1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by liamt07, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Thought I'd go ahead and start a thread on this, as it's ~3 weeks away. Really looking forward to this, as it's my first time heading over there for one of their Solstice events. Also highly anticipating the bottle releases (beer and mead alike).

Let's use this thread to discuss news updates, too see who's going, related beer/mead release talk and tips for others who may perhaps be heading down there for the first time (and or anything else remotely pertinent to this event). Looking forward to seeing y'all there!
  2. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (450) Utah Jul 12, 2012

When do they start the bottle sales?
  3. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

11am. I really really hope they use the system they used last year for it. Definitely a solid way to handle it.
    mrebeka, kkulacki and iceatalamo like this.
  4. I'll be there with bells on. Have they released an official bottle list yet?
  5. I'll be going. How did they work the bottle sales last year?
  6. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I am a bit worried about this event! Will they or will they not have BBBW bottles for sale? It currently is not listed on the event poster.
  7. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Illinois Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

I think this may be the first time since 2008 that I won't be able to make it. Hopefully nothing is super-limited this year.
  8. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

I'm most likely not gonna be there, but somehow I've managed to still retain some stock from last year. Drinking a 2011 BA4D right now, still very good!
  9. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (505) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

They gave out numbered order forms when you arrived. Mark the quantities you want next to each beer, turn it in and they call your number when the order is ready for purchase. No waiting in line, just sit and enjoy the taps until your number is called.

Last year, you could arrive well after open and still get bottles, no problem.
  10. steebo777

One of the smoothest run releases from last year. Something I thought I'd never say about Kuhnhenns.
    RyanMM likes this.
  11. Any idea if the KRE will be limited and to how may bottles you think? Given price point, do these bottles instantly sell through or is it relatively easy to snag during the event and after? Thanks. Just going off years ago when these bottles were pretty regularly available for an extended period of time at the brewery.
  12. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Aficionado (135) Ohio May 30, 2008

Does any one know the approximate prices on the 4D, BB4D, and BBBW (if they have it) based on previous years?
  13. Last year each was $7 - 12oz bottle. The year before BB4D was $10/bottle.
  14. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Aficionado (135) Ohio May 30, 2008

Thanks for the info.
  15. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I remember the good ol' days when you could get it almost year round. Those days are over. The craft beer scene has changed and there are a lot more people willing to spend the money they charge. Depending on how much they release and limits, I bet it isnt hard to get during the event. I wouldnt bank on being able to get it for that long after that.
  16. Interestingly enough, I was able to buy some 4D and BB4D earlier this year (late May) that was leftover from last year's solstice. I'm sure a few of the bottle releases will be in good supply.

Does anyone know if there have been bottle limits placed on any of the meads (or any of the bottles for that matter) in previous years?
  17. Most will have a bottle limit.
  18. monitorpop

The cost per bottle makes most people self impose a limit. Last year, Kuhnhenn had no limit on all bottles except for the two 6oz bottles and it took a good amount of time before anything completely sold-out. My friend arrived hours after open and got all the bottles he wanted.

Here are last years prices and limits:

Dark Heathen Triple Bock $7.00
    Fourth Dementia Olde Ale $7.00
    Winter Wonder lager $7.00
    Vintage Ale $7.00
    Cherry Olde Brune $7.00
    Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine $7.00
    Bourbon Barrel Aged Fourth Dementia $7.00
    Metry’s Winter Lager $5.00
    Tenacious Cassis (1- 6oz bottle per person) $13.00
    Duvil in Ms. Jones $6.00
    Nine $6.00
    Extraneous Ale $7.00
    Prometheus $6.00
    Braggot $10.00
    Dark Heathen Braggot $10.00
    Chocolate Pumpkin Braggot $10.00
    Pumpkin Braggot $10.00
    Bourbon Barrel Sack Mead 6oz $12 (2 bottles per person)
  19. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Won't. Brett forgot to brew it.
  20. Seriously? How disorganized are they that you just forget to brew one of their most sought after brews? Wow.
    raymo55 likes this.
  21. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

I don't think he actually forgot. Perhaps Spike is just having some difficulty recalling the discussion we had with Bret at a recent tap takeover in NYC, but he basically said that it was simply put into the barrels later than planned.
  22. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Very. Being comically unorganized is a hallmark of Kuhnhenn, but they also put out amazing beers and do so with a sense of fun and expirimentation. For me, this adds to their charm - they are the antithesis of smooth corporate banality and are unprofessional in the best possible sense.
  23. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I guess the question is since they got them into barrels later than required, when WILL it be ready and available? ;)
    raymo55 likes this.
  24. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

Snarky asshole answer: It'll be ready when it's ready.

Helpful nice guy answer: Hopefully by Summer Solstice.
    kkulacki and camil1mj like this.
  25. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Thank you, Mr. Helpful Asshole. :p
    jbck109 and Steimie like this.

26. Equally snarky asshole answer: Ahhhh, nothing like a good 15% Bourbon Barrel Barley Wine in the middle of the summer. I know it is my drink of choice after spending the day in the yard.
  27. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

That's snarky? Shit... I must be doing something wrong.

BB4D and BBBW are my lawnmower beers.
  28. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (460) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Hopefully they just do a silent release like Bells does. It won't happen but I can still hope.
    elephantrider likes this.
  29. emdawg

emdawg Aficionado (225) New York Jun 29, 2011

Gentlemen, I believe he said "I shit the bed on that one."
  30. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

Hypothetical - If I were to arrive between 3-4 p.m. on that Friday, would I have a problem snagging 4D and BBA4D?

cheers!
  31. monitorpop

I would be amazed if you had any trouble with those. You could still buy those the next day and beyond last year.
    biga7346 likes this.
  32. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (460) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

You could buy both for weeks afterwards so you should definitely be fine.
  33. steebo777

I know what you will find at 3-4pm there: A drunk version of me. I've heard I'm more fun that way though, so it's a win-win situation for ya.
    sliverX, RyanMM and fishtremble like this.
  34. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

By weeks he means all the way in to summer. There was a fucking TON.
  35. I will be there and likely hammered as well, sir!
  36. steebo777

All hail... WASSAIL!!!
  37. To give you an idea - I bought bottles of both of these (from last years release) at the brewpub this past May, almost 6 months after their release. You'll be fine.
    biga7346 and MarkIntihar like this.
  38. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Anybody have insight on Raspberry Eisbock bottle count?
  39. biga7346

biga7346 Savant (255) Michigan Jun 19, 2010

Lovely. Thanks!