Kuhnhenn BB4D...

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by miketd, Jan 13, 2013.

1. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

...Is back in bottles. My wife was up visiting her aunt, so I did my usual Kuhnhenn visit. BBBW and the 4D are still on tap as well, along with Imperial Creme Brulee.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  2. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (450) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

I got 4 bottles of BB4D and 2 BA Solar Eclipse last Wednesday. I had only intended on getting 2 bottles of BB4D but after a snifter of BBBW I said what the hell and got the $60 six pack.

3. Wade5614

Wade5614 Aficionado (225) Michigan Feb 18, 2012

When did they start selling the BB4D? They said they would post on FB when they had more and never did.

4. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (235) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

sixty dolor six pack lol

5. miketd

If you know anything about Kuhnhenn, it makes perfect sense... ;)

6. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (485) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

Just making us jealous, or sharing the wealth?

7. miketd

I was just letting people know it's available. I only bought 4 bottles, but I would be happy to share one if you're inclined. Just let me know, Cap.

8. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

It's part of their "charm"
    I learned that from my new friends in the Warren area.

pschul4 likes this.
  9. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

You can share one with me anytime. I have an undying love-affair with BB4D.

10. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (485) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I wonder if these bottles actually contain 12 ounces :oops:

11. SteelersX

This years BB4D is f-ing bourbon bomb.
    I was there the day they brewed the batch
    It's a total extract brew.
    But so delicious

12. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (485) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

I will take you up on that at your next tasting.
    Cheers!

13. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I've been really disappointed with this years BA4D, hopefully this new batch is better.

bierenutz and erikkoppin like this.
  14. And they're sold out again. Well they have more but it's not bottled yet.

15. miketd

When I was there yesterday they had a charter bus roll up and a bunch of people were buying six packs. Motor City Beer Tour, it was.

16. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

thats an easy way to sell out of limited beer really fast i suppose...

I'm hoping the days aren't over where I could just go to kuhnhenn and pick up a four pack of bb4d when I (or a trading partner) needed it. I could get used to having BBBW on tap though, anybody know a time table of when BBBW may see its end?

17. elephantrider

elephantrider Savant (275) Michigan Mar 25, 2011

No idea on how long it will last but I had heard they "found" 11 kegs. True? No clue.

18. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

haha no matter how ridiculous 11 kegs of BBBW sounds, I would still believe it if someone from Kuhnhenn said it.

Steimie likes this.
  19. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Not a knock on the OP here, but a statement of fact:

If people continue to post on here every time it is back up for sale, then I assure you those days are over.

20. miketd

The beer is going to sell either way. Kuhnhenn is in a large metro area and is always crowded. Plus, like i said earlier, a tour bus cleaned them out.

I understand your thinking, but these things never can be a secret. Plus, I don't think BB4D, or any beer like it, has ever been available year round. Last year I was there in late Feb or early March and they had some of the less popular stuff available, but only very small quantities of BBBW(I Think BB4D was gone).

I made this post to help people out. Besides, Kuhnhenn was supposed to announce they had it back on Facebook. I'm sure they have a lager audience than I do. ;)

21. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Wolverine in AA definitely has a Lager audience.

Mothergoose03 and MarkIntihar like this.
  22. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

They had some at a bar by my house, 15$ a bottle. I passed on it, thought it over, then went back the next day to buy it anyway. It was all gone. (This was maybe two weeks ago).

:(

23. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Oak? I heard a rumor they got some.

24. Sadly...this is true.

25. Just went on the tour this past weekend...I will never doubt that they just "find" things in that mess. Also, it was probably the dirtiest brewery I've been in, kind of made me go hmmmmm.

steebo777 and JohnB87 like this.
  26. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

End justifies the means man ;) I was lucky enough to stop in there last Sept and all their beer was amazing. Between beer glassware and take homes it ran into the triple digits on my credit card :p

[​IMG]

27. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

yes, it will sell either way, but announcing it makes it go waaay quicker as say just 5 people from here go there pick a bunch up cause it was announced..

I appreciate you bringing it up...Thank you..Unfortunately, I did not go this weekend as I knew the bus tour was going and it would be jammed..Ill get some later when other things come out..hehe

28. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I always wonder about how they see their future. Do they ever plan on hiring a brewery manager and actually getting their shit together, or are they content with being a jumbled-about brewery forever?

I also wonder why they offer to do so many brewery tours when it's like that.

genuinedisciple likes this.
  29. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Yes

syu3003, pschul4 and Knifestyles like this.
  30. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Apparently they have some fairly extensive plans for expansion. You'd think they'd get their shit together a little bit more, but I doubt it. "Good enough" seems to be their motto.

31. miketd

Even though their customer service still sucks, it's a dirty mess in the brewery, and they give off the impression they don't care - they are doing something right. I keep going back and forth between this place and Founders as my favorite brewery in MI... Kuhnhenn pisses me off a lot, but they hit some 600' homers as well.

Steimie likes this.
  32. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Totally agree. I have no doubt I'll be in this week for a BBBW.

33. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

In the same thought process that expansion could make this brewery alot better, without proper oversight and leadership, an expansion could kill a brewery like this. Just something to think about.

JohnB87 likes this.
  34. JohnB87

Exactly why I posed the original question. They have plans to expand, but without changing their practices, things could be bad. In my opinion, they need to hire someone outside of the family to help with organization. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

genuinedisciple and MarcatGSB like this.
  35. SteelersX

This "Beer Advocate" right?

pest likes this.
  36. JohnB87

Not if the members of the now-defunct Secret Black Note Society have anything to do with it.

37. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Yes, it is. I think we have to look at the beer events of the last year, though, to understand things have changed. I know you know that as well as anyone.

There's a reason the Secret Black Note Society thing came to be, right? You don't have to look any further than that. And Bells and Kuhnhenn aren't even in the same league, production-wise.

I'm not advocating secrecy, but I go back and forth about what beer advocacy really is these days.

The fact remains that posting any clamored-for beer on here makes it fly. That's something that can't be denied.

38. SteelersX

Not arguing your points but for the most part, the breweries love the hype their beers get.
    They want to sell as quickly as possible.
    I miss the old days too.

39. My thoughts exactly as I was walking through. Me and my friends abandoned the tour 1/2 way through as we were HIGHLY unimpressed...I'm not sure if it's a compliment to say they make amazing beer at a crappy/dirty facility...but they do.

40. I've never taken the brewery tour, guess I'm not missing much. Had lots of their beer though, haven't had many things that didn't impress me. Also, I'm perfectly fine with them not expanding. I love this place for all it's faults just the way it is.

Bay01 likes this.