1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

La Folie

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by StaveHooks, Mar 16, 2013.

1. StaveHooks

StaveHooks Savant (460) Oklahoma Nov 18, 2008

Just cracked a 2013 La Folie and I know this year (pasteurized) is not the same as the previous version but it's damn sour. The 2012 was just as good. Is the previous version that much better?

2. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

It depends upon individual preferences. I prefer fresh, as it was intended by the blenders at NB.

3. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

It's been pasteurized since they went to 22s from 750s.

4. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

The last 750 ml, unpasteurized La Folie was in 2008 FYI.

5. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

I thought 2009 was half unpastuerized C&c and half pasteurized 22oz.

6. djs467

djs467 Aficionado (230) Colorado Mar 1, 2011

La Folie is just a fantastic beer no matter what year your are drinking (pasteurized or un-pasturized)

7. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

This is correct. There was a batch of 750ml corked & caged bottles released in certain markets in early 2009 (I recall purchsing some in February of that year), and then the first round of 22oz capped bottles came out around June of 2009.

In terms of flavor/aging... I've done a side-by-side of the two '09 versions several times since their release, most recently in mid-2012, and I don't think I'd be able to distinguish them blind (i.e., they're not aging that differently, at least to my palate).

8. So what is the significance of pasteurization on how well this beer will age?

9. slvrmon82

slvrmon82 Savant (420) Delaware Dec 4, 2007

beer ages well. I as well did a few year vertical last year and found them to be identical in profile.

My thought is maybe they are blending it or just using the same recipe and the same barrels..?

10. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Pasteurization kills most/all bacteria that would otherwise be living in the bottle. It is the live bacteria that continues to work in the bottle that causes changes over time.

11. So there is no point in aging a new La Folie?

Also, what's their motivation to pasteurize it?

12. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Exactly. No point really. That's why the older c&c non-pasteurized bottles of La Folie are a lot more desirable.

The reason they do this: consistency of their product. They believe that it's great and ready to drink the way it is, and by pasteurizing it, they "lock-in" that state of the beer across the board.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  13. Thanks for the info.

Boo pasteurization. Hooray beer.

14. Yip, I had a bottle of '09 C&C last year. It was bloody sour and bloody delicious :D

15. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I've been told by the 3rd employee of NB that flash pasteurization doesn't kill EVERYTHING :)