1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kroger Mixed 6

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Nutwood, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

Just came from my neighborhood Kroger grocery. They have added a section of craft/pseudo-craft and import singles, pick six for $8.99. Sam Adams, SN, Leinenkugel's and a few others that are passable for purposes of general refreshment. I walked right by it and my spotter (wife) called me back. Not bad for an impulse buy. +1 Kroger beer merchandising.

2. Craft beer is really catching on. I'll predict that the beer manager at your Kroger is a BA member and talked management into the expansion of the inventory and offering the singles.

3. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

I'm guessing it was done on the distributor's part. as I understand beverage merchandising, the retailer provides the shelf space and it's up to the distributor to maximize profit for both parties.

4. Zaphog

Zaphog Poobah (1,005) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

My local Kroger implemented this in to their beer section also. I believe it was about a month ago when i first noticed it.

5. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

My Kroger has the same setup, with one side of the aisle devoted to craft beers--mostly the big ones--and imports, with a mixed-six section. The beers seem to move quickly.

And yes, I only see distributers working in the aisle; I don't see Kroger employees there.

6. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

Very common depending on the laws in your particular state. Distributors typically provide most, or all, of the labor for merchandising beer in the stores much in the same way the Pepsi employees stock the shelves, the bread company guys all work their own products... it's called Direct Store Delivery and is an industry standard for any product that comes into the store that isn't brought from the retailers own warehouse.

JimDH likes this.
  7. more stores/supermarkets are doing this i was in FL last month and Publix (lakeland,fl based) was doing this with the likes of Terrapin, cigar city ans DFH

8. My local Albertson's/Kroger also has this. Has a pretty nice selection of craft, SN, Deschutes, Odell, Marble, ect.

9. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

It's nice to see. I'm certainly not opposed to accessibility or the growth of craft breweries.

10. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

Not all of the Krogers around me do this, but it's still nice to see them do it here and there. Not that the Krogers close to me have a great craft selection in general, but it sure could be a lot worse!

11. lotsaswigs

lotsaswigs Aficionado (230) Indiana Jan 24, 2006

Ever since our Kroger expanded a year or so ago they've had the same thing, and I'd guess that eventually most of their stores will have this. They actually carry a pretty decent selection in the mixer section as well, most Bell's, some Victory, most Sierra Varieties, New Belgium, Upland, etc...and for 8.99 they usually come in a buck or two under the six packs most of the beers come from.

But the real props I would give my local Kroger is the fact that they regularly have two hearted bottled anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks ago. The oldest is usually around a month...gotta love that!

12. I saw that at Kroger. It's pretty cool, nothing really impressive in the section, but if I ever feel a mixed Sam Adams/Sierra Nevada six pack I can do that. I have mainly seen some sketchy folk picking up singles of Smirnoff ice, but if they're willing to pay 8.99 for a six of something they can get for 7 bucks right next to the singles than there ya go! it's nice to see a chain like Kroger in a town like BG start to do this, baby steps are still steps.

13. drfabulous

drfabulous Savant (260) Kentucky Jul 23, 2005

Kroger seems to be one of the clueless big chains. It dominates Lexington, but does little with craft. Meanwhile, Publix, Whole Foods, and HyVee come to mind as chains that do see craft beer sales as important. Hell, in Missouri, one HyVee where I lived stocked Fantome and Cantillon when it could get it. HyVee is interesting because they didn't homogenize their purchasing. Liquor dept managers were free to order as they liked. That allowed for a nice diversity among the three stores in town.

14. danybrew

danybrew Aficionado (210) Belgium Feb 8, 2010

wow !! what a Fabulous description !! i cannot do more !!!! ;-)

15. Publix in Hermitage / Mt. Juliet do this. Whole Foods as well. I'm not a Kroger fan, but the store in Hermitage has a mixed section from what I saw.

16. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (380) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

Not sure how true it is, but a MS blog posted that Kroger will begin scaling back craft beer selections. Could be just a MS thing or may'be only in stores where it doesn't sell well.