1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Lactobacillus Recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by danedelman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. So I just finished kegging my Berliner Weisse and have a lot of Lactobacillus left and cost me good money to buy. What other recipes are out there using this bacteria?? I also used dregs from a couple cantillon's.

Thinking of doing a Flander's Red or Geuze but not sure if that is Lactobacillus or Brett. It is kinda both now. Also, any recipes are welcome!!

BTW-the berliner weisse is awesome and can share the recipe. Tastes better than the Fritz Briehm!!

2. check it (especially the section on "types of microbes(bugs)"

3. This is awesome, thanks!! Basically I can do any style I want.

4. well, lacto can be IBU somewhat sensitive...but if you have brett and pedio in your culture from the dregs, then you'll be good to go, for sure. and I have definitely found repitches of bugs tend to be quite a bit more hardy than initial pitches or first step up from vial/dregs, etc.

good luck!

5. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

One thing to keep in mind is that lacto is more aggressive than brett. Lacto will end up taking over and you likely won't get much brett character. As a result, your beer will come out pretty acidic. I would keep this in mind and go with some lighter that will work well with lacto.

6. Maybe I will make a batch 50% wheat and 50% barley at about 7% and pitch this stuff. I will then keep for a year and redo every year and start blending!! Could be fun.