1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Cumbre Elevated IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ssteigerwald, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

I saw news around GABF that La Cumbre was looking to bring Elevated IPA to Colorado soon. Anyone have insight on the status? I passed up a recent BeerJobber sale on the stuff holding out to buy it locally.
  2. erway

erway Member

La Cumbre is actively looking for appropriate distribution in CO and will be available there as soon as we can be. We'd rather wait a few months and make sure that we can get there with a distro that will ensure a fresh refrigerated product.
  3. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Member

when did they start bottling?
  4. pjeagles

pjeagles Member

No bottles, just 16 oz. cans of the Elevated IPA from them thus far. They started canning in June of this year. We are lucky here in Albuquerque to always have access to fresh cans of this while the clueless distributors keep pushing old IPAs into area stores.
  5. joshclauss

joshclauss Member

That's the most G response to this question you could have given. Bravo and fuck yeah.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  6. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Member

Thanks for the response and looking forward to trying your stuff. I'll be patient.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Member

Very cool. La Cumbre was a big surprise for me at the GABF 2 years ago. A friend of mine was pouring for them and swore they had some of the best stuff at the show. I was (of course) a skeptic having never heard of them and with 1000 breweries in the building, but I'll be damned if he wasn't right.
  8. blindpiggie

blindpiggie Member

Elevated is one of my favorite IPAs. I grabbed a growler going through Abq. earlier this year and drank the whole thing that night, lukewarm, out of a plastic cup at our hotel. It was amazing! Can't wait to see it in CO.
  9. bfields4

bfields4 Member

Awesome news. My roommate brought back a few when he was in the area visiting. Can't wait to bring home a few of these guys!
  10. MileHighShooter

MileHighShooter Member

Maybe look into who Firestone Walker and Russian River use for distro in Colorado?
  11. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Member

I'd pass on RR's distributor. I was at Mile High in july when they were unpacking Pliny, and it was warm (maybe 85ish). I'll never get it again in the summer time.
  12. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Member

Get pumped for this one! A friend from Albuquerque just brought me some. This one is very reminiscient of some West Coast IPAs (Alpine and Societe in the San Diego area specifically) I got to try recently. The cans I got were about 6-7 weeks old so not sure if its in the right drinking window, but it has one of the better aromatics nose-wise (pine and resin). Manages to be super smooth despite the hoppy nose. Didn't get any bitterness on the tongue. Between La Cumbre and Marble, Albuquerque is making some serious big-time brews.
  13. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Member

Just got two fresh (12/3) four packs in the mail this week, it's rad. I'd buy this on the reg if it was available fresh locally.
  14. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Member

I'm not one who worries too much about bottle date with IPAs but this one was certainly better fresh. I did a side-by-side with two, one 10 days and one 7-8 weeks old and you could taste the difference. It was still enjoyable but there was a bit of a let down on the hops in the older one.
  15. erway

erway Member

This is something that I have discussed with a ton of brewers and it's interesting what some have done in the interest of getting max impact into their IPAs for the long term. One brewer that I know who is putting out an excellent IPA that does actually age somewhat well is simply using a hop back instead of dry-hopping much at all. It means their IPA never has what ours does fresh, but months down the line, WAY more. There's the Sierra Nevada approach of simply making a great beer that does not rely on big hop aroma but instead leans on balance, drinkability and an astoundingly high level of QA/QC. Stone's approach with their enjoy by is awesome, but could only be attempted by such a large brewery.

So what do we as small brewers do? You can keep your dissolved oxygen to a minimum, you can require your distributor to keep your beer cold (cold is key to hanging on to hop aroma) you can encourage everyone who buys it to drink ASAP (thank Vinnie C. for starting that trend), but at the end of the day, hop aroma is what IPA lovers want and dry hop aromas are by far the most volatile aromatic in beer. So I'll continue to see that drinkers like our beer on draft better, and that's ok. IPAs like elevated are better fresh, period. Canning or bottling a beer will not make it better, as a brewer you can only do your damndest to not mess it up. And the freshest Elevated you can get is at the brewery on tap.

We have done side by sides with fresh cans (literally canned that day) and the same batch on tap and notice absolutely no difference. 1 week old, nothing. By 2 weeks in the can all of us start noticing a drop in hop aroma. But 2 months out the beer still is bitter with an aroma that becomes increasingly tangerine-like. The cans that we have from June are still tasting nice, though a shadow of what we have on tap. The aroma is completely gone in the torture tested beers from that time and is lightly present in the samples that have been kept cold. At the end of the day, we're simply happy that only 5 months after canning we can pretty well guarantee that the beer we're sending out will not be severely "off" any time soon.

We will be looking at a 30 bbl brewhouse in the next few years and a hop back will be part of that. Until then, we'll keep on using an obscene amount of hops (including dry-hops), throwing in the varieties that we know will get us to where we want to be, get it into the can the best way we know how, and keep our fingers crossed that all of the people that purchase it will get it as fresh as possible.
    ssteigerwald, denver10 and ucsbmullet like this.
  16. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Member

Appreciate the insight. Now I have a little bit better understanding of the QA process and testing you go through. I also would expect IPAs to taste better on tap. Obviously having to purchase it close to the source and get it to Denver it wasn't in ideal conditions. I wasn't doing the side-by-side to test anything. I just happen to have them both cold in the fridge. Like I pointed out, I still enjoyed it and I look forward to being able to purchase it locally.
  17. MinorThreat

MinorThreat Member

Very happy to hear this! I was in ABQ over Thanksgiving and was blown away with Elevated IPA. I have kicked a few cans in as extras in trades and the response has been overwhelmingly great. I will 100% put it on draught at my pubs if it is available in in the Denver market. Side note.... CR Goodman has some of the best beer loving reps in Denver. From a sales perspective they kill it though I cannot speak to they way they store/handle at their warehouse.
  18. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Member

A friend brought a growler back from ABQ, loved this IPA!!