1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kuhnhenn Blueberry Eisbock Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Michigan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Look on the bright side, if you don't like it you dont have to buy them and you can choose from the oodles of other Blueberry and Raspberry Eisbocks available year-round.

Oh...wait :(
  2. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Blueberry is damn good! Still like Raspberry better though. Mich Mud is my juice too!
    benjaminahudson likes this.
  3. I also liked Bourben Barrel Banana French Toast Mead

[​IMG]
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ask Ford how they feel about MDOT and their salt use...Ever see a mid 90's Ford Aerostar that ISN'T rusted out?
    MichiBrew likes this.
  5. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

Hats off to kuhnhenn to a solid release! Service was great and the whole thing was pretty organized. Good seeing some familiar faces and wish I could have stayed longer. Never thought I'd be so content with giving my money away like that but hey, it goes to a greater cause.
    Czar_chasm, szmnnl99 and Andygirl like this.
  6. Amazing to see both of these on a tap list ... Blueberry took a tad lead for me ...

[​IMG]
  7. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (355) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

Bummer that I missed you down here Mike! Next time!!!
    Zaphog likes this.
  8. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

man, had both Blueberry and Raspberry Eisbock..Both were unbelievable! I do gotta say, I like the blueberry better as the blueberry stood out more than the raspberry imo..Both are great,great beers..Im glad I got both in bottles..
    Andygirl likes this.
  9. Right, there's about 1000 barrel aged beers for every eisbock.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Aficionado (145) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

Is Kuhnhenn open till 2?
  11. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

They should be.
  12. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

13. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Savant (250) Indiana Feb 8, 2009

Was there about 7pm and there were still a few cases of RE left (they started with more, per my earlier post).
  14. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

Had a nice time today at Kuhnhenn's. Was an uncommonly pleasant Michigan February morning, and was among good company with the early arriving line folk. Was nice of Mr. K to let us into the brewery ahead of the opening time. I didn't care much for the barleywine on tap, but thought the bberry was very tasty - though half a glass was enough to satisfy me.
  15. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Pricey? In my opinion, these bottles are in the category of nearly unprecented ridiculousness.

I was assuming the drafts would be fairly reasonable. If you actually read through the thread you may have noticed that I was informed that the drafts were $15. So much for the whole labor, bottle materials, etc., etc. explanation. It's brewed and then kegged--and then customers are charged the same price as the bottled brews. Frankly, I doubt I'd pay it for the drafts either. I'd love to try these brews, but not at that price.

Honestly, guys I can give a crap how you spend your money. It's your choice. However, I'm not plunking down $30 for a 12.7 oz. bottle. Go ahead, buy a whole case of 12.7 oz. bottles at that price if you're able and willing. I'm not. It doesn't change my opinion of Kuhnhenn (love their brews), and I don't have an opinion one way or another of anybody who did or didn't purchase bottles.

It's my opinion, and I'm not likely to change it. If you don't agree, then that's your opinion.

Cheers, it's all good...
    maximum12 likes this.
  16. Bryan

Just got home from having both pours. I like the blueberry a lot and the raspberry was a bit harsh. I'm glad I sampled both and didn't get the bottles. Would I pay it again? Doubtful. Then again, the gf picked up the tab this time so perhaps I would.

Still had raspberry bottles as of midnight
  17. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Who else had the Blueberry on tap? Was it fucking thick and sludgy like yogurt? Mine was, and it was delicious, although I've seen other pictures where the Blueberry Eisbock is more translucent and not as blue (looks more like the raspberry one, slightly darker) ....any idea what gives?
  18. Bryan

It wasn't thick at all. Had a slightly reddish tint and looked like the raspberry when side by side
  19. tectactoe

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of mine. Sorry for the poor quality. But it was like a dark-grey color with a purple/blue tint to it, completely opaque and thick like melty yogurt. Like I said, delicious as could be, and the texture was super thick and creamy. But something about it seemed unlikely.

Why this difference in appearance / body I wonder?
  20. Bryan

I took a pic of mine and would post the side by side but I'm on my iPhone right now. Mine definitely did not have as much lacing on the glass as yours. Both had a thick mouthfeel, but not the consistency of a yogurt.
  21. tectactoe

Well, I'm slightly exaggerating when I say yogurt - but it was, without question, the thickest beer I've ever had. For an actual reference, it was a little thicker than Vitamin D milk. But the grey/purple/blue color and complete opaqueness made it look like melted Go-Gurt.
  22. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

We'll def meet up next time.
  23. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

No worries man, I read your posts but still don't get the logic of your argument. I understand your opinion, and it's all yours to own, but what do you really know about Kuhnhenns? Did you ever buy a bottle of Raspberry Eisbock '07? I take it you never did or would for all the reasons you've outlined above because those little 6 oz. bottles cost $13 at the brewery (and more in stores), and I believe when it was on tap way back when the 6 oz. pours were the same price. But it was still a "top want" of many and is still highly sought after.

Now, fast forward about 6 years and look at the pricing of these 2 releases sold in bottles twice the size and the pricing actually makes some sense. Don't get me wrong, it is very pricey and I'm sure a lot of people share to one degree or another your opinion on the pricing and chose not to buy. But if they had put these in the small bottles as they intended all along, I'm sure the price would've been in line at $14 or $15 and sold with higher limits creating more interest and attendance with the same result of selling out that day. Raspberry Eisbock was ready for bottling back before the Winter Solstice and had been advertised as one of the beers to buy, but their inability to find a domestic manufacturer for the small bottles to meet their needs caused it not happen then. The oversees manufacturer they contacted wanted $1.25/bottle which would have driven the final cost up even higher. The Blueberry apparently became ready and understandably they wanted to get these bottled and to their long awaiting beer fans (which you admit to being one), so they then changed gears and "settled" on these larger bottles which necessarily doubled the volume and therefore the price. Obviously, you disagree with the pricing strategy but given the history it should have been expected. I actually think, and others would agree, that not a whole lot of strategizing goes on at Kuhnhenns.

As for your comments about the tap prices at $15/6 oz. pour, again I ask what you know about their tap pricing? Have you actually gone to Kuhnhenns? If so, you know that their tap prices are all higher than the bottle prices on a cost/oz. basis particularly 2 other favorites, BA4D and BBBW. Sure it'd have been nice if those 6 oz. pours were $10-$12, but then why buy the bottles at all. This pricing strategy (and I hesitate to even use this word with them) is consistent with the pricing of their other beers in relation to bottle pricing at the brewery, or any other brewery for that matter. In fact, I don't recall the tap prices at FFF on DLD being very kind to my wallet these past several years either :confused:.

In the end, though, as you said...it's all good. Those that wanted and were willing to pay these prices, like me, did and got. Those that didn't, like you, didn't. We both have our opinions, but respectfully, I have my opinion and the beer :D.

Cheers to all that enjoyed or will enjoy these fine brews!
  24. bierenutz

When did you get your pour? I'm thinking yours was near the bottom of that particular barrel. I was lucky enough to get the last glass of BA4D a couple years back and it was cloudy and thick...oh yeah, and freakin' ridiculously good :p.
  25. Andygirl

Mine was thicker than beer, and a deep purple with red only when you held it to the window.
  26. MarcatGSB

Blueberry push pop. Yum.
  27. tommyz

I wonder if the thickness that some got was because the line ended up freezing up...There was a time when the blueberry was not being sold because of this...I was getting ready to leave and asked if it was back on and it was..Mine was not thick at all
  28. NikkoE82

NikkoE82 Aficionado (225) Indiana Jan 1, 2012

*snicker*
  29. tommyz

lol... a TWSS would be more appropriate..(thats what she said) lol...
    Czar_chasm likes this.
  30. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

The blueberry on draft was much thicker but also seemed more carbonated than the blueberry in the bottle which I opened with some friends last night. Out of the bottle the beer had almost no head and was much clearer (still quite thick, relatively speaking). Each had the same flavor profile but definitely different consistency.
  31. tommyz

The beer I got last night after they were able to get it back on line had no head and was clear..
  32. My pour was pretty thick, and tasted great.
  33. MarcatGSB

This shit is trading for Walez, bro. Wow.
    BRZvice likes this.
  34. tommyz

Being a total Noob and not having completed a trade HERE on the site, I would have expected it too..Maybe that is my ignorance, I dont know..But an Amazing beer being very,very limited would suggest that to me..
  35. Andygirl

Did anyone else notice all the bottles have 2012 dates on the label?
  36. bierenutz

Maybe this proves my point that these were intended to be sold at the Winter Solstice albeit in a different format o_O
  37. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Some walez. Still lookin for the elusive DDG...
    bierenutz likes this.
  38. mtrog313

mtrog313 Savant (300) Michigan Feb 28, 2012

So they said that the blueberry was basically a loss for them. Never know with them but sounds like it will never be brewed again. One off of a famous beer, 240 bottle count and even the draft kicked in a few hours? Those walez it's going for now will be nothing compared to a few years down the road.
  39. tommyz

They had the Blueberry still going strong last night when I was there..Also, if it was a loss, how was the KRE not loss too? I kind of question that..Unless it was maybe the bottles they had to put it in?
  40. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Because not all fruit costs the same.
    Steimie and Bay01 like this.