1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kuhnhenn brewing, what to get and where?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Flabbyjandro, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (450) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

I'm headed to Canton MI on Tuesday and Wednesday for work and wanted to get out to Kuhnhenn for hopefully a beer or two on tap and ideally for some bottles to bring home. Any suggestions on if the brewpub will have quality beers to go or if I'm better off trying to hit some local stores?

I have never had their beer, just have two BA 4D in the cellar from trades so open to any suggestions of what to seek out or what they are known for. Especially what's realistically going to be around that wasn't a KBS type release.

Appreciate the love BA!
  2. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Was there Thursday. KRE still on tap. I really enjoy DRIPA and always have a glass when it's available.
  3. mrebeka

mrebeka Savant (380) Michigan Dec 13, 2009

Agree with the above. Get a glass of DRIPA and a growler to go. The stuff is flat out amazing!
    tectactoe likes this.
  4. DRIPA - that beer has rice in it, can't be any good. <sarcasm for those that hate adjuncts>
  5. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Creme Brulee Java Stout is usually on tap and is great. Fluffer is one of my favorite session IPA's. As stated above, get some KRE if they are still pouring it. You owe it to yourself to try that, at any price.
  6. Flabbyjandro

KRE sounds like the first glass if it's on. Any beers to go in bottles I should not leave without?
  7. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

I'd say leave with everything. they're so small and have such limited distribution that anything you don't really dig you'll be able to swap to someone who does.
  8. It's a crap shoot to find any Kuhnhenn stuff in local stores so take your choice of whatever they might have bottled at the pub.
  9. Beerlistman

Beerlistman Savant (255) Illinois Jul 9, 2009

If you don't grab DRIPA on draft, you should be never allowed to visit this site ever again.
  10. Wine Village at 13 and Hayes in Warren usually has some single bottles on their shelves. As I say anytime I mention them they were my go-to store but their prices are very high and the stock tends to be on the old side. Still might be worth checking, or at least calling to see what they have in stock.
  11. What you need to do is ask what they have in bottles then buy at least one of everything. If you don't you may never see it again. BTW KRE is 18% so maybe eat before you go there as they don't serve food.
  12. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

They most definitely serve food there. Just not much.
  13. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

KRE is 15.5%...I agree with buy any bottle they have..And if you dont have a glass of DRIPA, you should be banned from this site...lol
  14. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Agree with DRIPA. If you buy one of everything, be prepared to spend some $$ because they had quite a few bottles still including 2011 4D, A few Shillings To many, gold rush barleywine and others.
  15. They still had some bottles from the winter solstice party in December lying around last week. They also have KRE in bottles still...that's is a must buy (but$30 a bottle). You should pick up a few of their meads too. They released one mead a day every day in march. They have said the BB French toast mead is gone, but you should ask...they always tend to "find" more. Also, if one person says they don't have something, ask someone else...
  16. This is true. Nice enough people there but not all together that organized. I have asked for things and was told they were "out" only to watch someone at the bar be handed the same bottles I just asked for.
  17. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I was just there and had DRIP and enjoyed it so much I had another and then brought back a growler. Simcoe Silly and Creme Brule were also very good. I bought bottles of Simcoe Sillier and Nine to go.
  18. Flabbyjandro

Ok, so try DRIPA or my membership here is banned, check. And buy everything in glass, double check. Easy enough list to follow, im in. Appreciate the love!
  19. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (285) New York May 24, 2012

We were just there on Wednesday....Kapt'n Krunchberries was really good, it tasted just like the cereal. There meads are all outstanding and all the ones from March Meadness that we tasted were all excellent. I also agree with the DRIPA
  20. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

Love Kuhnhenn's! Like others (everyone) said DRIPA for sure, and I agree with the Creme Brulee Stout suggestion. The White Devil is pretty tasty, too. I would suggest just getting a flight, and then a couple other beers on the side. (They don't do KRE in flights, though.) They also have a killer selection of mead and wine, if you are into that. The first time I went, I had a glass of the Chocolate Raspberry Port after a few beers, and ended up going home w/ 3 bottles. So if you like wine along with your beer, I'd try a glass or two!
  21. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I would say DRIPA, but everyone's already said it. If they still have the Grapefruit Wit, that's pretty damn good, too. Might as well try the KRE while you're there - you may never get another chance!
  22. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Forget about finding Kuhnhenn bottles at a beer store...rarely avail and usually only 4D if anything...gotta goto the source...
  23. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I know a couple of places where I've seen 9 and I believe Braggot fairly regularly.
  24. Flabbyjandro

You guys rock, got a growler if dripa, growler of strawberry drop panties for the wife...I mean I'd be a fucking idiot not too, some 4D and a little port to go. Overall 5/5 experience and an awesome way to start a business trip!
    tommyz likes this.
  25. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Business trips are the best kind! ;)
  26. I'm looking for a bottle of regular 4D. Was at Kuhnhenn's today and they were out. Asked 2 people. What stores could I find one? Closer to Ann Arbor the better if that exists.