1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kuhnhenn Blueberry Eisbock Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Michigan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

According to a reply to a comment on their Facebook page, Blueberry Eisbock will be released February 16. I quote from Facebook:
    So what are your thoughts on this new blueberry brew? Will you bow down to the Kuhnhenn Eisbock God?

2. This sounds increadible! It will probably make the Great Lake Beer Region Top beer list just like Raspberry Eisbock!

3. Michigan

IMO blueberries tend to range in flavor more than most fruits from one specimen to another. Raspberries, however, if grown in the same area, tend to have a more consistent flavor... I wonder how this will play into the final product.

I'll buy it anyway....

4. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (235) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

come on! only 3 weeks away we could not have keep this off the radar?

szmnnl99 likes this.
  5. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

Why?

SpdKilz and Franch like this.
  6. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

yea, how dare someone post something about a beer on a beer website? unthinkable.

Justin_Neff, SpdKilz and Franch like this.
  7. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Haven't had a chance to try the Raspberry one, so hopefully I can bag some of this stuff.

8. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Raspberries >>> Blueberries
    Disappointed to say the least.
    I will trade more than a few blues for 1 red (if anyone has one to spare). ;)

9. They are also making a new batch of Raspberry Eisbock. Just not ready yet. But you'll be able to get some without trading for it.

10. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

FANTASTIC NEWS! Thanks!

11. mike409

check out the thread about the barrel aged abraxas release. Was hoping they would have put it out like a bells silent release.

steebo777 and Spartan213 like this.
  12. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Can you post a link? I don't see it.

13. Knifestyles

Good point. Let's hope that no brewery ever announces another release ever again.

Theeabyss, maximum12 and davey101 like this.
  14. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

I know you were being sarcastic but... that does sound at least like an interesting idea if not a good idea

crushedvol and JohnB87 like this.
  15. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (485) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

We can all do without the snarky comments.

16. Knifestyles

Actually, I wasn't being all that sarcastic. I've recently become used to unannounced releases (Captain Lawrence, NEBCo, etc). I like the way these work, personally.

However, I don't think that's necessarily the way all releases should work, nor do I believe that release information should be withheld in order to mitigate any potential shit-shows that we've become so used to as of late.

Theeabyss, pschul4 and sarcastro like this.
  17. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

If you owned a brewery, would you not want people to know about a new release?? That makes no sense... Don't spazz out, that shit is probably gonna be priced so high you'll only want a couple bottles anyway...

I understand this is Kuhnhenn and they need no help getting exposure, but still, gotta build the hype!

Theeabyss likes this.
  18. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $20 a bottle. We'll see.

I saw Kuhnhenn post last night on FB, and must say I'm tempted by this one even though I have a low tolerance for crowds... especially drunk crowds. Probably be a last minute call.

19. Knifestyles

I was wondering this myself.

Anyone know if they've truly done away with the 187ml bottle format entirely? I know that the meads have switched over, but the last small format beer released was the Tenatious (sic) Cassis that was sold at the 2011 WS.

Assuming they'll now be bottling in the 375ml bottles, I could imagine a potentially higher price tag than usual.

20. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

because only people who follow kuhnhenn on facebook DESERVE blueberry eisbock

21. Michigan

Sorry gang. I'll try to right the wrong I did and buy ALL THE BOTTLES and hoard them in my basement. Would that make everyone feel better? Then I could secretly release them and only tell one person!

Now back to the original question: thoughts on blueberries.

22. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Actually it was posted in the Michigan Beer Guide first. That's how we all found out last month (we being the S.K.R.P.S aka Secret Kuhnhenns Release Party Society).

23. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Do you folks from the greater Detroit area know any spare juggalos that would be interested in a fruitful business proposition?

24. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (530) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

In the words of Albert Einstein:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

25. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Already in line with cash in hand and mules by my side.

26. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Blueberry taste varries alot depending on if they are irrigated. Last year was not a good year in Michigan for regular rain, so hopefully they used irrigated blueberries. Last year was such a bust for Michigan fruit.

Dark Horse uses blueberries and think that's turned out nice.

27. steebo777

I prefer to be called a juggalo, not a mule.

28. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (485) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I need to speak with the Kuhnhenn's about their releases.
    They aren't very friendly to accountants who have to live through Busy season and work on Saturdays.
    You'd think they would be more understanding as one of their cousins works with me.
    <Shakes fist>

Time to post: "Will do Personal 1040 for Eisbock." in the trading forum.

NABS, mbockstruck30, Steimie and 2 others like this.
  29. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I'm sorry I am not up on the cool beer lingo.

30. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I'm also curious about the bottle format: 6 oz vs 375 ml. My guard would be 15 bucks a bottle for the 6 oz, and 20-25 for the 375 ml.

Also, considering the tenacious cassis and desirable mead releases, I'm also expecting a 2 bottle limit or something ridiculously low.

I hope this isn't a free for all like banana French toast last year. That would be terrible.

31. mtrog313

mtrog313 Savant (300) Michigan Feb 28, 2012

I thought I was told that the price last time the raspberry was released was $25 for the 187 ml.

If this is correct, then you add in that it is likely to be be in 375s and their other releases saw about a 15% price increase from last year, you are looking at approximately $57.50 per 375ml bottle. That's not going to happen but $30-35 might not be out of the question.

32. Knifestyles

Incorrect. KRE has traditionally been in the $13 range. I think the most recent release was either the 2010 Winter or Summer Solstice with a limit of 6 at $13/bottle.

33. mtrog313

mtrog313 Savant (300) Michigan Feb 28, 2012

Ok, I guess I got bad info. That still puts it around $30 when you factor in the potential size increase and raise in prices.

34. Seriously? I thought this was vetoed at last weeks meeting and we were going with A.M.W.A.Y. (All for Michigan Why Alert You)?

Hmmm shit copyright issues? Ah well, we can talk about this at the next meeting.

iceatalamo and steebo777 like this.
  35. mike409

bells seems to be doing just fine not advertising there releases.

36. steebo777

100% agree

Czar_chasm and tommyz like this.
  37. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

I'm not sure how Bell's relates to this but you do make a valid point. You also have to remember that Bell's started out in the mid 80s so I would say they are far more established as a brewery compared to Kuhnhenn, plus they produce at a much higher level. I am not sure about the history of Kuhnhenn so I cannot comment on why they would want to advertise a release. All I was saying is I can't blame them for trying to expose a new beer, even at a whopping 3 weeks before the release.

38. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

They thought of you... their last release (Winter Solstace) was on a Friday....

39. mike409

it relates to bells because they do there releases silently. beer just shows up at general store. also kuhnhenn has been open since 1994 i believe sooooo they are doing fine also

40. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

If anyone happens upon an extra, I got what you need for it!