1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

La Folie

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kmello69, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (610) Texas Nov 27, 2011

According to New Belgium, La Folie and Transatlantique Kriek are being released tomorrow, and should be hitting some stores next week.

[​IMG]

No sign of label approval on TABC yet, but last year La Folie was approved the first week of February, so I imagine it should be very soon. Dont know if we'll get the Kriek.

So, figured I'd start a thread so we can start stressing about finding this one too. :)

fragilehearted likes this.
  2. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

Nice! I had La Folie a couple weeks ago at Hay Merchant and loved it. Can't wait to grab a bottle.

3. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

MMMmmmmm a Kriek... Sounds yummy

icetrauma likes this.
  4. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I love La Folie, but their Kriek is horrid, and in no way similar to a Lambic. Closer to SA Craneberry Lambic (shudders). Are we really starting a hype thread for La Folie, this stuff is very easy to find.

wagenvolks and bentwookie like this.
  5. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

You have made me sad... :oops: I was hoping that it would of been delicious!

Just saw the reviews on it... Pity

6. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

There has been only one batch of that Kriek, so who knows batch 2 could be everything the first one wasn't

7. agreed. Lauren's taste buds (and blending skills) just keep getting better too, so I'm guessing it is going to be much better.

8. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

These are hit or miss, are they bringing Super IPA back ?

9. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (845) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Had La Folie some weeks back on tap. I haven't had enough of this style to make any staunch comparisons, but I thought it was pretty good.

10. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (615) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I love La Folie... We got a private tour of the barrel room last June... Got to try La Folie right from the barrel. Awesome stuff...

[​IMG]

FUNKPhD and bentwookie like this.
  11. kmello69

Hey, I've seen that picture before! You showed it to me while we finished the dregs of the C&C La Folie at the JK party. Man, I would have just shoved my face under there and let 'er rip. :confused:

12. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (615) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Yeah, that's the one beer I'm sad I missed that day. I got the last drop or two out of the bottle. Lol

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (475) Texas Mar 12, 2012

And it sat there for a bit. Much like the Gueze's people popped.

14. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (380) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Well it's not good if it's not Cantillon....

15. cmon now...horrid? I actually think it is pretty good for a sour that unfortunately is blended with a lager. For the price I would rather they just go with a straight sour, but if this beer was sold in sixers for ~10 bucks, Id be all over it.

16. Those foeders are huge. I took the tour a year or two ago and managed to convince the tour guide to let me have a sample of Clutch they had tapped in the barrel room but didn't have in the tap room. I think I killed the keg.

I don't want to get into a NB debate in this thread but their barrel program is definitely built on a different set of ideas than most breweries and while I don't always agree with Lauren's ideas I can understand why they do the things they do based upon her goals for the beers and the size of the beers. Kriek is a good example. It wouldn't have made sense to just bottle Boon kriek as their own, they had to do something to it to make it a different beer. They do a lot of blending and the two beers used in the sour beers are both lagers so it's not too surprising that they decided to blend the Boon kriek with a lager. Not what I would have done (I would have blended the lambic with a blend of the pale and brown sour beers) but given Lauren's opinion about blending and bottling it was not surprising at all.

17. lonestar4lunch

lonestar4lunch Savant (295) Texas Jan 29, 2006

Hell yes, can't wait. The keg of la folie didnt last but a few days at draught house this week. I really enjoyed the kriek, just had one a few weeks ago and am very glad to see it is back.

18. kmello69

This walked into my hands today. I'll definitely be cracking one tonight!

[​IMG]

19. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Savant (275) Texas Sep 27, 2012

tore up some LaFolie at BRC a few weeks ago on tap.

BRING BACK CLUTCH!!! (still have 1 left)
    [​IMG]

20. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

any word in houston yet? at specs downtown or anything? this month has been expensive for beers lol.

21. kmello69

This month has been ridiculous. My New Year's resolution to buy less beer is not working out right now. :confused: And tomorrow I'm going to get a Kriek and some FW too. Argh.