone who direct pitched a single vial of less than extreme freshness in 5g. I have good results pitching a starter at 60-62F and fermenting a little above that. My favorite yeast.

7. tngolfer

tngolfer Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2012 Tennessee

60* here. Set it and forget it.

8. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine
    Deactivated

I just wanted to come in and say hey! I love the Kolsch style beer. I've brewed quite a few of this style. Ferment this at lager temps. do the same as you would a lager. Here's a little link to lagering tips. just do this. http://www.defalcos.com/brewing-information/tips-for-lagering-beer.html

The Kolsch yeast from both White Labs and Wyeast are very flocculant so giving your beer time to sit will clear it up nicely. Fermenting at a lower temp will also give the beer a not so full bodied mouthfeel.

If you ferment at 64, it will still turn out fine, but really you should do this temp for a diacetyl rest after primary fermentation is nearly complete and near FG. If you don't do exactly as your supposed to for a Kolsch type recipe, your beer will still turn out nicely. Your beer will be cloudy and not clear as if you would have lagered it properly.

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

“Ferment this at lager temps.” I personally ferment my lager beers at 50°F. Below are the recommended temperature ranged for WY2565 and WLP029:
    • WY2565: “Temperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)”
    • WLP029: “Optimum Ferment Temp. 65-69°F (Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation.)”
    I would never even contemplate fermenting either of those yeast strains at 50°F. I have always fermented my Kolsch beers using 2565 at around 60-62°F; that temperature creates a clean tasting beer with subtle flavors of white wine.

Cheers!

tngolfer and Soneast like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.