1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kuhnhenn Blueberry Eisbock Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Michigan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Have you ever picked fresh berries? (serious question) the amount of work it takes to yeild 20 lbs of BB is 10x the work of picking 20 lbs of Raspberries.

CarolinaKevin likes this.
  2. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I grow raspberries in my back yard...I Go upnorth,kalkaska, and pick blueberries so my grandmother can make blueberry pie..So yeah, I do...I dont find it to be that more intensive labor..

With that said, no clue on the cost this year or how the crops changed...Both raspberries and blueberries were not very vibrant last year, so...

3. tommyz

Anyway..If that is true that they probably wont make it again, im glad I got to have it..I liked it more than raspberry, which was also great..Just happy I got to try it and have a bottle of it...And im happy to have some KRE as well..Will probably trade one of those though..

4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

The blueberry crop sucked last year, but so did all the fruit crops.

5. tommyz

My raspberry bush sucked..It was basically bird feed last year..lol..Got a little bit out of it, but it was the worst in the last 5 years..

6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Blueberry crop was extremely strong last year, yields were way up. They grow alot like grapes, the more stress, the more they produce.

7. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (415) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

This is a copy and paste from their FB page about the price and bottle issue:

8. Andygirl

It wasn't good to eat though, not in the area our farm is in (Ludington). If you wanted dried fruit, it was available on the bush. If you weren't irrigating, it was nasty. Blackberries, gooseberries, and blueberries, all yucky.

9. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Blueberry kicked while we were there a couple hours ago. We were told that's it. It was fucking delicious.

10. tommyz

Glad most of us that were wanting to have this, got the chance to atleast taste it...Do wish there was more of the KBE, selfishly, but both were Amazing...Its gonna be hard to sit on my 1 bottle of the blueberry..lol

11. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I got a pout of Raspberry first and it blew my freakin mind. The guy next to me got the 3rd pour of Blueberry off the bar and it had a THICK frothy head (that sounds weird) and looked like this
    [​IMG]

I got the blueberry about an hour later and it wasn't as thick but still considerably thicker than the raspberry. The raspberry had a beautiful candy apple deep crimson around the edges of the glass and looked more like this
    [​IMG]

Both wonderful but I was more partial to the raspberry

szmnnl99 likes this.
  12. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

The blueberry juice was not from local MI commercially grown blueberries, but wild blueberries (from Oregon). As someone who's picked wild blueberries before, harvesting those are a magnitude more difficult. Though that does explain why the flavor is so intense.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  13. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

The blueberry used in the eisbock was a wild blueberry juice concentrate. 70# of blueberries in 1 gallon of concentrate.

14. Andygirl

No way would I pick wild blueberries. Tiny and bears love them. Thimbleberry eisbock would be cool.

adamdd and MarcatGSB like this.
  15. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Wow, that would certainly explain the high production cost. Good thing for us that the Kuhnhenn's are great brewers but terrible business people.

Michigan likes this.
  16. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

Eric told us they got it from Maine because the original ones they ordered from Nova Scotia did not come through.

Not that it is important, I am sure you heard this from a reliable source, as well. It is just funny that there seems to be no such thing as a reliable source with Kuhnhenn! :)

17. Andygirl

Wherever they came from, they were good.

tommyz and Romulux like this.
  18. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

Just finished a grand cru of raspberry and blueberry. ;) Interesting experiment for sure but rather have them separate. Cheers!

steebo777 and szmnnl99 like this.
  19. Andygirl

I had some blueberry in mud, it was good.

20. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Well you have 10 more bottles of each so you will get to try them many more times sir.:p

steebo777 and bierenutz like this.
  21. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

You know me so well my friend ;)

semibaked likes this.
  22. Anybody looking for some MN stuff that wants to trade off some eisbock?

23. Blueberry is still on tap and tasting great!

dblab33 likes this.
  24. Home of the greatest Blueberries in the world.

But in all seriousness: Commercial Blueberries are raked and definitely not picked by hand. That's a cute notion though.

25. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (345) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Hmmm... it went off around 3:00 when I was there and supposedly "that was it"...

Glad to know it is back on, I would like another pour...

bierenutz likes this.
  26. tommyz

I wonder if the Line froze again..They had that problem saturday and had to take it off for a bit..Then put it back on...Very well could be why the thickness of this varied too...

27. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Yah, I got pours on Saturday just after they started poring them and the raspberry and blueberry looked to be almost the same consistency. Was there yesterday around 1:30 and the blueberry had the same consistency it did when I had it on Saturday. I sure hope the flavor was the same because it was amazing.

tommyz likes this.
  28. surlytheduff

You're probably right, Maine makes more sense. Most likely some form of Portland OR/Portland ME confusion.

29. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Any knowledge of bottle availability today for Mud and Gold Rush?
    Couldn't make it out on the weekend but will pop in today if they have something I can take home.

Can someone confirm whether or not there are pours left of the eisbocks? I didn't think so, but some posts are confusing me (not hard to do).:confused:

30. surlytheduff

As of last night, both were still on tap. I'm sure they have plenty of mud and the barley wine still.

I'd try a half pour of the barley wine before dropping 9 bucks on a bottle.

steebo777 likes this.
  31. Andygirl

Did you not like it? It tasted like a Scotch Ale to me, but I liked it.

32. I heard the Gold rush is getting a bourbon barrel treatment....anyone have anymore info on that?

33. elephantrider

elephantrider Savant (265) Michigan Mar 25, 2011

Sipping raspberry eisbock right now. Not on the board but its still pouring. Blueberry is on the board. Bottles of mud and fgbw still around.

FEUO likes this.
  34. surlytheduff

No, I didn't like it - I found the finish/aftertaste unpleasant, and the initial taste just allright.

Plus, it runs the same prices as a bottle of BB 4D (same goes for Mud), which is a bit ridic.

35. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

This. Absolutely ridiculous prices for bottles that shouldn't be anywhere near that price.

Tony412 likes this.
  36. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

OR! they pulled one over on everybody that bought this stuff and made it with regular old grape juice. Which would make them awesome buisness people because they got people to buy a $30 bottle of beer!

37. FEUO

Big thanks.
    I'll be there soon enough. Damn work.

38. FEUO

Its now Wednesday, any word on whats pouring?
    I was in Monday aft and was able to have a pour of KRE and KBE as well as score a bottle of KRE. They only had 1 1/2 cases left (approx 18 bottles). Definitely surprised they still had some. Maybe some late waxxing?

39. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I went in first thing yesterday morning. At least one of them was still on the board as available for pours. Can't remember which one. I was told bottles were gone. I even asked a second person and was told the same thing.

40. tommyz

wish I could get another bottle of blueberry..

NikkoE82, Marti403, Tony412 and 2 others like this.